Saiga .308 Accuracy Feedback

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum on and off while I was deciding my next purchase. I'm attracted by the saiga .308 since it's cheap and high powered. A question you must get alot is, how accurate are they? Anyone have pictures of their targets along with what rounds they used? Are there ways to improve on it?

Also, can you use it to hunt? I think in Texas, semi-autos need to have certain statures such as a fixed 3 round magazine, but since the magazine is detachable, does it pose a problem?

How difficult is it to mount a scope on this? I've read it has the similar problem as the ak's of an unstable receiver cover. I wouldn't mind using a "scout" type mount and an intermediate pistol scope. How expensive/reliable are the mounts available for the saiga?

I don't beleive there's a mag limit in Texas. Check the regs - I haven't seen any. Lots of guys hunt hogs with these. The issue 8 rounders are good to go.

Accuracy - how good can you shoot? The rifle will typically give you 2" groupings at 100 yards - plenty good for hunting. You can do better - just have to test different loads or manufacture's. I'd stick with 150-165 grain bullets.

Yes you can mount optics - these come equiped with side mount rails - I advise you to get a mount like this: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/akqudesimone.html

And get a lightweight 4x power scope to mount on it- like the Burris minimag 4x - and some light aluminim, low mount rings.

These have good sturdy receivers and if you keep your mount/optics lightweight, you're chances of getting better accuracy with optics is good.

Hope that helps.

OH and welcome to the board! :D

Edited by O.S.O.K.

Hello quatin

I have one of these purchased a couple of years ago. It has a 16" barrel. I have only accuracy tested this rifle/carbine with Australian Surplus ADI Nato Spec. ball ammo. I only shot one group for the test but was pleased with the 1.5" 100 yard group. I don't know about Texas hunting regulations but here in Montana there are no restrictions on using this gun as far as I know. The gun comes with an integral scope mount of the siderail AK type. Relatively inexpensive adapters are available to allow the use of Weaver or Mil Std. 1913 rail scope rings or you can just use a Russian type scope. I purchased a 8X42 Belarus made military type scope for mine and am very pleased with the combination. I wouldn't use a receiver cover mount on this rifle. There are scout type mounts that would be ok if you want to go that way (i.e. Ultimak).

FYI, I've heard anecdotally the 16" version of this gun is more accurate than the 22" barreled version.

Scope Specs: http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=513

My rifle with target (Beware: large picture files!): http://wardragon.com/cruffler/saiga__762_x_51.htm

You will probably be well pleased with the accuracy of the .308 saiga.I know I am with mine.

I dont have any targets to show but from my recent range trips I`ve discovered that my rifle may shoot 1" 5 shot groups @ 100 yds. with my handloads.I say "may" because it has shot several groups into an inch and some a bit wider,when I was testing, my "trigger job" showed my ineptitude at gunsmithing by causing the rifle to double fire a few times...not conducive to concentration when you are shooting for group size!!

I have fixed the problem and will be loading some new rounds,testing will resume next week or so.

So in lew of all the positive comments, what foundation is there that the 16'' barrel is more accurate than the 22'' barrel?

Someone mentioned something about harmonics. I don't know, but that is not the first time I heard it.

Mine shoots more accurate than I am, but accuracy does drop as the barrel gets hot. After the first 8 rounds, my shots are all over the place. But that is normal, show me a rifle that doesn't lose accuracy when it gets hot enough to burn your hand.

Both of my 22" Saigas will routinely do 1-1.25" off the bench with handloads. Favorite is 41 gr IMR 4064 with bulk pack Rem Corelokts 165 gr. Is mild load and 100% function in the Saiga and M1A. Have done sub 1" with load in the M1A. With milsurp, the Saiga will do 2-3" with variuos makes. Every bit as accurate as my M1A and most of my bolt actions.

So in lew of all the positive comments, what foundation is there that the 16'' barrel is more accurate than the 22'' barrel?

I think those claims have been mostly theoretical in nature based on barrel flex. I have seen argumments based on barrel diameter that seemingly debunk that theory. I have NEVER seen an actual side by side comparison of the accuracy of the two rifles conducted or reported.

I had a 22" saiga a couple of years ago,It had a red-star trigger in it and a russian vomz 8x56 scope.

The very best accuracy I could muster from it was about 1.25" at 100 yds.This was with carefully developed handloads shooting from sandbags.I never could trim that last 1/4" from the groups to make a clean M.O.A. but overall I was pleased.

My current 16" has put 5 rounds into an inch several times,so I guess I could say that it has better accuracy potential.

All things being equal most times one will find that a shorter barrel will yield better accuracy,most folks attribute better accuracy to longer barrels but this is usually when we are dealing with open sights,the longer sight radius giving a more accurate alignment with the target usually overcomes the advantage the shorter stiffer barrel has when shot with open sights.

When we use optics we eliminate that advantage and the short stiff barrel usually shows a slight advantage in the accuracy department.

Is the slight accuracy advantage worth the 150 or so F.P.S. velocity loss caused by the shorter barrel?

Only you can decide.

As many have said before and I`ll join in the chorus............

Just buy both!

Bossman

hey buddy, i'm here in houston. you will have no problem with mag size here in Texas, go with the 8 rounders

they will be fine. or if corriea or the fbmg boys have made the 20 rounders, those will be fine too. Accuracy wise, I had a 16 in bbl 308, plus one in 223 and 762.39 , they are all moa when I do my part. As far as scope mounting, i allways found the side mount to be fine, just get you a medium or high ak side mount , and you will be good to go. if you get a scope with a front bell of l32 mm or less, you can use a low side mount.