Sister Thread to Picture Posts

I am going to post a step-by-step howto eventually.

I will likely need to order another stock set. I will probably place an order for 2 sets from ironwood designs, and use one as a blonde set, and stain another one red and do the how-to with it.

Good Job bro! :up:

We seem to have the exact same tastes in AKS-12s.

I won't be adding a scope though.

I even have the same Bakelite pistol-grip. Mine's Polish of course.

Are you going to get the AK type raised front sight?

What type of stain did you use?

I bought red mahogany.

Mine is taking a while because I am Fabricating/modifying all the needed hardware in my shop.

Anyhow, VERY nice.

Good job, well done. :up:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, the upper Vepr looks exactly the same, as sell in Russia. Muzzle brake only different. Despite all its advantages, I do not like Vepr. I prefer Saiga 12K030 -  it a little easier, and in my view

Amish Psycho, who used to post here , sent me that to test and troubleshoot for him about a year or so ago. After a lot of work and evaluation, and me redesigning it to work properly he decided not to

Sorry man but not really.

Posted Images

I will likely need to order another stock set. I will probably place an order for 2 sets from ironwood designs, and use one as a blonde set, and stain another one red and do the how-to with it.

I bought red mahogany.

Mine is taking a while because I am Fabricating/modifying all the needed hardware in my shop.

Anyhow, VERY nice.

I have a polish sling... :D

I am replacing the Bakelite PG though... it does not match the wood stain and that bugs me. :( Plus, I stole the PG off my AK and she's crying about it. :(

As soon as I get the $45 available to buy one from Ironwood, I will. I keep checking the sales portion of the board to no avail. :(

Regarding the stain, I used red mahogany at first, but it is not NEARLY red enough to match the soviet stocks that I had. I am still in the process of staining the new buttstock. The one you see in that picture is the soviet one.

Here is the new stock compared to the one in the picture. This is after one coat of Rit (scarlet color) which was diluted in a small amount of denatured alcohol. The red is very vivid and very flat... almost no gloss.

P1010001.JPG

After this, I went over it with Minwax (Red Mahogany). This is after the first coat of Red Mahogany.

P1010002.JPG

After this, I hit it with a second coat of Minwax Red Mahogany and then applied two coats of Polyurethane. I am currently waiting for the damned poly to dry... so here is a picture of it still wet... ignore the cord from the camera... :D

P1010001.JPG

It is a pretty close match when viewed in person.

I bought red mahogany.

Anyhow, VERY nice.

I have a polish sling... :D

I am replacing the Bakelite PG though... it does not match the wood stain and that bugs me. :( Plus, I stole the PG off my AK and she's crying about it. :(

As soon as I get the $45 available to buy one from Ironwood, I will. I keep checking the sales portion of the board to no avail. :(

Regarding the stain, I used red mahogany at first, but it is not NEARLY red enough to match the soviet stocks that I had. I am still in the process of staining the new buttstock. The one you see in that picture is the soviet one.

Here is the new stock compared to the one in the picture. This is after one coat of Rit (scarlet color) which was diluted in a small amount of denatured alcohol. The red is very vivid and very flat... almost no gloss.

P1010001.JPG

After this, I went over it with Minwax (Red Mahogany). This is after the first coat of Red Mahogany.

P1010002.JPG

After this, I hit it with a second coat of Minwax Red Mahogany and then applied two coats of Polyurethane. I am currently waiting for the damned poly to dry... so here is a picture of it still wet... ignore the cord from the camera... :D

P1010001.JPG

It is a pretty close match when viewed in person.

Hmmmmm.

Maybe I'll mix my red mahogany with a LITTLE ebony to achive the desired color.

I refinished my 30 .06 converted Enfield's stock in ebony stain & it came out dark brown, I think the mix may well make a spot on match to the first pic that you posted.

I am currently dickin' with my FCG, fightin' springs

For some reason, when the image is zoomed out, the intensity of the colors diminish... the double jpg compression is bad, both here on the forums and on picasa where i host my pics.

I have attempted to attach the photo so that it can be zoomed in. You will notice that the red gets a bit more intense once you zoom in. The handguard on my S12 was done with red mahogany first... two coats... and THEN a coat of the Rit Scarlet. The order did not seem to affect the color at all... they match quite well.

post-19886-1252271307_thumb.jpg

Edited by zenmetsu
Hey what kind of snake ya got down in there? I think I see a shed skin but can't find the reptile.

That would be my California Kingsnake (L.californiae). She was in blue the past week, and I noticed she had shed once i put my AK up there. :D

post-19886-1252282772_thumb.jpg

post-19886-1252282790_thumb.jpg

*going way off topic*

I have all sorts of crazy pets, all female except for the scorpions, i dunno how to sex them. I have an Egyptian Uromastyx (U.aegyptia), this kingsnake, a Chilean Rose tarantula (G.rosea), a Mexican Red-knee tarantula (B.smithi), two Arizona Bark Scorpions (C.sculptularis), and 3 stripe-tailed scorps (V.spinigeris). I had found a monstrous desert hairy scorp without the aid of a blacklight (it was too big to hide from a white-flashlight), but my friend took custody of it. Was a cool pet. :)

Tarantulas are still my favorites though. They kill crickets so much faster than scorpions. :)

Here is my Chilean Rose, her name is Lucy. :) It is almost impossible to piss off this spider, she only attacks crickets, not fingers.

