Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

Back for a bit of an update :

r0b71h.jpg

Next plan is to nab a ribbed top cover (AKA dust cover) and a surplus AK bolt carrier. I'll set the Saiga carrier aside as a spare, then with the surplus one, I plan on blasting off the black finish, polishing it up and giving it a nice high-temp clear-coat. I'm also gonna replace the piston with a US-made one, just for practice.

Back for a bit of an update :

r0b71h.jpg

Next plan is to nab a ribbed top cover (AKA dust cover) and a surplus AK bolt carrier. I'll set the Saiga carrier aside as a spare, then with the surplus one, I plan on blasting off the black finish, polishing it up and giving it a nice high-temp clear-coat. I'm also gonna replace the piston with a US-made one, just for practice.

Make it left handed ...... Need to get another bolt and try that myself .......

103markings.jpg

Red, do you have plans to add the "Y" stamp? Seems like thats the last step before your rifle is done.

I only recall seeing one place that has actually "made" the dimples in an AK when doing a clone restoration but never seen anyone add the extra "Y" stamp.

Can you provide a pic or link of anyone whose done that for us?

Thanx

Harv

103markings.jpg

Red, do you have plans to add the "Y" stamp? Seems like thats the last step before your rifle is done.

I only recall seeing one place that has actually "made" the dimples in an AK when doing a clone restoration but never seen anyone add the extra "Y" stamp.

Can you provide a pic or link of anyone whose done that for us?

Thanx

Harv

Harv,

There is a guy on theakforum that sells the film stencil for the etch-o-matic etching device. Adding the "Y" and adding the selector markings are doable, but require some know how. Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic...asc&start=0

PM me if you want a step by step.

I wasn't sure if it was worth doing or not. I'd considered it briefly, but I wasn't sure of cost and wether I'd have to refin it again afterwards or not.

Etch-o-matic costs $80 on ebay right now. "Y" Stencil costs $5 from DYI. Stripper costs $7. New coat of Molly Resin costs $28.

Its defiantly worth it.

Sal,

Thanx

I remember reading the thread about the etching process and they were using some sort of homemade contraption as the power source. Im stupid about that end of stuff so I didnt followup.

Now I see that etch-o-matic link so I definitely will have to try this out. I had wanted to use that guys templates when I do a SBR item. Got too many idea now!!

It seems that the "Y" is a lot wider and deeper than the usual selector markings, etc that these stencils are being used for so Ill be curious to see how it looks if someone will try this

Cheers,

Harv

Well, here we go again. I read something on arf.com a few years ago about how all these guys by an AR than spend thousands of dollars on accessories and when it all comes down to it, they put it back the way it was. I thought, "Right, I bet." Well, this is not how it started, but more about how it was intended to be. With everything I put on my Saiga (the more Tacticool it became) the heavier and more unwieldy. So, back to the basics!

post-4394-1247194686_thumb.jpg

With special thanks to Dinzag for the trade in parts!

Muzzle Break - Bulgarian w/zigzag cuts from Arizona Response Systems

FSB - Bulgarian style from Dinzag

US-made Handguard - K-VAR from Dinzag

FCG - Tapco from On-Point before their "VIP" crap

SAW pistol grip - Tapco from On-Point before . . .

US-made, NATO-length Stock - K-VAR from Dinzag

US-made Magazine - Master Molder from I forgot where but they were only $11.00 each

So, as far as 922r goes, even without the US-made magazines I can have the imported muzzle device and am still good as the muzzle device becomes the 16th countable part and I still have 6 us parts (FCG - 3 parts, furniture - 3 parts). Just messing around the rifle points better and feels more natural. We'll see when I take it to the range. I did all the FSB work by myself with coaching from folks here - Thanks!

