Saiga .308 or SVD

I have been looking into getting a Saiga .308 and I really wanted to put a SVD style stock on it but then I found out that I needed to have it converted in order to do this. $400 for the rifle and another $400 to have it converted is only about $50 cheaper then just buying an actual SVD. Can someone give me some advise or opinion on this.

pix3497780829.jpg

(This isnt the .308 but it is the stock im interested in but on a 22" not 16")

pix3920380438.jpg

Edited by Rodwell

When you say SVD do you mean a real Russian SVD ($3000 in the US) or Romak 3 (aka FPK, SSG97, PSL) ?

If you can afford to get the Romanian then get it. But I'd advise checking to make sure its an import and not a parts gun. I've seen parts guns (generally marked FPK, Dragunov, and or TN) in pretty poor shape. The imports were brought in by Interordnance as the SSG97 and Century imported them as the Romak 3. So theirs are marked CAI. I've got an import and like it but its not perfect and the Romanian quality never compares to the Russian. I've converted my saiga 308 to thumbhole too and in many ways I like it better (there's a link below). If you have any specific questions let me know.

$400 to convert? Check this out: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_1.htm

Do it yourself for about $150 or so - depending on the buttstock that you get. Buttstocks like the Romanian PSL have are available and will fit perfectly or you can use an ATI or Choate for some more $$$ - but not $400.

Its very easy to do the conversion and change out the fire control group - most all recommend using the Red Star fire control group (shown as Vepr 308 group).

Here is a pic of one that I did and put an ATI stock on:

20500Saiga_308_left_side.jpg

It cost me $500 not counting the scope.

You can get Romanian PSL's for $500 plus shipping and transfer from http://www.southernohiogun.com for example. But, they are chambered for 7.62x54 and aren't as accurate as the Saiga IMHO. You'll have to call them - they only show a few items on thier web site.

Don't get me wrong - the Romanian's are nice rifles and cool looking and the ammo for them is very inexpensive. But for accuracy, the Saiga beats the crap out of them - on average.

The Saiga is chambered for 7.62x51/.308 and now you can get 20 round mags for it too - a nice plus.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

I also wanted a Dragunov/SVD looking rifle. I didn't however like how the pistol grip felt with the Dragunov buttstock. I also didn't want to use 7.62 X 54 ammo. So I converted a Saiga .308 so I had a Galil pistol grip. The darn rifle is great....Hardly any recoil. Now I have a .308 that can shoot as good as any Dragunov and is comfortable to shoot.

Saiga308pg3.jpg

Well I dont really trust myself to do the conversion on my own. Does anyone know where I can order an already converted 308?

www.Tromix.com

I might have just read it wrong but it looked like a converted 308 was $1200...

Think a basic conversion (if you supply your own gun) is about $350 or so, so it shouldn't cost anywhere near $1200 unelss you really went overboard. Believe the .308's are the simplest to convert of the Saigas.

Edited by tritium
Or you could post up your location, and see if anyone in your area might offer to help you with the conversion. Pretty simple, really.

LOL well right now my location is Iraq, dont think too many people on here are converting them near me but I live in SC ill get it updated on my profile, thanks.

LOL well right now my location is Iraq, dont think too many people on here are converting them near me ...........

Find the nearest 10 year old over there, bet they can replace an AK FCG for you blindfolded :osama:

And like he said, watch your 6 and come home safe. We appreciate everything you are doing over there.

Actually the FCG the 10 year old Iraqi kids could change probably isn't the same one as the Saiga.

I thought it was the same. Not the old one you rip out, but the new one that goes in is, right? Standard AK FCG eh?

Ohhhhh, I understand now, thier's includes a full auto sear. Duh!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Vermiform