Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

new member here, got my first saiga a couple weeks ago. I have the tapco unconverted pistol grip stock now but full conversion is coming soon. also rockin' a cheap BSA red dot on a quick detach mount and promag 20 and 30 rounders (knock 'em if you want but mine always work, except the last round always jams so they're more like 19 and 29 rounders.)

plans are tapco trigger, krinkov style stock, and probably a quad rail.

0426091407.jpg

0429091509.jpg

Edited by mr.smith
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

I had the rifle for around two weeks in the stock config before I converted it.

Curent Highlights

Tapco G2 trigger group

FCG retainer plate

US pistol grip

Tapco stock

Dinzag Arms Bullet Guide.

Mojo microclick rear sight

Plus a little time with a dremel on the mag catch and I've got this so far.

saiga1.jpg

saiga3.jpg

I've got a set of K-Var black handguards and an Arsenal Gas tube on the way, just need a lower handguard retainer.

Edited by JBski

Here is mine. I just finished it about 20 minutes ago. Nothing special but feels much nicer than before.

Hopefully get to shoot it this weekend. No problems at all converting it. I did have to cut a PG hole but that was easy also. I think the part that took the longest was getting the trigger guard off the bottom plate and then cleaning it up. If I convert another one I'll probably just buy a new trigger guard.

post-17839-1242345567_thumb.jpg

post-17839-1242345585_thumb.jpg

This is basically my plan of attack initially without the front forearm-grip..

I may use Dinzags G2 FCG for stock rifles and US Gas Piston first, then upgrade when I get more $$

A few more weeks and I will edit this with my actual x39. Getttin ansy.... :cryss:

post-8775-1242348318_thumb.jpg

Here is mine. I just finished it about 20 minutes ago. Nothing special but feels much nicer than before.

Hopefully get to shoot it this weekend. No problems at all converting it. I did have to cut a PG hole but that was easy also. I think the part that took the longest was getting the trigger guard off the bottom plate and then cleaning it up. If I convert another one I'll probably just buy a new trigger guard.

Looks great, man! :up:

I'm just waiting on my Saiga 12 to return from her "checkup" at CGW, then I can convert her. I don't want to use a trigger guard with built-in pistol grip nut, (want the grip to be more secure and I also need an internal pg nut to hold my Ace internal receiver block in place properly), so I'll have to cut a pistol grip hole.. and I gotta say that that's really the only part of the conversion that has me a bit nervous. :unsure:

Did you just drill out the 4 corners, then dremel the rest, or..?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Looks great, man! :up:

I'm just waiting on my Saiga 12 to return from her "checkup" at CGW, then I can convert her. I don't want to use a trigger guard with built-in pistol grip nut, (want the grip to be more secure and I also need an internal pg nut to hold my Ace internal receiver block in place properly), so I'll have to cut a pistol grip hole.. and I gotta say that that's really the only part of the conversion that has me a bit nervous. :unsure:

Did you just drill out the 4 corners, then dremel the rest, or..?

That is exactly what I did. I measured it about 10 times to make sure it was perfect. I got the measurements here but I'm not sure it will be exactly the same on a S12. http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_4.htm

I then drilled 4 small holes in the corners and then very carefully used a dremmel for the main cuts. I then cleaned it up with a small dremmel bit. It doesn't look as perfect as a factory cut but it is close and you can't see it anyway with the pistol grip on.

It sounds like you've really done your homework so you won't have any problems. Just take your time.

Thanks for the compliment on my gun. It is hard to get a decent picture of a black gun that shows detail. In the pictures I posted you can't even tell my gun has dimples. I'll probably take it outside tomorrow and try to get better pictures.

Edited by ChrisSA
This is my unfinished dimpled saiga, I was thinking about putting a UTG railed hand gaurd on it but just the bottom part, i like it better that way.

Hey, that diamond in the rough has dimples, dress her in AK cloths. Save the tacticool rails for a slabsided Siaga! Most folks on this forum would trade you their Saigas to get a crack at restoring that one.

This is my unfinished dimpled saiga, I was thinking about putting a UTG railed hand gaurd on it but just the bottom part, i like it better that way.

Hey, that diamond in the rough has dimples, dress her in AK cloths. Save the tacticool rails for a slabsided Siaga! Most folks on this forum would trade you their Saigas to get a crack at restoring that one.

i wanted to have all wood furniture but it would cost me alot to do all that ill eventually do it im just a broke college student spending all my work money on my saiga

...Thanks for the compliment on my gun. It is hard to get a decent picture of a black gun that shows detail. In the pictures I posted you can't even tell my gun has dimples. I'll probably take it outside tomorrow and try to get better pictures.

Oh, I noticed the dimples in the pics you posted, believe me. ;) Of course, that's one of the very first things I look for when viewing a Saiga/AK.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 2 weeks later...
After seeing Brad's I just had to put an order in for some duracoat! my next one will probably get that nice traditional wood look.

Nice color choice! I got my s12 done in Blackhawk Coyote Tan Duracoat. Here's mine on a pink baby blanket for fun!

016-2.jpg

Edited by obake

Here are a few better pics of my Saiga. The only other thing I'm probably going to do soon is convert it to use regular AK mags. I'm also not sure if I like the green sling.

