Picture Post,lets see your 7.62x39

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I have his cousin  

Here's my Arsenal/Mime (no fighting please) 7.62x39 Russian Red Saiga convert "desk conversation piece" and weekend warrior...  

This project was actually finished around this time last year, but I thought it was time to finally put it up for the Izhmash/Saiga purist like myself out in the crowd.     While it's nothing s

Posted Images

I finally have my Saiga x39 "Sporter" to the point where I am satisfied - excepting the HG, which is a change down the road

Looks very nice!

I'm in a similar situation; I'll be keeping the stock HG when I do my conversion with the intention of changing it somewhere down the road. In the meantime you've certainly made it look very nice. Any tips for cutting the vent holes? I have a drill press, router table etc and could probably come up with a good way to do it but I also stand a good chance of screwing it up :unsure:

photoshooter - the HG vents were actually quite easy to lay out and cut, except for the hand work of finishing by file. I used a strip of vinyl tape on each side, to lay out the location of the initial drill holes. Stay away from the embedded steel at the ends. I drilled a hole at each end of a vent, then a center hole between, then some file work to rough out the holes. Finally, I routed the holes using just the original bit in a drill press. Last, I filed the hole edges to smooth and radius them, and used magic marker to get the full black on the cut areas. Pretty simple.

So, micah360, you mentioned that all that wooden furniture is "new". By that, do you mean it's all US-made, or is some of it foreign?

Regardless, that's one sweet lookin rifle ya got there. :wub:

I'm not old-school enough to want to spend the money and time on a stockset from Ironwood, nor do I want to play the 922r game with mags etc in order to be able to use some good n cheap foreign wood furniture. So... I just leave the US plum furniture, (except for the pg), on my SGL21. It might not look quite as nice, but it's durable as hell and still looks pretty damn good imo.

A recent change I made to my SGL21 that I recommend was to replace the Arsenal fcg with a Tapco G2. ymmv, but the long pull of the Arsenal trigger really annoyed me. I much prefer the G2. It allows for more rapid fire :killer:

So, micah360, you mentioned that all that wooden furniture is "new". By that, do you mean it's all US-made, or is some of it foreign?

I'm not old-school enough to want to spend the money and time on a stockset from Ironwood, nor do I want to play the 922r game with mags etc in order to be able to use some good n cheap foreign wood furniture. So... I just leave the US plum furniture, (except for the pg), on my SGL21. It might not look quite as nice, but it's durable as hell and still looks pretty damn good imo.

A recent change I made to my SGL21 that I recommend was to replace the Arsenal fcg with a Tapco G2. ymmv, but the long pull of the Arsenal trigger really annoyed me. I much prefer the G2. It allows for more rapid fire :killer:

It's a Russian AK74 laminate stock set (not cheap). When I say "new", I mean that it's never been fitted to a rifle (or hardly even handled for that matter). But, it's not "off the assembly line new". It's probably been sitting in a crate somewhere in Europe or Russia for God knows how many years before I got my grubby little American hands on it.

Edited by micah360

It's a Russian AK74 laminate stock set (not cheap). When I say "new", I mean that it's never been fitted to a rifle (or hardly even handled for that matter). But, it's not "off the assembly line new". It's probably been sitting in a crate somewhere in Europe or Russia for God knows how many years before I got my grubby little American hands on it.

Ah, I see. So it's pretty rare, (much more so than all that Bulgarian wood furniture available), and extremely nice furniture. If I put a set like that on my rifle she'd probably end up a safe queen, as I wouldn't be able to abide the thought of scratches/dings on that wood, which is inevitable over time.

photoshooter, or anyone else into venting the stock Saiga HG. A photo that is a bit cleaner to use as a reference for drilling, etc. Still trying to locate some appropriate insulating cloth or tape that may help prevent any chance of melting of the stock HG. Some day!

sziic9.jpg

photoshooter, or anyone else into venting the stock Saiga HG. A photo that is a bit cleaner to use as a reference for drilling, etc. Still trying to locate some appropriate insulating cloth or tape that may help prevent any chance of melting of the stock HG. Some day!

Thanks Sailor! Very cool of you to post the detail shot. Doesn't look too difficult. I'll give it a try and post pics if it works. If I screw up I'll just deny everything!

------------

Micah... that is one very nice AK!

Agreed... Micah, that's one heck of a nice looking rifle.

Here's mine; I'm considering replacing the stock and PG, and maybe fitting a quadrail. Sights are Yankee Hill flip-ups with homemade rail adapters.

065-1.jpg

060-1.jpg

061-1.jpg

I was also thinking about sticking a LER 1-4X red-dot on the Ultimak rail, but these don't seem to exist. I may have to go with a Strikefire or something...

new arsenal conversion with midwest industries rail, cheapy tapco fore-grip, and romanian wire folder. i love the look of the wire folders, but i am thinking an ACE folder would be much more suitable.....don't know if i can justify the outrageous expense though. also plan to eventually add a reasonably-priced, quality red dot.

out of the box, this gun was so beautiful, i almost didn't want to touch it. arsenal has really done a beautiful, quality job.

post-14510-12641359883653_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlrodd

Here's 2 of mine I did. The 1st one I had a local smith do the machining for the side folder, but I installed everything else. Was a 20", and I had him cut and crown it also.

P1000534.jpg

this one is just a basic conversion. It now sports a 74 style rear stock.

P1000546.jpg

I posted pic of my Saiga a couple of weeks ago, and was considering converting it. But I can't bring myself to do it. I like the look of the wood too much. I have searched around and can't find another like it. It was made in '99. I'm pretty sure it has never been fired. So I guess I'm stuck with having to buy another one, probably 16 in bbl. to convert. I'm not one to sell my firearms. To me, this is a SWEET looking firearm.

post-22258-12642958139129_thumb.jpg

Well here is my 7.62, it is actualy a romy G kit build. I had never seen a snow cammo AK so here is my idea on how it should look. If you take your time, you can make some really wild looking rifles with Duracoat and the best bart is, you can treat them poorly and the duracoat holds its own.

post-16005-12645306940492_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

My "tacti-cool" Arsenal SGL21-66, pimped out with the following components:

•  
  • Hogue AK Grip
  • Krebs Enhanced AK Selector Lever
  • CAA Vertical Folding Grip
  • Midwest Industries AK Quad Rail (came installed on this model of the gun)
  • Ergo Pressure Switch Mount
  • CAA Rail Covers
  • Belarus PK-AS collimator scope.
  • K-Var Bulgarian AK bayo.
  • Some cheap-ass non-LED flashlight (going to replace it soon)
  • Tromix bold-on charging handle

Going to put some kind of a folder on it in the future.

post-10789-12648112478391_thumb.jpg

post-10789-12648112545408_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpetsnazGRU