Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

Here are two of mine..The one with the fixed stock has the blue removed from the Bolt handle. Give it that old Soviet Look.

saigatogerther.jpg

And if you look closely, you don't see the rivet holes. I filled them in..

lookonholes.jpg

Edited by Zazale
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

Final incarnation (for now) of my Saiga 7.62x39mm: K-Var US furniture (Warsaw Pact length stock) with home converted East German lower handguard retainer, Tapco G2 FCG, 24mm FSB with AK103 brake, RAM 2000 speed magazine release, Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer 40 rounder and AK74 bayonet, FSE Russian grenade launcher recoil pad, and home made over-the-shoulder patrol sling like M60 gunners in my day used. Who needs full auto? This will scare the piss out of them just looking at it!

B, that thing scares me just looking at it, then I look over to my gun cabinet and get comforted. :)

How did you work around the dimples on the front Site Block. Did you drill or dermal?

I drilled them out a little at a time on a drill press

My second conversion.

A lot of fun.

Hogue rubber grip

Tromix FCG CSS

JT Reduced pull spring for trigger CSS

Changed gas tube for one with Heat Shield DPH.

Tapco foldable stock

Cut down SMG LHG to accomadate HS

Mag release extension from Blackjack

30 round Thermo mags

Danzig bullet guide although not needed with these mags

Side mount quick release UTG mount

Holo sight 4 recticle, 7 level brightness

DPH clip and flash hider

Dura Coat hand guard and gas tube by Devin

Bolt polished by Cobra

25mw class IIIB laser sight

post-18132-1252679984_thumb.jpg

post-18132-1252679993_thumb.jpg

post-18132-1252680039_thumb.jpg

post-18132-1252680052_thumb.jpg

post-18132-1252680072_thumb.jpg

post-18132-1252680094_thumb.jpg

post-18132-1252680133_thumb.jpg

Final incarnation (for now) of my Saiga 7.62x39mm: K-Var US furniture (Warsaw Pact length stock) with home converted East German lower handguard retainer, Tapco G2 FCG, 24mm FSB with AK103 brake, RAM 2000 speed magazine release, Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer 40 rounder and AK74 bayonet, FSE Russian grenade launcher recoil pad, and home made over-the-shoulder patrol sling like M60 gunners in my day used. Who needs full auto? This will scare the piss out of them just looking at it!

B, that thing scares me just looking at it, then I look over to my gun cabinet and get comforted. :)

How did you work around the dimples on the front Site Block. Did you drill or dermal?

I drilled them out a little at a time on a drill press

I figured as much, It looks really nice. I'm going to have to give it a try. I've got a few of them 74 front site blocks.

Here's my dimpled Russian beauty. It is complete with bullet guide and all. Russian style grenade launcher recoil pad, Ram 2000 speed mag catch ans DPH AK 74 muzzle brake (Both from Greg at Carolina Shooting Supplies) and Bulgarian cirlce 10 arsenal mags.

post-14200-12532143639522_thumb.jpg

post-14200-12532145601678_thumb.jpg

post-14200-12532147593698_thumb.jpg

My latest addition to the family.

gallery_16466_347_440092.jpg

gallery_16466_347_61920.jpg

K-VAR butt stock and Pistol Grip

K-Var FCG

Re-used factory Trigger guard

Midwest Industries Front Hand Guard quad rail

Dinzag Gas Tube

Dinzag FHG bolt on retainer

Russian sling

Circle 10 mag

DPH clip on muzzle brake

Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot scope

Well, guys, this is a 10 year conversion right here.

I got this rifle back in October 1999 and my original goal was to do a US parts conversion while still leaving it in its stock configuration (i.e. no pistol grip). Unfortunately my plans were ahead of their time back then since the appropriate number of parts didn't exist for Saigas. I recently accomplished the goal using modified US made AK trigger group parts a Tapco handguard and a custom stock from BRG3 to keep the parts count correct. The stock is a custom one of his no-conversion stocks. I had him inlet it to accept an SKS buttplate. I also had it drilled for the hole that holds the SKS cleaning kit in an SKS stock. Now I can keep my Saiga cleaning kit in the stock. I'd eventually like to replace the Tapco handguard with the SGM tactical Saiga Tri-rail forearm so this one is just a place holder for now. What I'd really like is a forearm that allows me to store the cleaning rod under the barrel, but no such thing exists so I'll have to make do without for now.

