Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

It's just really bad light and a poor cell phone camera. They are all supposed to be Dark Earth but it's a Magpul stock, a Tapco Galil forearm and the pistol grip is from CAA. They were all marked Dark Earth but they don't match.

I will take a better pic tonight.

I did put the JTE main spring in and man it made a huge difference in the trigger. I am used to very clean "glass rod breaking" triggers. This still doesn't compare to the triggers I use on my competition rifles, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was....

Edited by TxStrat
  • Like 1

in good light they are closer than it appears in that pic. The pistol grip is a lot lighter than the magpul stock and tapco forearm. Honestly I didn't even give it a thought, I thought they would match a lot closer than they do. I bought everthing from CSS and this is not a shot at them. The kit had a saw grip in it, but there was an option to "upgrade" to the adjustable grip for some additional money. I can't remember exactly what it cost. I have short fat fingers and most of the time thumbhole stocks and pistol grip stocks are difficult for me to use, so I upgraded in hopes that I could use the "small" inserts. They really should have a "disclaimer" that says they might not match.

• Like 1

Yeah, I got a Tapco DE handguard and wanted the Magpul stock but was worried about the color matching so I just went with a Tapco stock body on a CAA buffer tube from CSS. I bet if you put the saw grip on you could live with it :blues:

Probably, but comfort and accuracy (and I mean making sure that I can do my part) are more important than a beauty contest...although I'll say that there are a lot of great looking AKs in this thread. I was thinking about utility when I went with the platic stock and forearm, but these rifles with the nice wood furniture on them really look awesome!

While I'm posting pics, I figured I'd add this here.

Z-Recto-finished Russian laminated wood on what I believe is an early Krebs build. I never actually shoot this thing (just once since I got it back in the 90s) as it's too purty to have it clomped around in the sticks getting scratched up. GP-30 repro is just for show.

post-13226-0-64388700-1311971966_thumb.jpg

post-13226-0-19754400-1311971979_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

mr scratch what technique did z-recto use to refinish? is it the pine tar shellac turpentine technique? is z-recto on this site? ps super nice wood!

I believe it is an Ancient Chinese Secret, but Z_Recto is widely acknowledged for producing the best Russian AK refinishing. My pics here don't even do the work justice, the lamination just lights up in the sunlight. Here's a before/after of his work on someone else's milled set:

post-13226-0-48013800-1312052319_thumb.jpg post-13226-0-37160500-1312052335_thumb.jpg

He's not a contributor here so I don't know if I can post a link to his contact info, but googling "Z_recto" "Z-recto" or "Z recto" would probably enable you to track him down.

Don't you love it when you get it all back together and think you've beaten the monster just to realize you've put your hammer spring in upside down and get to do it all over again :angel:

I know a ton of people that messed up the hammer the first time in a conversion. Me included. I guess its just easy to do :P

Don't you love it when you get it all back together and think you've beaten the monster just to realize you've put your hammer spring in upside down and get to do it all over again :angel:

I guess I'm not the only one who did this! lmao!!!!

I must admit, I did the same thing as well :lolol:

This is my work in progress, soon my stock will be an arsenal warsaw, my forearm will be the sgm tri rail, and it will have a gas tube with a vented steel upper handguard. For now it has a texas ak trigger group, phantom flash hider, hogue grip and dinzag bullet guide plus a few steel mags. It has never malfunctioned and probably never will. I am beyond happy with this project.

Is your phantom flash hider the extended one or the regular length one?

TG

Hi all, just finished my first conversion. It was a lot of fun, can't wait to shoot it! Thanks to Dinzag and K-Var for a quick turnaround and professional service. I even lucked out and got a dimpled receiver!

All Saiga's made in the past few years have had dimples.

3Ai2B.jpg

My IZ-132 after conversion and test-firing/sighting in.

I have a TAPCO Intrafuse on the way after the Galil retainer broke. I had a short TAPCO Vertical Grip sitiing here, too. so that's next (plus I am going to get the Vortex SPARC for my UTG side rail mount).

Shoots like a damn dream after the conversion. did a 70 ft sight in using the Arsenal target and tool and i had two groups in the bullseye (5 rds each) just resting off a tailgate.