Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

Like Legos & ARs, just can't leave'em alone.

Left the forearm alone for awhile.

Then got bored one day and ventilated it.

Today I put a Hogue hand guard package on it.

The Hogue PGs are so comfortable, so is their forearm, and it gives it more of the classic AK front end.

I foresee removing the FS and going with a Bulgy FSB & comp.

Which stock adapter is that?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

Like Legos & ARs, just can't leave'em alone.

Left the forearm alone for awhile.

Then got bored one day and ventilated it.

Today I put a Hogue hand guard package on it.

The Hogue PGs are so comfortable, so is their forearm, and it gives it more of the classic AK front end.

I foresee removing the FS and going with a Bulgy FSB & comp.

Looks nice Chile. What did you use for a retainer on the lower hand guard?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, new to the forum, been stalking others posts and mods, I enjoy the the time spent tinkering with my weapon. Accustomed to the M4, but not a fan of the bullet button! Simply put, Saiga is the route I went. After a few hundred rounds at the range in the past lets see, 1.5 months.. I enjoy the solid recoil from this rifle.. Only question I have now is which trigger group is best, without the complications of hanging up. I read that ;

***Note: INTRAFUSE G2 Trigger Groups are not compatible with the Saiga platform. INTRAFUSE G2 Trigger Groups are also not compatible with NoDak Spud NDS-3 and NDS-65 "economy" receivers. In some cases, the use of these two products together can create accidental double firing of the firearm.

So in this case, what is a solid preforming trigger group replacement for this weapon? I don't plan on changing the setup anymore, as far as compliance issues go, I think the trigger group will be the last conversion I do. *Fingers not crossed* Thanks for the responses in advance. 

VGNOPE

post-49122-0-44220100-1396335620_thumb.jpg

post-49122-0-46304300-1396336286_thumb.jpg

Hey all, new to the forum, been stalking others posts and mods, I enjoy the the time spent tinkering with my weapon. Accustomed to the M4, but not a fan of the bullet button! Simply put, Saiga is the route I went. After a few hundred rounds at the range in the past lets see, 1.5 months.. I enjoy the solid recoil from this rifle.. Only question I have now is which trigger group is best, without the complications of hanging up. I read that ;

***Note: INTRAFUSE G2 Trigger Groups are not compatible with the Saiga platform. INTRAFUSE G2 Trigger Groups are also not compatible with NoDak Spud NDS-3 and NDS-65 "economy" receivers. In some cases, the use of these two products together can create accidental double firing of the firearm.

So in this case, what is a solid preforming trigger group replacement for this weapon? I don't plan on changing the setup anymore, as far as compliance issues go, I think the trigger group will be the last conversion I do. *Fingers not crossed* Thanks for the responses in advance. 

VGNOPE

The G2 is a fantastic trigger. It won't work on factory Saigas, you have to "convert" it first. I'm sure you know what that means, but if not, drill out trigger pins, and install the new trigger group in the forward position of a normal AK. You need the trigger group, a trigger guard ($15-20), a grip nut ($1), and a new grip and stock. If you really want it to feel a bit more akin to an M4, look into the Vltor and Rifle Dynamics stock adapters. High quality, hard-use products. Throw a Magpul stock on it and a small cheek riser, and you'd be in business.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have an UltimAK, Russian lower handguard retainer, and Russian polymer lower handguard on the way (the Russian lower handguard does not alter 922r compliance)

Basically my take on an RD-700 from Rifle Dynamics, minus the shortened barrel.

13916992525_b916619eea_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got traded for this one. No plans to change anything yet. This one is shootable as is since it was imported with the Saiganov stock, and better than the standard sporter set up.

I like it!  I am leaving mine relatively stock.  I have that Siaganov stock like yours for when I am in "Free America" and the factory stock forhome in Kalifornication.  I actually like the "Saiganov" stock as much as the pistweapon with a pistol grip and standard AK stock.  Standard AKs are a bit short for me, even with the loger "US" stock. I am not, however. a fan of the Tapco T-6 stock.  It is a decent option for someone who does not want to "restore" a Saiga.  I just personally don't like the feel of it compared to the Saiganov stock.

I have a Tapco handguard, Tapco Hammer and disconnector, Tapco piston, and Tapco mag followers for 922R compliance.  At least I have a dozen "legally possessed by me in California, prior to 1-1-2000" 30 round magazines that I can use, as long as I do not have a pistol grip, collapsible stock, or flash hider (California Featureless). 

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.

AK-103LeftSide_zps1e0ddd39.jpg

AK-103RightSide_zps97852575.jpg

While it's nothing special on the outside, it's a close (US legal) clone of the Izhmash AK-103. The only major difference is that I elected to leave out the folding stock. This is a feature I do not personally find myself using much, if at all, so I decided early on to save the additional expense of adding it. Among the more minor deviations is the Molot-Style pistol grip from MD Arms, which is much more ergonomic and actually much closer in style to the tactical grip option available for the AK-100's from Izhmash  I would have loved to picked one of these Izhmash gems up (along with a railed lower handguard), but these items are unicorns on this side of the pond and fall among those things we rarely even hear about, or on the chance we're really lucky, get to see a picture of.

