My first import rifle, ? about 922r

Yesterday at the Hampton gunshow I bought myself a SAIGA 308. This is my first import rifle and I just started hearing this 922R compliance thingy when I started researching if this was a good buy (I should have before I bought it). So far, everything I found is good.

I read numerous thread about 922r and not sure if I understood it right. Basically this is how I understand it... right now if I don't do anything to it (original config) I'm good to go right? I mean, I'm not violating the 922R or whatever law.

Also, I've been hearing that there's a high cap mag (20 rnds) available. Now from what I understand, I need to replace some parts to be 922r compliant before I can use this high cap mag. Is that right? This is where I get confused. Not planning on changing anything like putting a pistol grip, but if I want to use the high cap mag I need to make some changes???

Just to pick up where that thread left off, the stock Saiga with 8 round mag has 14 countable imported parts. So you have to replace 4 of them if you want to make this into an "assault" rifle and use the high capacity mags.

The FBMG mags have us-made body and floorplate with russian followers (I thought these were us too, but I guess not).

So, that leaves you with two imported parts to replace.

Personally, my answer to this situation was to convert my rifle to pistol grip configuration using K-VAR buttstock and pistol grip and Red Star fire control parts and that replaced 4 imported parts.

Just remember not to concern yourself with the us-made parts count - only the imported parts count and you will keep on-track.

If you really want to keep the rifle in standard configuration, then I would go with a us-made disconnector and hammer (Red Star or maybe the Tapco G-2's would work). That is a drop-in affair and quite easy to accomplish. To re-install the bolt hold open, use a twist-tie inserted up through the botton cut-out and looped over the hold open lever (with spring in place) and then pull down to postition the lever's retaining hole with the axis pin - will save you a lot of headaches.

Edited by O.S.O.K.
Just to pick up where that thread left off, the stock Saiga with 8 round mag has 14 countable imported parts. So you have to replace 4 of them if you want to make this into an "assault" rifle and use the high capacity mags.

The FBMG mags have us-made body and floorplate with russian followers (I thought these were us too, but I guess not).

So, that leaves you with two imported parts to replace.

Personally, my answer to this situation was to convert my rifle to pistol grip configuration using K-VAR buttstock and pistol grip and Red Star fire control parts and that replaced 4 imported parts.

Just remember not to concern yourself with the us-made parts count - only the imported parts count and you will keep on-track.

If you really want to keep the rifle in standard configuration, then I would go with a us-made disconnector and hammer (Red Star or maybe the Tapco G-2's would work). That is a drop-in affair and quite easy to accomplish. To re-install the bolt hold open, use a twist-tie inserted up through the botton cut-out and looped over the hold open lever (with spring in place) and then pull down to postition the lever's retaining hole with the axis pin - will save you a lot of headaches.

Thanks... appreciate the info.

I have a Saiga 308 in the wood 22in. I have some of those 20rd mags on order. If I understand that if I want to use those mags All I ould have to do is get the Red Star FG and I would be safe? So changing the piston to a US would not be enough?

Edited by Birrdog
I have a Saiga 308 in the wood 22in. I have some of those 20rd mags on order. If I understand that if I want to use those mags All I ould have to do is get the Red Star FG and I would be safe? So changing the piston to a US would not be enough?

FBMG 20-round mags use imported followers, therefore they only replace two of the 14 imported parts. You'll need two more. The easy choices are: RSA hammer, gas piston, or tromix followers.

Larry

Edited by LESchwartz