Ax-Man

Finished for now with mine.... tantal folder, g2 fcg, tapco grip & handguard, DPH flash hider.... but I was happy to walk away from my FFL yesterday with a new dimpled x39 from classic arms.... cell phone quality pic, kinda sucks...

post-15451-1247231410_thumb.jpg

Well, my gun has been a long and drawn-out converison, but it figures that I finally finish it and I sell it LOL, but here it is anyways...some of you may know where this was sold also ;)

saiga3.jpg

saiga_762_3.jpg

DSCN5604.jpg

Edited by Vultite

Well just got mine in (after 2 months) for my birthday next week (14th) its a December 08 model (with dimples).

(feel free to PM me to send me a Tapco G2 for my B-day... as I am on a 0 dollar budget).

[bronCobraJet sent me a retainer-plate already. thank-u Bron..]

I took off the Gas Tube cover and Dust Cover and painted them 1200' Almond/Tan. Dont care if they get marked up my 7yo son wanted me to use the paint on my rifle... Love'em...

I found another 10 round factory mag for $20 on GB which should be here soon for her "Christine" as I shoot in NJ alot (sucks I know).

Got a 30 round mag that I modified to fit and now will be ordering the Trunnion Bullet Guide kit for that to work (and other mags). Upcoming show in PA on August 8th should yield some metal mags..

Going to go Tapco Intrafuse (for Saiga) next week and post update pics. Also deciding between Bulgy/Draganov PG/Stock combo for $20 or the RPB 'Krink' triangular stock $40 and regular Hogue PG??? decisions..or buy both??...

Cell phone pic (taken inside)...

Before...

post-8775-1247318382.jpg

After..

post-8775-1247317485.jpg

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

Here's mine

converted w/ G2 FCG, Tapco Saw style PG, Tapco T6 stock, Leapers UTG quad rail (i love it) dinzag bullet guide Tapco 30 round mags and FAB Defense MAKO tactical front grip w/ flashlight.

post-18724-1247432635_thumb.jpg

Edited by dieb4iwake

7.62 x 39 (AJI Sporting 400$ unconverted)

US Tapco double hook FCG (Cheaperthandirt.com 40$)

Bullet guide (Dinzag 23$)

Pistog Grip Nut (Dinzag 10$)

Israeli Pistol Grip (ctd.com 20$)

Tapco Stock (ctd.com 35$)

(7) 30 round American Tactical mags new at 15$ a piece from ctd

Duracoat Tactical Desert Mint (Lauer Weaponry 53$ finished)

I did the conversion and mod to foregrip in my garage with a dremel and hand drill and duracoated with the disposable spray deal from duracoat for like 11$. It came out a little light but I plan on refinishing in a camoflauge pattern with templates and an airbrush. I am awaiting this optics mount from Kalinka Optics Warehouse for 150$ Low Side Mount which I intend to mount an Eotech with 3x magnifier on.

It'll never end, a 12's next.

0712091043a.jpg

I did the conversion and mod to foregrip in my garage with a dremel and hand drill and duracoated with the disposable spray deal from duracoat for like 11$. It came out a little light but I plan on refinishing in a camoflauge pattern with templates and an airbrush. I am awaiting this optics mount from Kalinka Optics Warehouse for 150$ Low Side Mount which I intend to mount an Eotech with 3x magnifier on.

0712091043a.jpg

Nice job, I can't wait till mine is done so I can post a pic in hear too.

That looks awfully familiar.

Edited by thehopping1

0712091043a.jpg

Always was wondering what "Desert Mint" color stands for. Now I know :(

Edited by BKLYN_C

I got that mount today, ordering the eotech friday when I get paid xD. Then I'm broke. Haha, splurge and enjoy.

Just thought I'd follow up with some more pics.

PICT0061.jpg

It's focused a little close but the concave chanel in the weaver rail is low enough to use iron sights. We'll have to see what we see with the eotech though.

PICT0066.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

I am extremely satisfied with this optics mount, I could have got one for a seventh the price but you really do get what you pay for and I was having trouble putting a 400$ optic on a 23$ mount.