Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

Looks great Ranger! How do you like that Ergo grip?

Thanks al lot!! I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Actually, I like the grip a lot. It is nicely contoured to fit my hand, and not just a round piece of plastic. Like any good Hillbilly, I took it out on the deck last night and fired off a couple of rounds down the hill into my pond. It didn't blow up, so I must have done everything right!!! :super:

Now I'm looking for another 7.62 to put some nice russian wood furniture on............. yeah, I'm pretty sure I got the bug now.... :o

Cool, thanks for the info. For my next conversion, I either want the Ergo Grip, or a Saw grip, I can't decide.

+1 on the wood furniture. I was the same way after my first conversion, I wanted wood for the next one. I still might go with wood, who knows. I change my mind 100 times a day. :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

7.62x39 Saiga... Full conversion. I wanted to build a modern AK at a good price as my personal beater rifle.

PICT0342.jpg

PICT0346.jpg

PICT0347.jpg

Some PK-A action 2 days before I finished the gun in the above pictures...

PICT0319.jpg

Shoots damn good... got a few more touch ups to do but my full conversion is more or less completed. I'll probably wrap some paracord around the romy folder... for some cheek support.

$300 rifle + $250 in parts + a week of on and off labor... = a gun I would of paid $750+ for.

Edited by Tyrvidar
hi my name is christina i am new to this page .I have a new found love for shooting.I have a kel tec sub 40 rifle and my saiga 7.62 that i converted .

Well let's see some pics of the converted Saiga Christina...and welcome to the site.

Im with rangerdavid on this one. Just finished up my build from the group buy. Still need to put in a bullet guide and in time the barrel will get threaded....

Oh yeah, she's Dimpled X'ed and Y'ed

More pics to come on Sunday after the weekend.

post-5354-1210817991_thumb.jpg

post-5354-1210818002_thumb.jpg

Ok, here's mine just converted with the stuff from the 3rd group buy. I like it!!
Looks great rangerdavid. What scope is that ? Nice looking rifle. theDuke

Hay Duke, and thanks. The scope is a NCStar Mark III tactical. Nice price on Ebay for around $130.00.

post-10283-1211167283_thumb.jpg

I can't believe I sweated doing this conversion for 3 months! The last straw was the non-conversion stock and pistol grip. They look like shit. I finally decided to sack-up and convert. I can't believe how easy it turned out to be. I'm pretty far from being a gunsmith. If I can do this in less than 3 hours, I imagine anyone should be able to pull it off!

TAPCO single hook G-2 FCG

TAPCO M4 6Position stock

TAPCO SAIGA Galil Vented Forend Grip

TAPCO Original AK Pistol Grip

DINZAG Hole Plugs

DINZAG Disconnector Spring

DINZAG AK Retaining Plate (a MUST have)

I also left out the factory BHO and copied DINZAGs BHO cutout in the selector lever. It works GREAT! (sorry Dude)

Well now I guess it's time to start planning the conversion of my S-20! Also have to figure out how to sneak a new S-12 into the house without the old lady finding out...lol Luckily Evil Black Rifles all look the same to her. BIGGOT!!

Edited by scor5150pio

I tried to get a really decent photo of my rifle. I ended up with these 3 photos, but will probably redo them when I get help with my camera.

post-5881-1211197737_thumb.jpg

I contacted Matt at IronWood Designs for my stock set and he made one from walnut for me.

Matt is always covered up, but hates to keep people waiting so it took me a couple of weeks to understand that when he says a "few days" to ship, it usually means "a few weeks".

He did a great job for me, and even did a FREE upper handguard for me, after I cracked my first one twice while putting it on the gas tube. Matt does is A+ work, is very resonable on price BUT like almost all good things, you must be willing to wait.

I decided to go for the dark Russian stock look, instead of the brighter red. I picked these 3 photos to show the colors and texture of the wood.

