MAX LOADS

Hey lead slingers!!!

Just got my 1st s-12. SWEEEET!!

I'm gonna start reloading for it.

I've got a 3" load cooked up for it.

1 5/8 oz going 1300 fps at pressures around 11,000 psi.

Is this to much for the saiga??

I'd hate to brake my new toy.

Thanks

I doubt you'll be breaking your toy...your shoulder might be of concern though. Throw in a buffer so you don't beat the hell out of the receiver, and get a recoil pad for your own sake. The gas-system will act as a bottle-neck so that it'd be tough to over-load it, and the barrel is so over-engineered that it shouldn't be a problem. As long as the bolt carrier and the receiver don't beat each other up, which a buffer should help, I can't foresee you have any problem. But wait for a few more folks to second my opinion, I'd hate to steer you wrong.

Sure go ahead and tenderize that shoulder! :lolol: I've shot heavier loads than that thru mine with no problems, at least with the gun...ouch. I went thru a box of Federal 3" heavy turkey loads the first time I tried 3" in my S-12. I believe they were 4 dram 2oz copper coated steel shot. You will know it when you get behind some of that stuff but sure I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

+1 on the buffer, if you shoot a lot of that you will beat up your rear trunnion with the back of the bolt.

Also be sure you have your gas setting on number 1!

I mic'd the thickness of the Saiga bbls some time back, they are built a lot heavier than any other shotgun I had around at the time. But I'm no metallurgist, nor do I know much about metals :) I don't know the type of metal used, and how it compares.

Shotgun seems overbuilt, doubt that the pressure will cause any problems. IMO, YMMV, and all those other lawyerproofing symbols.

Hey lead slingers!!!

Just got my 1st s-12. SWEEEET!!

I'm gonna start reloading for it.

I've got a 3" load cooked up for it.

1 5/8 oz going 1300 fps at pressures around 11,000 psi.

Is this to much for the saiga??

I'd hate to brake my new toy.

Thanks

Winchester has a new Hi-Velocity buckshot load of 12 pellets of 00 (almost 2 ounces ounces) at 1400 fps. Your load is dinky in comparison! :haha:

I shot 3" winchester slugs during deer season. The only problem was that if I put in two 3 inch slugs last and the rest were 2.75" slugs; so when I loaded, one 3" slug would be chambered and one would be second in place with 2.75" shells following them. But when I was shooting at a deer, the first shot no problem, but the second 3" shell jammed. My first jam with my saiga-12. I stood there in a state of shock.

So, now I load just the first slug (the one that gets chambered) as a 3" magnum, the rest are 2 and 3/4... and problem solved. I have never tried gas setting #2, probably never will.