Parts list -

Tapco AK retainer plate from Miss. Auto Arms

Flash Hider from DPH

Picatinny Rail mount from Wilson Combat

KVAR stock from KVAR (I originally put a Tapco stock on there but it was too short)

AK sling from KVAR

Tapco pistol grip from Miss. Auto Arms (I also ended up with a KVAR grip but liked the Tapco better)

Tromix FCG from Miss. Auto Arms

Filled the plugs with 3/16 Hillman plugs from Lowes

Surefire mags and forearm from Gilbert's Guns

Chris

Hmmm. I just noticed something. Do I have my sling on backwards? Is the metal clip supposed to be at the barrel end or stock end or does it matter?????

post-17839-1243473883_thumb.jpg

post-17839-1243473903_thumb.jpg

post-17839-1243473921_thumb.jpg

post-17839-1243473942_thumb.jpg

post-17839-1243473957_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisSA
Here are a few better pics of my Saiga. The only other thing I'm probably going to do soon is convert it to use regular AK mags. I'm also not sure if I like the green sling.

Parts list -

Flash Hider from DPH

KVAR stock from KVAR (I originally put a Tapco stock on there but it was too short)

AK sling from KVAR

Tapco pistol grip from Miss. Auto Arms (I also ended up with a KVAR grip but liked the Tapco better)

Chris

Hmmm. I just noticed something. Do I have my sling on backwards? Is the metal clip supposed to be at the barrel end or stock end or does it matter?????

Yup its on backwards. :haha: This will totally skew the performance of your rifle...... :haha:

Parts list -

Flash Hider from DPH

AK sling from KVAR

Chris

Yup its on backwards. :haha: This will totally skew the performance of your rifle...... :haha:

Yeah if I get any ftf or fte when I finally get to shoot it again it will be because of the sling :smoke:

i would mount your sling attachment point on the left side of the rifle and flip the sling around..

It's yours do what you want. Does not look bad. How does it feel with the PG on the front?????

Be aware there will be nay sayers that you did not do a full conversion. Just make sure it is 922r compliant.....

Keep it legal :killer:

Edited by Lakedweller
After seeing Brad's I just had to put an order in for some duracoat! my next one will probably get that nice traditional wood look.

Nice color choice! I got my s12 done in Blackhawk Coyote Tan Duracoat. Here's mine on a pink baby blanket for fun!

016-2.jpg

Looking Sweet! Something about that Tan color I like!post-11782-1243790339_thumb.jpg

:wub: Final stage of my Saiga Conversion to AK103 form (less folding stock). K-VAR furniture, a self modified East German lower handguard retainer, Tapco FCG, Blackthorne 24mm FSB, CombatHunting.com AK103 brake, and Bulgarian circle 10 AK74 bayonet. Refinished with semi-gloss Rustoleum. Mags are in a Chicom Type 81 four cell chest pouch. This Saiga is my Russian Mistress!

SaigaFin1.jpg

SaigaFin2.jpg

:wub: Final stage of my Saiga Conversion to AK103 form (less folding stock). K-VAR furniture, a self modified East German lower handguard retainer, Tapco FCG, Blackthorne 24mm FSB, CombatHunting.com AK103 brake, and Bulgarian circle 10 AK74 bayonet. Refinished with semi-gloss Rustoleum. Mags are in a Chicom Type 81 four cell chest pouch. This Saiga is my Russian Mistress!

SaigaFin1.jpg

SaigaFin2.jpg

Nice rifle. I hope to finish my AK-103 style configuration soon.

Where did you get that mag pouch from?

Thank you gentlemen! :rolleyes:

The pouch came from a guy on EBAY (he is on the AK and SKS collector's board, too). He is in Hong Kong, I believe. Type "T-81 pouch" in the ebay search engine. I paid $29 plus about $11 shipping. It's a good buy. Mine is almost like new, and it is nicer than the standard 3 cell you see all the time. It holds 4 mags and the two side pockets each hold 2x20 round boxes of ammo, for another 80 rounds. I am 6', 240 and it fits me. I am putting fastex snap on the waist straps, instead of tying it the way they do.

Post A, I have less money in mine than you do, though.

$350 Saiga,

$30 Tapco G2 FCG,

$110 into KVAR furniture (Warsaw Stock, Pistol Grip, Top and bottom Handguard),

$30 Dinzag bullet guide,

$25 24mm FSB, $19 AK 103 brake, and

$35 for Bulgarian Bayonet.

$18 East German handguard retainer

$20 Rommie gas tube

About $650 into everything except the pouch, including all of the shipping, but I shopped around for deals.

Edited by imarangemaster

SaigaFin1.jpg

SaigaFin2.jpg

Did you get a Russian cleaning rod? Thats the last thing you need. Nice work BTW.

I will probably get a rommy cleaning rod and kit eventually, but decided not to cut down the Russian 20 inch that came with it. I don't have to take the brake off if I use the 20 inch rod. Besides the bayonet and assorted mag bags and pouches, I have plenty of mags, several thousand rounds of Barnaul: and components, dies, mold, to reload 500 boxer primed brass case rounds. I should be good for now.

I have an upcoming vacation and some Civil War Cavalry re-enacting projects that need money now, so I won't do anything about the rod for the moment. The re-enacting season is starting in full swing.

This is my revised saiga with a wood black stock and the MM 30 rd mags on the way

i thought about cutting my handguard down that far but i didnt want to lose the front mount. does this have a new front mount or is it just floating with the rear mount only?

This is my revised saiga with a wood black stock and the MM 30 rd mags on the way

i thought about cutting my handguard down that far but i didnt want to lose the front mount. does this have a new front mount or is it just floating with the rear mount only?

no its floating but i had the same concern but it is very sturdy with it just connected by the back screw and the barrel will stay cooler this way. i would def do it again.