Has anyone ever taken an S12 to the final level?

OK I know I am going to get flamed for this but I don't care.

Has anyone, or better yet does anyone, take S12s and make them into a work of art?

Like polishing all exposed metal parts and barrels, doing some engraving work on the receiver, putting the finest bluing job on the gun and maybe Burled Walnut furniture?

I can't stop thinking about how good one of these would look.

And I want one.

Ummm "work of art?" I believe we have several works of art in our membership...check out the new photo thread.

Sorry, I understand what you mean. One of our members, Equinox, who has seemingly disappeared, was working on treating all the metal on his S-12 with some high performance coatings similar to what they put on those gold colored drill bits. it is supposed to be the same thing but more blue colored. Search for his posts about it. Wildcatter made some awesome looking home carved and finished Galil style HGs for his S-12 and .223. I think he used walnut. I would like to see some exotic furniture like ebony or tiger malple myself.

Here's a few pics I posted in the .308 section the other day of a pretty exotic Vepr. :eek:

post-1293-1164993040_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1164993068_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1164993092_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine was working on a chrome-plated Saiga 20 conversion with a replacment stock made from red, white, and blue laminate.

His goal was (if he happened to be hauled into court for a "non-sporting weapon" violation) was to have 12 West Texas jurors look at the prosecutor holding up a super-shiny chome plated shotgun with an American flag stock and declaring that this was a "deadly military weapon of death and distruction" :haha:

I just wanted a Hello Kitty sticker to go with the pink furniture on mine...heh heh...but my wife called "dibs" on the pink stock from CavArms...

Alex

Don't care for fancy, ornately decorated guns, myself. Rather, I prefer the military style.

If you look at my gun wall on one side there are a bunch of black rifles with lasers and night vision shit along with two of Tony's conversions and on the other side there are the engraved/presentation grade wood over/unders, etc.

I guess I'm bi-

But you know ...... it takes a real man to admit it!

I've only seen one copy of a gold plated AK. Very nice looking, but i'm not sure of corrosion resistance.An AK is what it is. If you want engraving, you need to get the fancy Italian jobs like a Benelli or copy. My S-12 is already engraved. It has SAIGA-12, some EAA bullcrap, a serial number I can't really read, CANTA, some russian symbols and giberish. I think the engraving is perfect. Not stamped too legibly, but very PRETTY. I've already scratched it all up a bit, but I think the retail value is actually going up. If I engrave and gold leaf a pheasant flushing in a pristine pasture will my S-12 be worth more? I think less.

I've only seen one copy of a gold plated AK. Very nice looking, but i'm not sure of corrosion resistance.An AK is what it is. If you want engraving, you need to get the fancy Italian jobs like a Benelli or copy. My S-12 is already engraved. It has SAIGA-12, some EAA bullcrap, a serial number I can't really read, CANTA, some russian symbols and giberish. I think the engraving is perfect. Not stamped too legibly, but very PRETTY. I've already scratched it all up a bit, but I think the retail value is actually going up. If I engrave and gold leaf a pheasant flushing in a pristine pasture will my S-12 be worth more? I think less.

Gold doesn't rust, so it would be a perfectly corrosion resistant finish.

ICK!

post-2407-1165032518.jpg

Guns is tools!

Don't be putting anything on them that ain't functional!

In the long run plating any wepon makes it worth less to a collector down the road say when they ban imports all togther. I have a 1914 Luger all matching numbers that someone in the past nickle plated. That gun would have been worth about 2,500 but due to the nickle plating its a shooter and fetchs about 250-400. So gold plating IMA degrades the gun looks nice but thats about it. Due something radical like have the entire gun carbon fibered be different you already have a Saiga-12 and there is nothing like it out there.

ICK!

post-2407-1165032518.jpg

Guns is tools!

Don't be putting anything on them that ain't functional!

In the long run plating any wepon makes it worth less to a collector down the road say when they ban imports all togther. I have a 1914 Luger all matching numbers that someone in the past nickle plated. That gun would have been worth about 2,500 but due to the nickle plating its a shooter and fetchs about 250-400. So gold plating IMA degrades the gun looks nice but thats about it. Due something radical like have the entire gun carbon fibered be different you already have a Saiga-12 and there is nothing like it out there.

I would not want a plated S12 unless you believe that polishing and blueing would constitute plating.

Most military weapons would not "dress-up" well. I think that the S12 is an exception with its broad receiver and unique lines.

I have a difficult time putting my Saigas in the trunk when I am going to a skeet or trap range. They draw a lot of attention both good and bad. A few people look at me as being a wacko because without question they are the meanest looking shotguns made.

My guess is taking one out that is dressed up would end up with all favorable reactions and would significantly increase the acceptability factor. Probably most of you don't care about this but "mean" looking guns are much more easily banned than one that looks like it is used for hunting. Yea I know that it is the same gun but that is not how most of the rest of the world looks at it.

I took a WWI Springfield 30-06 military rifle and sporterized it when I was a kid. Filed and polished all of the steel, had a guy modify the bolt handle and I spent about two years with a piece of walnut that I carved to fit the rifle. An old fellow at the time showed me the technique of how to put a hand polished varnish finish on it.

Instead of it being a "scary" military rifle it became something that the average person thought was beautiful. To this day I enjoy looking at it and hunting with it.

I wish I had the time to do it again.

How many posts are on this forum about the fear of these things being banned. It they are banned it will be because they look scary. But there really isn't much difference between an S12 and a Rem 1100. The 1100s won't be banned.

Edited by 1Bigdog
Ummm "work of art?" I believe we have several works of art in our membership...check out the new photo thread.

Sorry, I understand what you mean. One of our members, Equinox, who has seemingly disappeared, was working on treating all the metal on his S-12 with some high performance coatings similar to what they put on those gold colored drill bits. it is supposed to be the same thing but more blue colored. Search for his posts about it. Wildcatter made some awesome looking home carved and finished Galil style HGs for his S-12 and .223. I think he used walnut. I would like to see some exotic furniture like ebony or tiger malple myself.

Here's a few pics I posted in the .308 section the other day of a pretty exotic Vepr. :eek:

post-1293-1164993040_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1164993068_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1164993092_thumb.jpg

Please hold off on the flame-thrower equipment but... when I was a kid I once saw a Daisy BB gun that had a similar treatment (engraving, etc) done to it. Okay, okay! Gotta admit that at my age this has got to be 'qualified' as 'IIRC'. But it sure does look familiar...

My idea of a Saiga-12 taken to "the final level" would be a belt-feed conversion.

But that's just me...

Nope. It's not just you.

As I was waiting for the thread to pop up I had '10-inch barrel, SOT Full-Auto conversion', or maybe one of those multi-gun Gatling-type conversions going through my mind.

My idea of a Saiga-12 taken to "the final level" would be a belt-feed conversion.

But that's just me...

Nope. It's not just you.

As I was waiting for the thread to pop up I had '10-inch barrel, SOT Full-Auto conversion', or maybe one of those multi-gun Gatling-type conversions going through my mind.

Yeah, I was thinking select fire with it's own style bayonet and a 20 round "D-word"

I thought he was talking about the bar down the road from me.

I got a laugh at least.

That engraved one is a beauty. Personaly a feel that time, effort, and thought (not nessesarily money) spent working on just about anything can be considered art. It's just that some people's art looks a helluva lot better than mine.