Sister Thread to Picture Posts

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, the upper Vepr looks exactly the same, as sell in Russia. Muzzle brake only different. Despite all its advantages, I do not like Vepr. I prefer Saiga 12K030 -  it a little easier, and in my view

Amish Psycho, who used to post here , sent me that to test and troubleshoot for him about a year or so ago. After a lot of work and evaluation, and me redesigning it to work properly he decided not to

Sorry man but not really.

Posted Images

my guess is an 89 caprice classic or a year close to that. could be older though, maybe late 70s but they made them all the same for a while haha

Ooh Lance you're so close, it is a Caprice. But it can't be a '89 because if you look closely you'll see it's a 2 door.

Ahh, true. gotta be an '87 then. what do I win???? haha

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of very strong feelings against buffers in AK's, but i noticed quite a few people listing them as having them. Is it a matter of personal taste or are the naysayers just the loudest? Maybe the S-12 is somehow different?

Some beautiful saiga's here. Makes me that much more anxious for the rest of my parts to come in.

I've seen a lot of very strong feelings against buffers in AK's, but i noticed quite a few people listing them as having them. Is it a matter of personal taste or are the naysayers just the loudest? Maybe the S-12 is somehow different?

Some beautiful saiga's here. Makes me that much more anxious for the rest of my parts to come in.

If AK's needed buffers the inventor would have included one. Far as I know they were never used by any military.They can interfere with cycling. Have gotten the same opinion from some very well respected gunsmiths who are extremely familiar with the AK action.

If AK's needed buffers the inventor would have included one. Far as I know they were never used by any military.They can interfere with cycling. Have gotten the same opinion from some very well respected gunsmiths who are extremely familiar with the AK action.

Good info here.

• 1 month later...

I have one in my 7.62x39 with no ill-effects... but from what I understand (*light forum reading) the way the S-12 is designed it has smaller tolerance and the buffer is more-likely to mess with cycling... I know I am not explaining this nearly up to par but I believe Tromix has posted on this and explained way better then I am able to... perhaps try searching his posts.

Edited by ugkbunb
  • 1 month later...
Could anyone tell me what folding stock is in the 1st & 2nd pics of post #37? Looks really nice. Whats needed to put that stock on?

A lot of that on the 7.62 pages. I believe it's very hard to find one for sale. Takes a bit of work installing the trunnion and latch mechanism but in my opinion it's the coolest folder out there. I went with the ACE folder on my 12 which I'd say is the next coolest in line I'd say (until somebody designs a folder to work with the MD20 that is).

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=251&page=5

d_873.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To: SaigaNoobie

Re: Post #352

I really like your setup as pictured. I am thinking of using the Krebs sights and Polychoke myself. How do you like the Polychoke as opposed to the use of any of the other brakes/flash suppressors that are available. Can you provide more info on your ported barrel and brake? How is the optic holding up to the heat?

Thanks in advance for your time and information.

jonblack

• 1 month later...
my guess is an 89 caprice classic or a year close to that. could be older though, maybe late 70s but they made them all the same for a while haha

Ooh Lance you're so close, it is a Caprice. But it can't be a '89 because if you look closely you'll see it's a 2 door.

Can't be anything BUT an 87 Caprice! And one HOT looking model!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Where can I get a hand guard like the one in post # 391? My conversion is done as far as the parts count/vanilla version and not it's time to add a little spice. Also, any sources for a US manufactured AMD65 type guard with grip?

This place rocks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Where can I get a hand guard like the one in post # 391? My conversion is done as far as the parts count/vanilla version and not it's time to add a little spice. Also, any sources for a US manufactured AMD65 type guard with grip?

This place rocks!!!

I believe that's a custom handguard made by one of our forum members. I can't recall who atm.. try contacting Cobra76two. Personally I decided to go with a Chaos tri-rail, (more functional and looks better imo). I've had ~80% of my conversion restoration, (everything but replacing the stock handguard), done for awhile. Later in the month, when the tri-rail, (and the vertical foregrip/Krebs adapter I ordered), arrives, I'll install it all and then make my contribution to the S-12 photo thread.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

That HG is the factory Russian "Tactics" version....along with the wooden PG.

I think Rusmilitary may have them. Otherwise I can custom vent a regular S-12 HG like that for you.

Here's what the black poly version looks like in comparison....

post-1293-1250177604_thumb.jpg

I think you're looking at the wrong post, Cobra. Kosh asked about the handguard in post # 391, which is an American part if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, my bad. I thought he was talking about the one pictured just above. Didn't even look at the post #.

That HG he's talking about IS US made, by Jaymce here on our forum. It is carried by MAA. It's called a "FuglyStick".

This place rocks!!!

Indeed: a FuglyStick made by Jaymce to my specs.

100_5297.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Zenmetsu that's one sexy AKS-12 ya got in the making there! :super:

When you get your dinzag parts it will be totally awesome.

Thanks. I still need to post the detailed pics of the internals to show you what i did.

Waiting for the stain to dry on the other buttstock. The one on that pic is from my AK (as is the pistol grip). I need to put my AK back together and get a new PG. Sadly, that will need to wait since I am broke at the moment... Now if someone puts one up on the sale forum for cheap... :)

zenmetsu, that truly is some gorgeous woodwork. If I didn't have my heart set on a Chaos quad rail and an ACE SOCOM, I think I'd have to pick your brain for some tips.

I am going to post a step-by-step howto eventually.

I will likely need to order another stock set. I will probably place an order for 2 sets from ironwood designs, and use one as a blonde set, and stain another one red and do the how-to with it.

^ Nice. I look forward to the How-To for my next S-12, which I hope to be able to afford before King Barry arbitrarily condemns them as illegal "assault weapons".

For my primary S-12, I've gone with a Chaos tri-rail, (with Krebs side-mount adapter), Tango Down "short" battlegrip, Ace internal receiver block, with an Ace ultra-lite modular stock and Ace push-button folding mech. This setup doesn't look as "pretty" or "authentic", but I think it's more functional.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
I am going to post a step-by-step howto eventually.

I will likely need to order another stock set. I will probably place an order for 2 sets from ironwood designs, and use one as a blonde set, and stain another one red and do the how-to with it.

I'd personally love to do a set out of ebony. There's a few places out here at the coast where I could probably get some to start with and my old blacksmith buddy said I had a good eye for grinding.