This is my second (but not last) conversion.

post-5881-1211197776_thumb.jpgpost-5881-1211197707_thumb.jpg

The wood is dark walnut but I wanted to give it some "Russian Plum" color so I used one coat of Red Mahogany (MinWax) oil stain to give it the tint of purple. It shows more in the buttstock, and why I don't know. One thing about wood and that is no 2 pieces ever take the stain the same, even if they are from the same tree.

After the one coat of stain I followed up with 4-7 coats of hand rubbed polyurethane varnish. I had never hand rubbed a varnish before, and so I was amazed at how the varnish rubs in leaving a rock hard finish. I like it. It really makes your arm muscles sting.

louielouie

p.s. I have a walnut pistol grip to go with it, but I am not done with it yet. If you really want to see some beautiful grain walnut just open the last photo as large as you can. It should fill your screen.

post-5881-1211203387_thumb.jpg

Edited by louielouie

terrace_mountain,

I like your paint or coating or?

Is it DuraCoat?

What shade is it?

Did you do it yourself?

Nice overall look.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie
terrace_mountain,

I like your paint or coating or?

Is it DuraCoat?

What shade is it?

Did you do it yourself?

Nice overall look.

louielouie

Thanks, I went for the AK-100/Bulgarian style. Simple, classic, and sexy. As for paint, the only painting I did was a few coats with grill/oven spray on the bottom of the reciever after swabbing it down with some rubbing alcohol. The rest is stock from IZHMASH. My rifle was NIB and looked pretty decent to begin with.

Ok, here's mine just converted with the stuff from the 3rd group buy. I like it!!

Holy crap!

Nice job! :super:

Is that a side folding stock or just a skeleton stock?

hay neighbor, it's the ACE non-folding stock. Met you're roomate at the gun club..... later :-)

Here is mine for now. I will be at some point threading the barrel and adding a FH and i need to get some optics on it, but here it is for now: post-10834-1211597966_thumb.jpg post-10834-1211598033_thumb.jpg post-10834-1211598067_thumb.jpg post-10834-1211598004_thumb.jpg Tapco folding stock, Tapco SAW pistol grip, Dinzag's G2 FCG, vertical fore grip, and Master Molder mags.

Holy crap!

Nice job! :super:

Is that a side folding stock or just a skeleton stock?

hay neighbor, it's the ACE non-folding stock. Met you're roomate at the gun club..... later :-)

Yea he mentioned that a few weeks ago. We'll have to meet up there sometime and do some shooting.

My first Saiga......

cimg024812xxframedak4.th.png

Hay, nice rifle! and welcome to the forum. is that a 223 or 308 cal??

Judging by the mag it looks like a 7.62. Which kinda makes sense in the 7.62 picture topic

I think that the stock set may in fact be an old Romy G set. I bought it off a guy on guns america but it had no mention of origin. That bump in the front that looks like it originally had a forward grip coming out of it actually feels pretty good. I thought I wasn't gonna be happy with the thing but when I tried it out last night it just felt really natural, kind of like the bump filled my palm of my hand and allowed me to get a better grip on the thing.

Now as far as that gismo that is holding my cleaning rod goes, it's a bulgarian front sight block from K-var. I wanted to hang the cleaning rod on my gun but would not be able to do it if the FSB had a bayonet lug or if it was threaded because I live in a shit hole of a state. I checked out K-vars site and they have these sight blocks for I believe $9.00 and the only thing they have on them is a loop for the cleaning rod to go through. They have the correct pin spacing and ID for the saiga 7.62 barrel too. http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=290&page=1

Hi guys! First post... and first Saiga (7.62x39). This baby is my new "project" rifle. I can't wait to research it, study it and modify it. To what end I don't know yet... but I just know it's gonna be a blast! Ha!

Firing this puppy this weekend proved to me that my SKS loves are wonderful... but this rifle is sweeter! And they all use the same ammo!

Here's my new toy: saiga762x39wy8.jpg