Poor Customer Service

I bought my gun from Kalashnikov USA, as I have said before. It was a good price and it came with the barrel internally threaded to accept Colonial Choke Tubes. The gun came with a five round mag, an eight round mag, and an I/C choke. Sounds like a good deal.

They sell extra eight round mags for $19.95, so I ordered one. I also ordered a modified choke tube. On the website, on the same page as the gun, there was a "LEO Sniper Belt" with a price of "$0.00" so I figured it came with the gun. I ordered on the phone, and Missy, the call-taker, said she would indeed ship me the belt for free. To my dismay, they forgot my modified choke tube when they shipped the gun. Also, one of the 8-round mags did not fit! The "LEO Sniper Belt" was nowhere to be found either.

I called Kalashnikov USA back and spoke to the owner (forgot his name). He said that it was no problem, to just ship the bad clip back to him and he would make sure I got a good one, and my choke. He said he wasn't sure about the free sniper belt thing, but he would give me something else at least.

Well, they shipped me another magazine. That's it. And it too, doesn't fit. No choke. No belt. I've tried to call them back several times but all I get is an answering machine now. I have left a message but got no return call. It is starting to get expensive for me to keep shipping these mags back to them, not to mention the long distance calls. I am ready to drive across the state and deliver it personally, along with an ear-full of dissatisfaction. What do you guys think?

:evil:

It seems that magazine needs some abrasive stick and emery (sure if it's not quite in hopeless condition). Unfortunately almost any of the russian products need some aftersale handwork.

Is it original 8-shell izmash magazine or something else? I would not recommend other than izhmash original.

Did they change the configuration for the police model gun and the accessories? i bet they did. DO NOT MODIFY THE MAG heir cop. dont do it. just dont do it. :) dont let them do it either. find out what serial # weapon the "owner" locked it into successfully. i bet its a newer +P weapon.... NOONE can modify magazines i do believe. yeh they can, but its a mod mag here still...illegal to fit after what? 1992 or is it 94? stay legal guys....come on...please they will make the laws worse

Edited by Bvamp

The mag won't fit loaded or unloaded, bolt open or closed. It is an Izhmash original with markings. It looks just like my other 8-rounder and in fact, if I hold the two next to each other I can't tell the difference, but the other one fits nicely. I also have a 5-rounder that fits. I would try filing on it to make it fit but I don't know what surface to take down and I don't want to f*** it up. If I file it and get it to fit, it might seat in at a slightly wrong angle and then it would jam when I shoot. Kalashnikov USA just needs to replace it with one that works and give me my damn choke tube!

Bvamp, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Filing the magazine is not altering it; it's just part-fitting it. Anyway, my gun is stamped "Law Enforcement Only" and is a post ban "semi-automatic assault weapon" that I use on duty, so there is nothing I can do to it that would make it illegal unless I made it full auto and didn't register it. Neither the 89-90 "assault ban" or the 1994 Crime Bill affect this gun.

I made a page with pictures of the zones needs to pay attention in such cases

here it is

http://archer42.narod.ru/MagazineIssue.htm

Abrasion zones on used magazine showing the place that can be cause of the problem.

If you're not sure you can do the work safely you indeed better kick AK USA butt and pray for success of it. But all can I say is AK scheme was developed with much dimensional tolerances so I don't think you can really affect reliability this way. In any case you can cross-examine your magazine during shooting range session before put it on duty.

May be you would be interested of the fact that development of Saiga itself took about several month but development of this 8-shell mag (initialy developed for russian LE) took almost a year (information was posted somewhere on this forum by Sergey Podgirin).

• 2 weeks later...

instructions for filing the magazine for best fit came with 1st generation Saiga shotguns.It needs to be very,very gradually filed an fit.Try to force the magazine and see where it leaves marks.if it is on a plastic section use one of your wifes large emery boards to fit it.

for $19.95ea you are getting a deal,the police supply here charge $45ea for the big mags and you have to show a specific letterhead for that item to buy them.LE pistol magazines can be purchased on your general equipment letterhead that you get when you get your commision card but not the Saiga mags:(

Edited by SOPMOD
LE pistol magazines can be purchased on your general equipment letterhead that you get when you get your commision card but not the Saiga mags:(

I'm not familiar with some of the terms you're using. Are you an LEO? If so, where? Just curious as to what a "commision card" is. And we don't have different letterheads, we just send dealers letters for whatever we need on city stationary.

My Saiga .223 had the same problem as described above where the magazine would not lock into the chamber. I took mine to a local seller (had bought mine at a gun show) and he looked at it and had (I believe) that little piece that you push to release the magazine from the gun filed down a bit and now the magazine locks in just fine. It was not the magazine itself that was filed but the magazine release. Though it cost me $35, I thought it was faster and easier than packing and shipping my rifle to EAA.

Good luck.

I gave up on full-time Law Enforcement a few years ago and now only volunteer occasionaly during holidays and whenever there is an overload(tornadoes,floods,football games).

Commision Card:The police identification card issued in almost every state that has a minimum set of standards for employment as a peace officer.This is usually issued after you have completed the state academy and been through an extensive background check.

General Equipment Letterhead:The letter officers are given when they go to work for a police department that authorizes the officer to purchase uniforms,magazines,armor,etc at the public safety supply that your department has an account with.

Special Equipment Letterhead:A letter given to officers that are authorized to purchase equipment other than standard issue duty gear(Portable Defibralators,Night Vision,ballistic shields,Saiga Mags,etc)

Hmm. In Florida, you get a Law Enforcement Certification certificate after meeting the minimum standards and completing the academy. Must be the same as your commission card.

All of our equipment (except shoes, socks, and underwear) are issued at my department so there is no need for general equipment letterheads, I guess. If we want to go to a local police supply store and buy something on our own (like a ballcap, t-shirt, or other item that says "POLICE" on it), all we have to do is show our badge.

When we want to buy a LEO-only model firearm, we submit a request on city letterhead. When it comes to any other police-only equipment, including hi-cap magazines, showing a badge and ID is usually enough.

Well I decided to do a little grinding on my magazine that wouldn't fit. I ground it right under the front notch (the one you hook into the magwell first). When I tried it, it snapped in better than my other 8-round mag! I took it to the range today and all my magazines functioned flawlessly. I was pleased. I am the only LEO that goes to the Action Shotgun matches on Thursday nights and all the other guys were stompin' and cussin', wishing they could get their hands on a model like mine.