Having added the appropriate number of US made parts it became legal to install a bullet guide in the trunion to allow the rifle to feed from regular AK mags. Fortunately I'd purchased one from Dinzag years ago (yes, I've been planning this for a wile). Usually this requires a little bit of modification to the mag release on the rifle but fortunately my rifle was one of the early ones where regular AK mags would fit in place without modification (though they wouldn't feed because of the lack of a feed ramp). I can now use it with any AK mags. The scope is nothing special, just a Tapco scope I had on hand. I haven't been able to sight it in yet so I still mostly use it with the iron sights.

Like I said, I planned this out for about 10 years and finally managed the modifications with the help of people from this board so I figured I'd let you guys see how it turned out.

Here it is:

standing_left.JPG

right.jpg

That is sweet. Good job. I hope I can pull something close to that with mine.

My latest addition to the family.

K-VAR butt stock and Pistol Grip

K-Var FCG

Re-used factory Trigger guard

Midwest Industries Front Hand Guard quad rail

Dinzag Gas Tube

Dinzag FHG bolt on retainer

Russian sling

Circle 10 mag

DPH clip on muzzle brake

Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot scope

Moe - can you take the gas tube off easily for cleaning, or do you have to unscrew bolts?

Moe - can you take the gas tube off easily for cleaning, or do you have to unscrew bolts?<t;
Unfortunately you have to remove the top of the rail for gas tube cleaning. It only has 2 set screws that need to come out. I haven't cleaned it since I installed the tube, but I am guessing it isn't going to take much. Edited by Moe Zambeak

here is my recently completed restoration.

Tapco SAW grip, Tapco G2 FCG, Tapco Warsaw stock, surplus 30, filed catch (Tapco gas piston and Dinzag bullet guide will be going in once i get some good bits), all parts from Carolina Shooters Supply. just your basic resto.

post-20217-12541059306019_thumb.jpg

post-20217-12541059553389_thumb.jpg

another update. modified handguard and gas tube, DuraCoated WWII OD Green.

imag0002nh.jpg

imag0003ly.jpg

to quad rail or not to quad rail, that is the question now.

Great looking gun! Good job on the duracoat. I am in the middle of either doing my own in dark earth brown (magpul), or having a buddy of mine blast it and parkerize it in black. Great job! I am still on the fence about the tri rail. I do like the Galil I put on it. I just want some where to mount my red dot. Looking at a side mount right now.

Finally a proud owner of a Saiga! I tossed the hand guard issue around for a while, but am very happy to have made my decision on the Galil one. The furniture is OD, as will be the magazines as well. My future plans are to have it beaded (stripped), then either parkerize it in black or paint it Magpul Dark Earth. I love to tinker, so this has been a dream come true. I am completely shocked at how easy the conversion was...all of it. The only thing I have left to do for now is a muzzle brake (still debating on threading or clip on), a side rail (no scope, but a removable holo sight, buy a butt load or rounds, and shoot the piss out of it. I tossed the M-4/m16/Ak debate around for long enough and decided that I wanted something different then the rifle I lived with for 21 years. Nothing wrong with them at all, excellent rifle. Just wanted something with a little more hitting power behind it, and my KD Qual days are long gone. This rifle just feels right. Can't phrase it any better then that. Also, thank you all for your help and guidance as well. Again, I can't believe how easy the conversion was. Wow. It is all shinny because I always soak new rifles/shotguns/pistols in CLP for a week or so. Semper Fi!

post-20243-12550585709897_thumb.jpg

post-20243-12550585948644_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjgusmc21
  • Like 1

Yeah. I'd been looking at some CAA and saw they were foreign made. Have you handled a Tapco collapsible before to make a comparison between it and your CAA collapsible?

nah, this was my first conversion and before i had the CAA I had a thumbhole stock. I do like the CAA stock tho, especially with the adj. cheek rest. One thing I had to do tho was shave a little off the pistol grip nut I got from CSS to make the grip fit tight, but I think its just cuz every gun's a lil different...

Yea, not american made (not worried tho cuz I'm still 922r compliant) but overall a good product in my opinion...

I've finally finished the major work on my Saiga. Been sitting on this project for like a year. ^_^

Saigaconverted03.jpg

Tapco T6 Stock (left over from the Saiga Intrafuse pack that I foolishly bought when I 'wasn't going to convert')

ATI Strikeforce PG

Tapco G2 pre-modded trigger group

Tapco US-made mags (for now)

Dinzag Bullet guide

Evilblackrifles.jpg

The Evil Black Rifle™ gun case.

Saigaboltcarrier.jpg

Close-up of my bolt carrier. Unfortunately I only have 150 grit emery paper at the moment, and I need something rougher to get the deeper dings, divots and scratches out. Still shiny in the meantime though, enough to take a nice fingerprint. ^_^ The red you see in the picture is the reflection of my camera. I followed up the sanding with green Heavy Metal Polish.

Edited by JanusthePhoenix