AOW saiga?

Not really surprised. You keep the customers happy and they keep coming back for more. Shame there's only one of you to do all the work though.

It just occurred to me that I could get an SBS saiga and take the stock off instead of going through the trouble of making one off a virgin receiver.

I can't see what an AOW would bring to the table that an SBS with an unobtrusive folding stock doesn't already. There doesn't seem to be that much more of a package.

The one detail of difference between the two is the ability to take the AOW across state lines (as long as both states don't deny ownership of an AOW) without the advance written notification to the BATFE which you have to do with full-auto, SBS's and SBR's.

I can't see what an AOW would bring to the table that an SBS with an unobtrusive folding stock doesn't already. There doesn't seem to be that much more of a package.

The one detail of difference between the two is the ability to take the AOW across state lines (as long as both states don't deny ownership of an AOW) without the advance written notification to the BATFE which you have to do with full-auto, SBS's and SBR's.

a $5.00 tax versus a $200 tax and some states do not allow SBS, but allow an AOW

Edited by Banshee

a $5.00 tax versus a $200 tax and some states do not allow SBS, but allow an AOW

For a Form 4 this is true, but for a Form 1, they are both $200.

Which is to say it only costs $5 to transfer an AOW but it costs $200 to make one. No difference up front but some difference if/when you want to sell it.

Yup - good point on the different states' laws. I had obviously overlooked that.

I think you guys are missing the most important aspect...

Once its an AOW, its configuration can't be changed. The vertical grip must stay on and you can't install a buttstock. So how is an AOW better than a SBS which has no limitations?

Well, if you live in AL, IL, NY, RI, NJ or WA which does NOT allow SBS, but Does allow AOW, there is an advantage.

There is other states that doesn't allow SBS but do AOWs. These are some I just pulled off.

Edited by Banshee

Once its an AOW, its configuration can't be changed. The vertical grip must stay on and you can't install a buttstock. So how is an AOW better than a SBS which has no limitations?

Well, if you live in AL, IL, NY, RI, NJ or WA which does NOT allow SBS, but Does allow AOW, there is an advantage.

There is other states that doesn't allow SBS but do AOWs. These are some I just pulled off.

Dont forget about Indiana. :haha: See an AOW S-12 would be the motts here. We can have everything except SBS. :cryss:

AOW is a very strange animal indeed. When you say "vertical grip" do you mean pistol grip? Or are you talking about a second forward handgrip? An AOW configuration can be changed, just as long as a shoulder stock is not involved.

Edited by 762minigun

You cannot add a buttstock to an AOW, this would make it a SBR or SBS. In the world for shotguns. If it came from the manufacturer without a BS. Just a pistol grip alone, such as the Remington 870 PG, and several different Mossberg PG only guns. It may be registered as a AOW or SBS. If the shotgun came factory with a BS. It may only be registered as a SBS. Once a BS has been attached there is no going back. Now a AOW shotgun can have a forward grip, if you want one, or it can go without.

Now if you take your third generation Glock -17 and add a forward grip to it. You will have created an illegal AOW. If you were to form 1 the Glock, pay the $200.00, and wait. Once you got your paperwork back you could then legally add the forward grip and create an AOW Glock. The same procedure would apply if you wanted to add a Buttstock to the same Glock, except you would register it as a SBR. A SBR cannot be an AOW and a AOW cannot be a SBS or SBR.

Like I said AOW's are strange animals. SP-89 in an operational breif case, NAA derringer pistols in a wallet holster, Cane guns, and belt buckle guns. These all have one thing in common they are all considered AOW's.

I for one would like to know if anyone has used a stripped AK "virgin" receiver, and cobbled together a AOW Saiga 12.

That would be awesome.

Edited by 762minigun
Now if you take your third generation Glock -17 and add a forward grip to it. You will have created an illegal AOW. If you were to form 1 the Glock, pay the $200.00, and wait. Once you got your paperwork back you could then legally add the forward grip and create an AOW Glock. The same procedure would apply if you wanted to add a Buttstock to the same Glock, except you would register it as a SBR. A SBR cannot be an AOW and a AOW cannot be a SBS or SBR.

$5?

$5?

the cost is $200 to build an AOW on a form 1, the $5.00 is to transfer it to a new owner.

Edited by Banshee

He's a typical FFL that doesnt know the first thing about firearms law.

An ordinary non-smoothbore pistol with a vertical foregrip becomes an AOW when you add the grip. The reason is because a pistol is meant to be held with one hand while the AOW is a 2 handed weapon. It's retarded logic, but thats what the ATF says.

An AOW (smoothbore pistol) with a foregrip doesnt change into anything else by putting it on or taking it off. It's already an AOW with or without the pistol grip.

A short barrelled shotgun remains an SBS till the end of time. It is a short barrelled weapon that was made from a shotgun originally. It can't become an AOW because an AOW comes from a pistol receiver only. You could make it back into an ordinary length shotgun but it would still be registered and counted as an SBS.

Washington's AG told the atf to stop all AOW shotgun transfers in Washington this fall.

Washington's AG told the atf to stop all AOW shotgun transfers in Washington this fall.

that sucks!

Can they do that? Why doesn't he just get someone in the local legislature to sponsor a bill? State laws are what determines who can have what anyway.

He's a typical FFL that doesnt know the first thing about firearms law.

If you are referring to the Class 3 dealer that I spoke to you'd be right. Kinda strange how SOTs, FFLs, and police don't always know the laws that most effect them. I had the head of a local police station explain to me how the expiration of the '94 AWB was going to make his job more dangerous and how there would be "AKs on the street with high cap mags again."