Safe to use heavy bullets in S-308/30-06? or stick to military weight

WHY? 308 was never intended to shoot 180 plus bullets.it can,, it sucks at it too. they kick like a bitch. i use a 169 bthp match bulet i my 16 in sagia 308 . same load i use in my m14 match gun.. it performs almost as well in the saiga as the m14. i just popped a deer with this a week ago,, 168 as a police sniper round did exactly as it was supposed to do,,, destabalized, fractured at the rear of the air cavity, sending secondary missles off for mazimum wounding, the base of the bullet destabalized again tumbled end over end ad took a left turn and gutted the deer for me. this is what i like one load that shoots in all my guns..

recipe 168 bthp,, lc brass, cci or win primer. 43grains of accurate 2520 powder gives 2650 fps from 22 in bbl. @900 ft elevation. groups are phenominal, now i have tried other premium loads in the saiga, amax and grand slam do well, just nothing over 170gr .. if you need more bullet than this , then you need more gun, which brings you to 3006 or magnums. if you need a magnum then pony up and shoot a 50 bmg. no question there, mine kills everything it sees.

o texas hogs a heavier bullet is not going to penetrate that grissle plate,, i found this out,, faster bullet heavy construction deep penetration. fmj shhhhhh, does real well, so does ap. but not exactly legal i think, ..... what i really liked on hogs is remington bronze point... knocked the snot outa big hogs... but not available any more,,,, but.............

LOST RIVER BALISTIICS are ... they are hand turned solid copper with a copper point,, look like fmj. but not... they are the very best dangerous game bullets out there. not cheap.. and take special loading because of their longer length,, but they are the best... find them on the web.

Edited by lsgs

Indeed. Your second sentence touches on exactly my quandry: was the saiga ever meant to fire a heavier bullet? or, at least can it do so safely?

As for handloading 308, i dont- so that excellent recipe goes in my files but i can't make use of it just yet.

50BMG- well, i am sure it would work on a TX pig; just a bit too well if i want to harvest any meat!

OK, so here we have the 30-06 180gr Bronze Point: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/66200-7332-110.html

180gr @2700, BC .412, for $26.29

and

the 150gr variety @ 2910fps for $26.21 (BC .365).

Now, you're experience has been that the 150gr or even the 180gr Bronze Points will NOT pepetrate the thick grizzle over a big hogs shoulder?

C-

I believe the .308 Saiga has a twist of 1 in 320mm or about 1 in 12.6". That means it will have trouble stabilizing longer bullets at velocities that the .308 can safely achieve. I do know that Barnes Bullets told me that their heavier bullets (don't think that applies to the MRX) won't do well in our twist.

I think a Barnes MRX would do well and I'd bet big time that 150gr Barnes Triple Shock or Winchester Fail Safe will put the hurt on any pig shot at any position. Those slugs just don't break up or significantly deform. Don

Edited by Harpoon

It's bad JU JU to use verry heavy bullets in semi-auto actions. The Saiga MAY be strong enough, but it will not be happy. If you are not getting penetration, use STRONGER not heavier bullets. Find bullets with high velocities and controlled expansion. If you are shooting through heavy bone try hard cast bullets. As for the verry heavy bullets,>150 in .308 or 180 in'06, only fire them through ROBUST bolt actions, like an'03 Sringfield or a large ring Mauser. I have shot 220 cast bullets with a .30-06 springfield and I am damned glad it was in the Sprindfield and not something lighter!

150 bronze point s do very well on hogs..... stick with 150 to 168 weight bullets.. just heavier construction..

lost river ballistics makes their own ammo also... look them up.they are ea hand lathe turned solid copper, with a separate point like abronze poiint. they are for heavy and dangerous game. i used one on a whitetail in a 308.. gutted the deer for me. spper grand slam or afriican grand slam puts down big hogs too.

The action will handle the weight however there is no reason to shoot that heavy of a bullet for medium weight game. There are quality hunting Nosler, Hornady, Remington 150 gr. bullets available as well as other brands. Chose a different rifle if you need to shoot heavier bullets.

Edited by 24kshooter

yes 24k exactly if you absolutely have to shoot a 180 gr bullet then learn this ,,,, 180s in 308 must be seated short,, which decreased case capacity, which reduces velocity. plus factor in a short bbl if you have on less than 22in. about 100fps per inch. and the fact that 180 gr comes outof a 308 at 2200 to 2400 tops on a good day . so what we have found is that in 180 they are considered more of a brush buster? why and who gave it this name who knows. but for close range a 180 round nose does great, like a speer 180 roundnose.. used them on hogs they knocked them ded,, within 200 yards. dumped all their energy in animal. try them.

Hmmm...

That's pretty good info there.

Sincer I was looking into bbl twists and a 1:12 in 30-cal will stabilize a bullet of 180gr as long as it comes out at 2600 fps or more.

Lower velocity or higher bullet weight and I read recommendations of a 1:10 twist like most american 30-06's are.

So, you all think the action can handle the extra stress, but its not a very good choice because of stability issues?

C-