Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="saiganov_raz" data-cid="852545" data-time="1358998867"><p>

You'll be convinced ... just give it time. I'd never trade my AK for an AR. I like ARs. I fucking love the ACR. <br />

But... as a sort of torture test I shot my ak every weekend for 3 months without cleaning it at all or even oiling it. Shot straight and perfect every single time. Not one failure.<br />

Try that with any AR on the market (really ANY) and you've just probably permanently damaged a $1000+ gun. Or at very least you'd make it out a second or 3rd weekend and see that it wouldn't fire at all. And if you do find one that can perform in that torture test... be ready to pay at minimum $2000 for anything that has even the slightest chance to pass that test.<br />

And... that gun will still be shooting 223 or 5.56. The AK isn't quite as accurate but its not a sniper rifle and it's rounds do significantly more damage than modern military 5.56.<br />

Its value is unbelievable. I got the gun you saw for $400 and put about $150 into it to make it what it is now. If I count $100 for the primary arms red dot I'm getting, the gun will be easily competing with current military grade weapons that cost minimum $1500 for the measily prise of $650.</p></blockquote>

I have to disagree I put 1200 rounds through my delton midlength ar15 with vltor stock an hbuffer

Over two months didn't have one problem. That's with brass cased ammo and pmags. I'm not saying that ARs are better than AKs or vise versa but the ar15 gets more bad press than it should. So I know I should post this but I've been reading through 68 pages trying to get an idea for when I can find a x39 I read the above and had to throw in my expreince.

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ak Monty" data-cid="886006" data-time="1365253526"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="saiganov_raz" data-cid="852545" data-time="1358998867"><p><br />

You'll be convinced ... just give it time. I'd never trade my AK for an AR. I like ARs. I fucking love the ACR. <br /><br />

But... as a sort of torture test I shot my ak every weekend for 3 months without cleaning it at all or even oiling it. Shot straight and perfect every single time. Not one failure.<br /><br />

Try that with any AR on the market (really ANY) and you've just probably permanently damaged a $1000+ gun. Or at very least you'd make it out a second or 3rd weekend and see that it wouldn't fire at all. And if you do find one that can perform in that torture test... be ready to pay at minimum $2000 for anything that has even the slightest chance to pass that test.<br /><br />

And... that gun will still be shooting 223 or 5.56. The AK isn't quite as accurate but its not a sniper rifle and it's rounds do significantly more damage than modern military 5.56.<br /><br />

Its value is unbelievable. I got the gun you saw for $400 and put about $150 into it to make it what it is now. If I count $100 for the primary arms red dot I'm getting, the gun will be easily competing with current military grade weapons that cost minimum $1500 for the measily prise of $650.</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

I have to disagree I put 1200 rounds through my delton midlength ar15 with vltor stock an hbuffer<br />

Over two months didn't have one problem. That's with brass cased ammo and pmags. I'm not saying that ARs are better than AKs or vise versa but the ar15 gets more bad press than it should. So I know I should post this but I've been reading through 68 pages trying to get an idea for when I can find a x39 I read the above and had to throw in my expreince.</p></blockquote>

Okay, the torture I put my ak through was more like 2500 rounds and was 3 months. Didn't oil it or clean it before I started either. Del ton makes great guns. They get a lot of shit but they make quality stuff. (I wish they'd get into the 308 game!)

But still the point of my argument was not to discredit the ARs but to place an example of AK reliability. Which is and always will be much more reliable and durable than an AR. I don't believe this can be denied.

ARs are built to be light and deadly accurate. AKs were built to throw big ass bullets and never stop working.

I only shared the torture test I had done first hand there are much better test and the result are available on YouTube.

For instance an ak can be fully loaded with dirt poured into the loaded mag tossed in a muddy river dragged through the mud then after all that it'll fire a perfect mag dump.

There's not an AR on the planet that'd do that. I just wouldn't do that to my gun so I didn't feel right quoting it.

My point is... AKs and ARs have different qualities. In a shtf scenario the AK is built more to accommodate hard times rough terrain and no cleaning supplies while one the run. And basically for civilian domestic use against any force I can't think of a scenario that would require shooting over 200-300yards. At the higher distances (where the difference between ak and ar shows) you'd likely just hide successfully than try to one man army against... a real army. So the AK wins. Target shooting at the range goes to the AR. For use inside a military squad with other backing you I'd go AR. But if its just you and maybe another guy or two AK every time.

This conversation doesn't belong on this thread though so I hope all curiosities and questions have been answered and it stops here.

Not to be insulting or say "I win" but this is a picture posting topic not an AK-VS-AR posting. If you really think my points aren't valid do some research and the truth will reveal itself. And just FYI posting anti-ak pro-ar stuff on a AK based forum is always gonna start flame wars. So just try to resist please. It is common knowledge that the AK is likely the most reliable weapon ever created and the history channel and their thousands of dollars of research totally backs that claim up.

So please. Let this be done and over with at least within this topic. If you want to further talk about it start an AR vs AK topic and ill throw down on that.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My first Saiga 7.62 conversion... It went WAY easier than I had anticipated. After shooting it for the first time(pre-conversion) I quickly realized that compared to my old WASR, this is a FAR superior weapon!!!

post-47389-0-61973600-1367276629_thumb.png

The whole family...

post-47389-0-99928000-1367276722_thumb.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on mine, got some AK handguards, gas tube, and retainer, from the last Knob Creek MG shoot. Also threaded the barrel, and have been making some muzzle brakes.

13za77k.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Im becoming a huge fan of the wood. The red wood looks fantastic when its all finished. I might save up my pennies and get the full set. Of course that would then mean I have to grove my barrel for the hand guard retainer which im not a huge fan of.

Im becoming a huge fan of the wood. The red wood looks fantastic when its all finished. I might save up my pennies and get the full set. Of course that would then mean I have to grove my barrel for the hand guard retainer which im not a huge fan of.

I used the clamp on retainer from Carolina Shooters Supply, no need to notch your barrel, and it's solid as a rock.

• 2 weeks later...