Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

I will probably get a rommy cleaning rod and kit eventually, but decided not to cut down the Russian 20 inch that came with it. I don't have to take the brake off if I use the 20 inch rod. Besides the bayonet and assorted mag bags and pouches, I have plenty of mags, several thousand rounds of Barnaul: and components, dies, mold, to reload 500 boxer primed brass case rounds. I should be good for now.

I have an upcoming vacation and some Civil War Cavalry re-enacting projects that need money now, so I won't do anything about the rod for the moment. The re-enacting season is starting in full swing.

Dude, I'm LOVIN the rifle. Just one question: why no optics? I really prefer a good red dot over iron sights for pretty much everything (except my CC handgun...can't do much about that though). I mean, as awesome as your rifle is don't you think it would be more awesome with a nice red dot or something? Or is that in the works? I'm totally just curious, don't mean anything by it.

I will probably get a rommy cleaning rod and kit eventually, but decided not to cut down the Russian 20 inch that came with it. I don't have to take the brake off if I use the 20 inch rod. Besides the bayonet and assorted mag bags and pouches, I have plenty of mags, several thousand rounds of Barnaul: and components, dies, mold, to reload 500 boxer primed brass case rounds. I should be good for now.

I have an upcoming vacation and some Civil War Cavalry re-enacting projects that need money now, so I won't do anything about the rod for the moment. The re-enacting season is starting in full swing.

Dude, I'm LOVIN the rifle. Just one question: why no optics? I really prefer a good red dot over iron sights for pretty much everything (except my CC handgun...can't do much about that though). I mean, as awesome as your rifle is don't you think it would be more awesome with a nice red dot or something? Or is that in the works? I'm totally just curious, don't mean anything by it.

I guess I am an iron sight kind of guy. Before I had to sell it last year because of a money crunch, I had a DPMS M4gery flat top with an Aimpoint M65. It was great, BUT...

14 years of Cowboy Action shooting, all with iron sights, 5 years military (3 active, two active reserve) all iron sights, 20 years law enforcement, all iron sights. I just do better with iron sights! I don't have to remember to pick up and turn on a switch. I just grab the weapon and it is ready. For 100 meters or less, I think iron sights are perfect.

I guess I am an iron sight kind of guy. Before I had to sell it last year because of a money crunch, I had a DPMS M4gery flat top with an Aimpoint M65. It was great, BUT...

14 years of Cowboy Action shooting, all with iron sights, 5 years military (3 active, two active reserve) all iron sights, 20 years law enforcement, all iron sights. I just do better with iron sights! I don't have to remember to pick up and turn on a switch. I just grab the weapon and it is ready. For 100 meters or less, I think iron sights are perfect.

Cool, I guess that makes good sense. And yeah, I'm lovin the DPMS. It's funny: all the people who have 0 experience with them bash them because they're affordable (unlike their Colts, which may or may not perform as well), yet I've not seen one bad review from someone who actually owns one. I've seen more than a few bad things said about Colts from people who actually own them...and then get a DPMS only to find that it will shoot just about anything without jamming (assuming a reasonable level maintenance). I've only put about 30 rounds through mine, and it feels amazing. It sucks, where I live in Va you have to drive 1 hour to an actual shooting range :ded: You'd think Va wouldn't have a shortage of ranges, you know?

And btw, the red dot I have is the new Vortex Strikefire. I'll be doing a review of that in the 7.62x39 section when I get some time.

Heres my saiga. Bought it off a friend of mine with 200 rounds for $275. Going tot the range this week and cant wait.

That'd be a pretty good deal even without the aftermarket furniture and ammo. :up:

Know how many rounds your friend put through her? Just curious.

post-18973-1244691368_thumb.jpg

Mine so far (sorry for the cell pic, ill borrow a camera when i get it done). Im still waiting on a muzzle threading kit from dinzag so i can add a flash suppressor. Im also going to vent the handguard and shorten the stock up a bit since its a little too long for my liking. I would like to add a Larue irondot or a kobra when money allows. Have a little over 200 rounds through her since the conversion and no hiccups.

post-18973-1244691914_thumb.jpg

Picture1398.jpg

Very SOCOM M1A like.

VERY-NIIICE!

Being from California, I can't do too much to my Saiga (that I just ordered, in 10 day wait now) except what you have here. I like it, can you tell me where you got all these parts , Scope and mount, etc.

the scope is a bushnell multi-reticle red/green dot, mount is the low rise BP-02, and the bi-pod is from walmart. handguard is self vented.

Great job with your mods and your handguard vents are tight! Which limbsaver pad is that?

post-18973-1244691368_thumb.jpg

Mine so far (sorry for the cell pic, ill borrow a camera when i get it done). Im still waiting on a muzzle threading kit from dinzag so i can add a flash suppressor. Im also going to vent the handguard and shorten the stock up a bit since its a little too long for my liking. I would like to add a Larue irondot or a kobra when money allows. Have a little over 200 rounds through her since the conversion and no hiccups.

Do you mind if I borrow your stock idea?

And by the way, what flag is that?

Angola or Mozambique, if I remember right.

Mozambique. The items represent security, agriculture and education. There is talk of wanting to remove the AK for PC reasons but it's to ingrained into the culture to gain much momentum.

Edited by Hoopster
Do you mind if I borrow your stock idea?

And by the way, what flag is that?

Yeah go ahead. I borrowed it more or less from the rpk. It puts my cheek in the perfect spot for the sights. And its a Mozambique flag.

Very Cool, looks identical to mine, except I used a Rommie gas tube. What did you do for the cleaning rod? (where did you get it, I mean.

My roomate has a Saiga as well. For some reason when I bought mine I got a long cleaning rod and when we bought his he got a short one. We traded cleaning rods.