Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

Well, my lazy ass finally got around to finishing it up all the way. Bulgy GB and FSB.

I'll take a more "model" like shot in the daylight tomorrow.

That is a great looking rifle. What stock set is that?

Tapco TimberSmith, black laminate.
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

In the process of finding a 16" barrel, replacing the mounted scope with an HK rear site, and putting on a folding stock.

Screw the rest, convert that SOB before doing another damned thing.
  • Like 1

In the process of finding a 16" barrel, replacing the mounted scope with an HK rear site, and putting on a folding stock.

Screw the rest, convert that SOB before doing another damned thing.

Your lookin to spend good money, youll be much happier after you convert it. Edited by Boomsick42
  • 2 weeks later...

Was going for the East German look. Much like an MPi-KMS. It's pretty much the same, minus the brake, and the forgrip. I'm too lazy to change out some internals to get an actual East German pistol grip and forward handguard. I think it looks pretty good though. I'm pleased.

post-40054-0-88530800-1351453693_thumb.jpg

post-40054-0-65376100-1351453714_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This started as a usual $299 Saiga Sporter and ended up as a Russian AKM.

Just finished putting her all back together again today. What a long trip it's been getting this project done. I did make it a little harder on myself by wanting to turn it into an AKM clone instead of the usual swaps. That meant getting a 45 degree gas block and drilling a new gas port for it. That also means I plugged the old gas port too. I got the Russian AKM wood from Ironwood Designs and saved a little by getting the grip and handguards as 'seconds'. They are walnut and needed a little extra sanding, but the stock is laminated birch and I had to get it new (no seconds in stock). I think it gives it that 'Afghan Outback' look. smile.png

The barrel was factory threaded, but I gouged the threads with the angle grinder and had to get a 14x1 LH die to chase the threads. The front sight is replaced too, which means I had to drill the barrel and pin it. I also hand filed the groove in the barrel for the lower handguard retainer. While tapping the old gas port, I snapped off the tap in the hole, but found the answer was smashing the tap with a center punch and hammer. I went a lot slower and used a lot of oil the second time around. I also filled the dimples on the barrel from the original gas block and front sight with JB Weld and sanded everything smooth. Once I had everything fit up and function checked, I took it apart and hit the receiver and barrel with some Rustoleum Hi-temp BBQ paint.

Hopefully I can get to the range this week and nothing blows up. Pretty sure everything will work as expected, I'll report back soon as I can.

Thanks for all the help here!

Tex

post-39479-0-37165900-1351664963_thumb.jpg

Hey guys..New poster here.

I recently did my 2nd conversion last night. My first was a 5.45, now I'm hooked. big_smile.gif Ordered a 7.62 an another 5.45 and picked them up at the FFL earlier this week.

The first conversion I did went A LOT smoother. For some reason, The rivet heads on this 7.62x39 were a PITA to drill out and get them to break off. Was using a brand new 3/16 drill bit jus like my first conversion which I was able to pop the rivets in like 15-30 seconds. The top wood piece of the handguard had to be fitted a little to get it around the new gas tube. I used the CSS lower HG retainer and had to shim the bottom handguard so It wouldn't wobble. Also, the pistol grip nut wouldn't even drop in the hole so I had to file it down quite a bit. I used a surplus PG nut The tapco PG nut wouldnt even fit in the receiver standing up. Was way too big.

Other than that, everything went smooth. Just took a bit longer than my first conversion.

Used:

Tapco G2 trigger

CSS rounded bolt on trigger guard

Red Star arms FCG retaining plate

CSS lower handguard retainer

Timbersmith red stock set

CSS bullet guide

Going to start converting the other 5.45 I picked up today.

Anyway, here is a crappy cellphone pic:

762saiga.jpg

Edited by AJCaruso
  • Like 1

Hey guys..New poster here.

I recently did my 2nd conversion last night. My first was a 5.45, now I'm hooked. big_smile.gif Ordered a 7.62 an another 5.45 and picked them up at the FFL earlier this week.

The first conversion I did went A LOT smoother. For some reason, The rivet heads on this 7.62x39 were a PITA to drill out and get them to break off. Was using a brand new 3/16 drill bit jus like my first conversion which I was able to pop the rivets in like 15-30 seconds. The top wood piece of the handguard had to be fitted a little to get it around the new gas tube. I used the CSS lower HG retainer and had to shim the bottom handguard so It wouldn't wobble. Also, the pistol grip nut wouldn't even drop in the hole so I had to file it down quite a bit. I used a surplus PG nut The tapco PG nut wouldnt even fit in the receiver standing up. Was way too big.

Other than that, everything went smooth. Just took a bit longer than my first conversion.

Used:

Tapco G2 trigger

CSS rounded bolt on trigger guard

Red Star arms FCG retaining plate

CSS lower handguard retainer

Timbersmith red stock set

CSS bullet guide

Going to start converting the other 5.45 I picked up today.

Anyway, here is a crappy cellphone pic:

762saiga.jpg

As far as the Tapco pistol grip nut... they are NOT spec. They are too long (compared to original). Even if they fit width wise... they are usually too long for properly snug a grip up to the receiver. This is a common problem with them, and Tapco does nothing to resolve it. They just keep cranking out their out of spec part. If you buy one from CSS.. it is a Tapco version (even though they do not list it as such). I have done so, and it is too long. If you're going to run an Echo93 plate, yeah, it's fine. But otherwise, it doesn't work well. There are numerous posts on this, and how people have had to file down the length of their Tapco grip nuts... but Tapco has still yet to admit anything. If you want an "in spec" grip nut, I'd try Apex, or somewhere similar, but most of the "common" retailers (CSS, Mississippi, etc) will give you the tapco nut (whether advertised as such or not). A good way to get one that's made in spec is to NOT buy one "us made" (that would probably be the Tapco version).

The rifle looks GREAT! Loving the red wood too!

Edited by Brian M1

Stock: MagPul CTR with MagPul Riser.

Forearm: Texas Weapons Systems railed forearm... G'luck finding one, and if you do, you'll pay out the arse for it... Used are selling for $200+

Whats really nice on that rifle, is that he has both the TWS Dog Leg Rail dust cover and TWS hand guard, giving his AK an awesome flat top.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Stock: MagPul CTR with MagPul Riser.

Forearm: Texas Weapons Systems railed forearm... G'luck finding one, and if you do, you'll pay out the arse for it... Used are selling for $200+

Whats really nice on that rifle, is that he has both the TWS Dog Leg Rail dust cover and TWS hand guard, giving his AK an awesome flat top.

My my, I hope your wife does'nt find out about the soft spot in your heart for that rifle. She may consider that cheatin'. Every time someone asks about somethin' on it you pipe right up. You like that girl I bet. JK man. That is a sweet gun. Chaos HK sight might me the ticket on that thing with the red dot. Edited by rnemhrd
  • Like 1