Cactus League Combat Shotgun Classic

Today was the Cactus League Combat Shotgun Classic Match at the world renowned Ben Avery Shooting Facility.

There were 3 Divisions recognized, Pump, Auto, and Open. There were 5 stages, round count was about 100 shells and 10 slugs. I competed in Open with my Tromix Saiga 12 with AGP Turbo 10 round magazines. There were several other open shooters using traditional tube fed autos with speedloaders.

Long story short, in spite of some minor penalties on my part (1 miss, 1 no shoot), I won Open Division. I placed 2nd/38 over all. Richard Bhella was first auto, and first over all...he's a much better shooter than me so I am not suprised. I'm a middle of the pack shooter normally, the Saiga with 10 round mags allowed me to beat all the tube shooters there except for Richard. I was first place on two of the stages (the ones with the highest round counts).

I was honestly suprised with the results, and I told the gathered crowd "I suck and if the Saiga helps me shoot this good, you guys really need to get Saigas". They all laughed, but I suspect Saiga-12s will be taking off in the competition shooting community soon...doing this well is not something I expect to have happen again when better shooters than I start using them.

Thanks to Tony of Tromix for building me a kick-ass gun, Thanks to Kevin of AGP for giving me the mags to pound on, and thanks to David from Coyote Tactical for building my load bearing rig and mag pouches. I'll be using this all at the Fort Benning 3 Gun Match hosted by the AMU in two weeks.

saiga-win.jpg

I'll post more later...I'm worn out now.

I'm with you I won my last shotgun match by 85 seconds our round counts are always over 100 rounds but it's all bird shot, due to the range restrictions, September Team Saiga took 1,2,3,4, with 35 seconds between TEAM SAIGA and the first Auto.

With me it is the gun not the shooter,

Sin, you should go rub their noses in it on the Shotgunworld tactical forum.

Kevin don't even joke about that!

Edited by topmaul
Sin, you should go rub their noses in it on the Shotgunworld tactical forum.

Kevin don't even joke about that!

Are they non-believers over there?

Tube fed shotguns are 19th century technology. While lever and pump action tube fed rifles are still effective in the right hands for specific purposes, they are not nearly as effective for action shooting or combat as a magazine fed automatic rifle....the leap forward in capabilities is not much less between a manually operated tube fed shotgun and an automatic detachable magazine fed shotgun.

I think you guys are going to dig the video I got.

BTW I hit all the bonus moving targets, rabbit clays, and flying clays that launched really fast and far/high.

There is a shotgun match held in Ozford NC each year I'm trying to put together a TEAM SAIGA contingent to spank butt next year. I find that many people really want a Saiga but they are just too stubbern to move forward. We call Auto's Percussion Caps and Pumps Flintlocks.

I have a thread over called "the best just go better" check it out.

There is a shotgun match held in Ozford NC each year I'm trying to put together a TEAM SAIGA contingent to spank butt next year. I find that many people really want a Saiga but they are just too stubbern to move forward. We call Auto's Percussion Caps and Pumps Flintlocks.

I have a thread over called "the best just go better" check it out.

Ditto on the making believers from the tube-fed types. At NCRR and Blackcreek shoots we refer to the Saiga 12 as being in the "Advanced Division"! :haha:

"Oooooo.....a Remington, how quaint"!

Ron did you get that e-mail I sent, anyway Eric and I want to shot at Black Creek this weekend. I will make time to get to the range so that Eric will have a chance to set up his red blob sight. Also I need to get some fine adjustments on my sights for that 80 yard slug stage.

SR great job!

Nice shooting!

Oddly enough, the year after I started showing up with a 10-round mag-fed shotgun, many of the 3-gun matches had..."loose rounds in a bag" stages, prone stages, "load one slug, then one shot, then one slug, then..." stages...heh heh...

Those oldtech guys are vindictive :)

Alex

Alex if they start pulling that crap, I'll put one of those last round bolt locks on my guns and be right back in business. I don't mind one "Saiga Unfriendly" stage but if that is what way they want to play the game I can play too.

Seriously I plan to put a last round bolt lock on my guns very shortly. It's just when I budget the money for it something comes up like a fuel pump on my van. Or something like that.

It might have been her dad Larry, the guy in the Blue techwear shirt, I gave him the camera to use a couple times. I snapped a bunch of pics of Sarah too, as she was our sponsored Junior shooter for the match...she shoots well, but her 20 gauge 1100 unfortunately suffered from issues related to a bad shell intercept latch.

Video of the Saiga in action: http://www.cavalryarms.com/shotgun/Saiga-12-A.wmv

Edited by SinistralRifleman
awesome video

wher are any of these events held near KY?

I might be interested in watching a few times to see if I could could compete......

do they have that kinda match setup at the Machine Gun Shoot?? if so, I may try that out.....

Dragon

http://www.3gunmatch.com/ check out this sight look at the local match listings you might find something near by.

Nice shooting!

Damn I want that vest of yours. That holds enough to take on a crowd of zombies.

What does it hold?

right now

7 Five Round Magazines

1 Ten Round Magazine

Blow out kit, including curlex, trauma dressings, and Quickclot.

It will eventually have 4 ten round magazines, and 6 five round magazines on it...