P1010034.JPG

I have no cats or dogs yet. I prefer exotics which do not make noise. Well, my Uromastyx and my Chilean rose can both hiss pretty loud when they want to, but my snake has never really hissed. She is too much of a sweetheart.

And in case you are wondering what a Uromastyx is... here she is. :)

IMG00286.jpg

Edited by zenmetsu
WOW! That last one's cool as hell! Dude I can see we're gonna have to talk reptiles some...lol.

NICE!

I've got a Cali King too BTW.

Wanna see a funny picture? :lolol:

Sure... as long as it is not a picture of an Eastern Trouser Python...

Snakes/lizards/etc are cool, but I don't see how anyone keeps big ol hairy spiders as pets, (let alone let em crawl on you). Spiders that cross my path get dead.. more especially if they're big/poisonous. Damn things are sinister little beasts that deserve no better.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
Spiders that cross my path get dead.. more especially if they're big/poisonous. Damn things are sinister little beasts that deserve no better.

I used to think the same thing until I got one to get over my fear of them. They actually are remarkable animals. Because they shed their complete exoskeleton each time they molt, they can regenerate lost parts. They are also remarkably intelligent and one genus, Portia, is one of the only animals ever observed which will visually identify it's target, memorize a path to the prey, and then break visual contact in order to ambush the prey from a different angle. Just read the hunting techniques on the wiki page that I linked... crazy shit.

But everyone has their favorite animals, and their least favorite. Personally, I despise primates. Not sure why anyone would keep one as a pet.

^ :lol: The "pros" that you list for spiders are part of the reason that I hate them. They are sinister. They are cunning. They are not your friend. They are best squashed.

I wouldn't own a monkey or ape, either. They're like demented, nasty, stupid little people. I encounter enough of those on a day to day basis out in public. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gun Nut, thanks for posting the pictures of your paint job. I have thought of doing Snow Gray on my Saiga 12 for quite a while. Where you surprised how truly gray the color is? On duracolors web site it looks much darker almost a blackish gray. I guess that is why you buy the 2x2 paint samples to insure there are no surprises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

S.M.Alien, Your Saiga in your post #503 is really amazing. Would love to see some more photos and definitely more information.

I love the two-tone finish and unique furniture.

S.M.Alien, Your Saiga in your post #503 is really amazing. Would love to see some more photos and definitely more information.

I did it in the American style. :rolleyes:

What kind of information you would like to see?

New photos will be after installation Laser Sight Rifle Scope, Gas Regulator on 4 positions and LBHO own design.

Probably, I will post photos of manufacturing butt-stock and other self-made parts.

New photos will be after installation Laser Sight Rifle Scope, Gas Regulator on 4 positions and LBHO own design.

Probably, I will post photos of manufacturing butt-stock and other self-made parts.

Sounds good. Looking forward to more information on the stock and front handguard.

Sounds good. Looking forward to more information on the stock and front handguard.

1) Self-made stock (photos of the stock manufacturing - http://talks.guns.ru...-s14016844.html and http://talks.guns.ru...-s14166833.html - comments on russian)

2) From Vepr Molot 12

3) Self-made from aluminium plate

4) From Vepr Molot 12 (photo of installing - http://talks.guns.ru...-s13623844.html and http://talks.guns.ru...-s14766340.html - comments on russian)

5) From Vepr Molot 12

6) Standard hand-guard with modifications (holes, rail and "6a").

6a) First part of standart plastic stock (See first photo to understand where this part from)

7) Picantini rails made by drBormental (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showuser=14620) great thanks for him.

8) Replic of Margpul rifle sights

9) Second part of standart plastic stock

10) PolyChoke II

+) E-tac gas plug standart

All painted by DuraCoat

post-21046-12732322752927_thumb.jpg

post-21046-12732322804099_thumb.jpg

Edited by S.M. Alien
  • 3 months later...

^ :lol: The "pros" that you list for spiders are part of the reason that I hate them. They are sinister. They are cunning. They are not your friend. They are best squashed.

I wouldn't own a monkey or ape, either. They're like demented, nasty, stupid little people. I encounter enough of those on a day to day basis out in public. :D

I like cats because they are sinister and cunning. And, I don't have a problem with much of any animal. So long as it doesn't act aggressive towards me I won't towards it.

I guess I hate people the most. And I hate peta.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody tell me what kind of butt pad SR71 has on the back of his CTR stock, post #414. Newbie here, studying pics for ideas. Man I started out thinking I would be happy with one Saiga 12, now with all these options I don't think thats going to be possible. Hope i can find a better job to support habit 009.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me where I can get one of these stocks, or what they are called/who makes them. I saw several in the 22 page sin the pic thread, but no one called them anything other than "side folding stock"

gallery_1731_10_104435.jpg

I'd really like one for when I mod my S12!