No, the gun isn't particularly interesting at least not as a collectible. It's not especially beautiful either. (except to me) What is interesting about this gun though is that I purchased it as a kit nearly 30 years ago and I just finished it today!

I picked up this Thompson/Center Hawken .45 cal. kit sometime in 1976 for $99 after I was married and before two children. The stock was finished in short order and the barrel flats were ¾ complete when family responsibilities made it a low priority. I can't even tell you how many times this kit got moved around from one corner to the next over the years.

I never did finish the barrel. That's a Green Mountain IBS .50 cal. replacement barrel on there now. Maybe in another 30 years I'll get around to the .45.

I should get out on Sunday to try it, finally OR maybe I should sell it! They are asking over $600 for a new T/C Hawken these days.

Nahhh!!!

post-4307-1164666790_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else out there have a kit they need finished? I'll get right on it! (Delivered with an antique patina like mine) :eek:

Dinzag, I have an order for a muzzle brake in the mail. I'll finish my Saiga project MUCH sooner!

G O B, I'll sight it in for 100 yds.

Edited by pogy

I finally got out this past Sunday to shoot the Hawken. I have to say that I was a bit intimidated by a guy one point over that was shooting a more modern BP rifle. He was popping a 3" group @ 100yds and seemed pretty disappointed.

I hadn't loaded a black powder rifle in my life. My experiance was 9 months working @ Colonial Williamsburg back in the mid 70's firing muskets with paper wads for tourists. I ambitiously started out @ 50 yds with no paper after 3 shots. Moved in to 25 yds- no paper. At 15 yds I had 4 shots touching @ 6 O'clock on the 7 ring. At this point the gun was pretty dirty and needed a through cleaning.

I am pretty impressed overall. I just need to get the elevation issue resolved. Quite a difference between spending 10 minutes shooting off 25-200 rounds on a Saiga to 2 shots with the Hawken!!!

Edited by pogy
I finally got out this past Sunday to shoot the Hawken. I have to say that I was a bit intimidated by a guy one point over that was shooting a more modern rifle. He was popping a 3" group @ 100yds and seemed pretty disappointed.

I hadn't loaded a black powder rifle in my life. My experiance was 9 months working @ Colonial Williamsburg back in the mid 70's firing muskets with paper wads for tourists. I ambitiously started out @ 50 yds with no paper after 3 shots. Moved in to 25 yds- no paper. At 15 yds I had 4 shots touching @ 6 O'clock on the 7 ring. At this point the gun was pretty dirty and needed a through cleaning.

I am pretty impressed overall. I just need to get the elevation issue resolved. Quite a difference between spending 10 minutes shooting off 25-200 rounds on a Saiga to 2 shots with the Hawken!!!

I have a Lyman .54 cal flintlock....I had more fun missing a deer with that then I did getting a deer with my 30-06...

now if I would just stop that infamous "flintlock flinch" from happening

"I have a Lyman .54 cal flintlock....I had more fun missing a deer with that then I did getting a deer with my 30-06... now if I would just stop that infamous "flintlock flinch" from happening"

Yah Joe-

Flintlocks are another whole set of things to deal with.