Outside of that, this rifle included as much Izhmash AK-100 series pedigree as I was able to collect since picking up the original IZ-132 back in 2009. The conversion was originally going to be done by myself and a friend who had the necessary tools (and is very talented at refinishing firearms), but life happened and I ended up turning the project over to a true professional in the field...Chris Butler of AK-USA, located just south of me in Fort Myers, FL. If you've never had the pleasure of seeing Chris' work up close, it's one of those times where you realize almost instantly you're dealing with a true artisan. The shop is small, out of the way, and unassuming from the exterior; but despite his humble surroundings and demeanor, nothing leaves that shop that isn't both 100% fully functional when you use it and a work of art when you lay eyes on it. Chris doesn't do much in the way of conversions these days, but I was able to get his interest enough in this one to take the job on...though I think that had a lot to do with the box of Izhmash OEM parts I walked in with and that his main focus is the AK-100 platform.

With all the foreplay overwith, here's a breakdown on what went into the AK-103, along with a few additional pics to show a bit more detail. The parts are broken down between original Izhmash AK-100 series parts, US parts for 922r compliance, and other parts of various origin that were either non-consequential to the build (in my eyes) or their Russian counterparts were reproduced due to the lack of availability.

Izhmash OEM, AK-100 series parts

• Front sight and gas block
  • Gas tube
  • Bullet guide, riveted to front trunion
  • Upper & lower handguard w/ heat shield
  • Lower handguard retainer
  • Rear sight leaf
  • Sling (though in OD green, rather than tan)
  • 30-round polymer "slabside" magazine (Izhmash OEM, but it's actually the "civilian" version, not the true AK-100 magazine)

US Parts (for 922r compliance)

• Tapco FCG (polished, tuned, and modified to eliminate creep & overtravel and break at 4.5 lbs)
  • K-Var NATO length stock (non-folding)
  • MD Arms Molot Style grip
  • AK-USA AK74-Style compensator (heat treated and chrome lined)

Other parts (US & non-US, due to availability)

• Bulgarian Circle 10 bayonet
  • AK-100 series trigger guard (machined to spec by AK-USA)
  • AK-100 series cleaning rod (crafted by AK-USA)
  • Refinishing by AK-USA, including coloring factory marking (first-rate work, and durable as hell)

Izhmash AK-100 1000 Meter Rear Sight. Very similar to other AK sights, except for the half-width tick marks, Cyrillic "P", and phosphate finish

AK-103SightLeaf_zps949ec352.jpg

A couple of close up shots of the trigger guard. I loved Chris' attention to detail in machining in the cloverleaf design on the left side of the trigger guard, true to the AK-100 lineage. The quality of the finish also stands out in these pics.

AK-103TriggerGuardCloseUp_zpsc413568c.jp

AK-103TriggerGuard_zps4ac454f1.jpg

Detail of the left side of the receiver showing the cloverleaf trigger guard design and colored factory markings.

AK-103LeftSideDetail_zps91fe9824.jpg

I hope you found this enjoyable and worth your time to browse through. For me, I think the pursuit of all the parts was the most enjoyable part...one which, unfortunately, I do not think is repeatable given the current situation of international affairs between the US and the Izhmash homeland.

Regards,

FLTF3

Edited by FLTF3
  • Like 6

Based on the options I selected, labor ran in the neighborhood of about $750. That included extra stuff, such as tuning the trigger, cost & labor to rivet an Izhmash AK-100 bullet guide to the front trunion (Chris found that part for me), and machining parts that could not be found. The rifle refinish job also adds a bit since Chris also uses his own custom formula for refinishing. The results are spot on accurate to the factory finish, and it's even a bit more durable than the original.

Outside of the labor for conversion, keep in mind that I spent three years scavenging for Izhmash AK-100 parts. They aren't common and they usually aren't inexpensive when you finally manage to locate them. Given the current situation, I fear many of them will either be completely non-existent or prohibitively expensive. The good news is that there are alternatives for most of the AK-100 parts, such as Bulgarian gas blocks and front sight blocks, that are virtually indistinguishable from their Russian counterparts.

If you're interested, send him an e-mail or give him a call and let him know what you are interested in doing. Just be patient, it can take some time before you hear back from him.

http://www.ak-103.com

Edited by FLTF3

November 2013 born on date.. just finished it today with threading and such.

Used E German Folder from WAC, MagPul AK grip, Damage Industries Comp/Brake, G2, CSS trigger guard, vented gastube (all he had), and CSS lower retainer, rocking Polish wood (NOS), Russian 1000m rear sight with Cyrillic N..  :cool:   (just waiting on the AMD65TECH cheek riser piece)..

IZ132p1.jpg

iz132p2.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably the last conversion I will do, unless they start getting imported again. Here is my "Sanctions" 7.62 picked up in Sporter config in July:attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very nice rifle!

If I can ask how did you get that antiqued/bakelite look on the Tapco magazine?

Thanks,

Eric

Here you go Eric,

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/94942-custom-magazine-finishes/

I haven't had time to do another and post step by step instructions yet, but the process is on there along with another link for a different process. I will try to get it updated this weekend.