Operating rod slop.

How much wobble can the S-12 operating rod have and still be within normal range?

I had an S-12 that had very little originally. After having a few three inch slugs fired through it with the gas setting on #2, the rod loosened up, it has more wobble then it did before. It also started short cycling. :unsure:

So how much is too much slop?

Edited by cscharlie

Yes. On an AK rifle it would be. It screws into the front of the bolt carrier. I refered to it as an operating rod due to lack of a better term at the time. The S-12 has an actual gas piston that is not attached to the bolt carrier.

Gas piston rod maybe? Any idea how much play would be too much?

As long as it's not cracked around the front edges of the BC I wouldn't worry about it. A long time ago when I was inquiring about the same thing on my ak I put the question out to several AK forums and was told that was normal and part of the AK design, loose tolerances.

your short cycling is probably due to crud buildup in your gas manifold.

As long as it's not cracked around the front edges of the BC I wouldn't worry about it. A long time ago when I was inquiring about the same thing on my ak I put the question out to several AK forums and was told that was normal and part of the AK design, loose tolerances.

your short cycling is probably due to crud buildup in your gas manifold.

+1 when you're cleaning, DONT OIL YOUR PISTON! I've also found it helps to unscrew the regulator a turn or two (to the same position, of course), the saiga can get a little picky when its screwed in all the way.

AK style weapons don't have operating rods, you're probably referring to the gas piston?

I do not know if you have a S-12, but . . .they DO have an operating rod. Standard AKs have a gas piston and op rod all in one. S-12s have a gas piston, AND therefore, what seems to be the piston IS actually an op rod, al-a-M1.

My main concern was that the over all length of the bolt carrier assembly has change(shortened) perhaps due to mushing the threads after firing 3" slugs with it on the wrong gas setting and overworking the action, and maybe took it out of time or something like that.

I'm really begining to wonder if there was a burr or some other imperfection in that joint that finally got knocked loose and came out freeing that rod up to move like it is suppose to.

I don't remember how to tell if the rod is extended to the correct length on the S-12.

Edited by cscharlie
My main concern was that the over all length of the bolt carrier assembly has change(shortened) perhaps due to mushing the threads after firing 3" slugs with it on the wrong gas setting and overworking the action.

I'm realy begining to wonder if maybe there was a burr or some other imperfection in that joint that finally got knocked loose and came out freeing that rod up to move like it is suppose to.

I don't remember how to tell if the rod is extended to the correct length on the S-12.

It might not be obvious by just looking but I believe those rods are pinned to the bolt carrier so it's unlikely that they are going to be mashed short or move further into the carrier. Enlarge pic to see. labeled_post_resize.jpg