Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

Excellent job! I've been wanting to add an underfolder to the toolbox. A Saiga UF would be the best of several worlds. I had thought about picking up a parts kit to do the swap, nice to hear that it works out well. I'm not much of a welder so I'd probably bolt the trunnion.

I'm a woodworking hobbyist and I have a nice slab of tiger maple stashed away. Been thinking about turning it into AK furniture, I think it would look amazing.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

We just got this Saiga and it worked it over. Some of the mods include...

- installed a standard handguard retainer

- installed the FSB with 24.5mm threads

- installed K-Var black furniture (stock, handguards and pistol grip)

- installed and plug welded a new factory bullet guide

- relocated the trigger group and installed a G2 set

- removed the "lug" from the left side of the trunion (inside and out)

- move the trigger guard forward and rivet the rear portion to the receiver

- cut and threaded the cleaning rod

- installed a new upper gas tube and K-Var upper handguard

- installed Bulgarian military-issue 24.5mm muzzle brake

- TIG welded the holes where the old trigger pins and trunion "lug" were located

- removed the ridge in the rear of the magazine well to use standard magazines

ak103saiga22jw9.jpg

ak103saiga11st9.jpg

ak103bulletguidewc6.jpg

thanks,

Ron

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing to mine. Very nice!!!

So I got home late last night about 11:00pm after being stuck in ridiculous traffic for over 3 hours, and there was all my pistol grip conversion parts sitting in a box at my door... so I just said "F it" and as of 5:30am when I finished, here is what my rifle now looks like.

converted.jpg

:killer: Turned out pretty damn sweet if you ask me

I'm getting an Eotech 553 for it next week (already destroyed 3 inexpensive red dots, so this time I'm doing it right) and I'm deciding whether to put that Tromix Shark Brake on it, but I'll see how I like how it shoots first like it is before I decide.

Edited by stix213

LOL nice work stix I know even at 530 you wanted to go play with that sexy ho...good lookin, I want to do another one.

Oh exactly. Someone needs to make some silent and "indoor safe" rounds so you can mess around with your guns in the house!!! (just kidding of course) Shot the thing over the weekend and it was SWEET!!!

I did a complete conversion on this 09'...I took step by step pics that I will post in the future.

finished in Duracoat tactical black...I like HK black for most of my projects, but wanted something less reflective.

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-3.jpg

006-13.jpg

002.jpg

I did a complete conversion on this 09'...I took step by step pics that I will post in the future.

finished in Duracoat tactical black...I like HK black for most of my projects, but wanted something less reflective.

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-3.jpg

006-13.jpg

002.jpg

Fantastic looking rifle! Like the duracoat job. Been thinking about this my self on my next project. Where did you get the Kobra from? Been tinkering with this the thought of one of these also. Just a little pricey for me. Again, GREAT job!

• 2 weeks later...

It ain't fancy but its mine. I still need to do the trigger mod, which is planned for the next 30 days.

off to a good start. 30 days to do the trigger will leave you with lots of free time. i'd say about 29 1/2 days of free time. :haha:

Got in an Apex Bulgy wood set for $25.. A little sanding and Min-Wax Golden Pecan..

that set came out nice AA. Did you have to sand rough spots or was the wood nice when received?

GregM1..

Thanks. The set only had 2 rough spots on the lower HG which came out pretty easy.

I left 2 small aresenal marks on the lower HG also (number 89 in a circle on the bottom near the receiver)

post-8775-12753071120399_thumb.jpg

The wood it self was good the stock was a light yellow stain and the lower & upper were dark stained.

Sanded all 3 pieces >>>

post-8775-12753072739658_thumb.jpg

and then went with a color in the middle.. 027.gif

post-8775-127530736819_thumb.jpg

Here is my SGL-21. I've got an Aimpoint T-1 mounted on an Ultimak gas tube, a Romanian lever-atyle wire folder, a Templar Tactical Insurgent sling attached with wire loops, a bulgy fh, a trigger pin retaining plate, and some home brewed camo on her.

post-22730-057186700 1275656622_thumb.jpg

post-22730-048169500 1275656631_thumb.jpg

Finsihed my conversion today. took about 6 hours but that includes about two hours of paint dry time, since I used a primer in additiion to the black paint. Everything went OK. Took me a while to get the rivets out and of course the BHO took longer then it should. Now I have to see if it actually works. Since I never shot it before the conversion, this will be my first outing. I can really tell a difference in the balance and it shoulders much easier. I like the shorter profile as well.

DSC_0142.jpg

Well,

I believe I have this the way I want - at least for now. Here are the specs:

Saiga 7.62x39 - no "Y" or Dimples

Tapco FCG

Tapco SAW-style PG

K-VAR NATO-length Stock

K-VAR Handguard

Bulgarian-Style FSB from Dinzag

Bulgarian 74-style brake (drilled out to 3/8" or .40")

AKM Cleaning Rod that needs to be re-threaded (had to chop it off to get it to fit)

Dinzag's flat-trunnion bullet guide (kit)

Ultimac gas tube mount

Chinese knock-off Aimpoint T1 micro (co-witnesses with iron sites)

AK sling

Master Molder mags (I like the weight savings right now)

Starting with 16 countable (foreign) parts (the brake is foreign), this puts me at 7 countable (foreign) parts if I include the magazines, 10 if I don't. I could still change the piston if I needed to.

gallery_4394_103_5223587.jpg

I've been waiting on this upload due to trouble opening up the brake. I am now a true believer in the cobalt-coated bits. I ruined my HSS 3/8" bit trying to open up the brake. I broke down and paid $15.00 at ACE for a cobalt 3/8" bit and was done in seconds. If they only didn't cost so much. . .

• Like 1