Bought 2 SAIGAs

I can't bring myself to do the conversion to the 7.62x39 yet. It has the trigger cutout but I can't see if there is a pistol grip nut cutout or not without taking the trigger out. I wouldn't want to screw it up. Appears to be 3 rivets holding the plate on in place of the two rivets and two welds holding the .308s.

Looks like an M in a triangle was etched over at the front left of the receiver, so I take it that the receiver was originally a Molot remarked Izhmash. Didn't notice it until tonight, .308 isn't remarked though.

Edited by Mak
I can't bring myself to do the conversion to the 7.62x39 yet. It has the trigger cutout but I can't see if there is a pistol grip nut cutout or not without taking the trigger out. I wouldn't want to screw it up. Appears to be 3 rivets holding the plate on in place of the two rivets and two welds holding the .308s.

Looks like an M in a triangle was etched over at the front left of the receiver, so I take it that the receiver was originally a Molot remarked Izhmash. Didn't notice it until tonight, .308 isn't remarked though.

my 7.62x39 didn't have a hole for the pistol grip. I had to drill one. It was easy though.

The easiest way to get the plate off the bottom for me was to dremel off the rivet heads first and then take a standard head screw driver and a hammer and peel up the plate from the back of the receiver then hammer the screw driver between the plate and receiver on the rivets. If you drilled a hole through the middle of the rivets the rivet should crumble or bend in on itself making it easy to come out. Otherwise just keep pulling the plate off and the rivets will eventually pop off.

Nice conversion job.

I was going to do my 16 inch s308 but I noticed that rather than having a pistol grip mount hole, it had a slit a little less than a quarter inch wide and about 1/2 inch long in its place.

This stopped me because I am not sure if cutting out the pistol grip mount hole in the middle of this slit would provide adequate strength.

Anyone encountered this slit? Is the conversion still sturdy if you cut out for the pistol grip mount hole?

Thanks,

A

There are a couple of threads on this site showing the use of the SAW-style PG w/ out needing the PG nut cutout. You are able to use the original trigger slot instead and just use a locknut and washer.

I hope the info was not particular to another caliber.

Nice conversion job.

I was going to do my 16 inch s308 but I noticed that rather than having a pistol grip mount hole, it had a slit a little less than a quarter inch wide and about 1/2 inch long in its place.

This stopped me because I am not sure if cutting out the pistol grip mount hole in the middle of this slit would provide adequate strength.

Anyone encountered this slit? Is the conversion still sturdy if you cut out for the pistol grip mount hole?

Thanks,

A

That slit is the factory trigger hole for the neutered imported models. I just looked inside mine and it already has the square hole for the PG nut cut out on the forward end of the small trigger slit. You should be fine for strength if you cut it out. The way the nut sits in there with an overhang around the top side it's not going anywhere. Just don't overtighten it any more than necessary and use a threadlocker.

Thanks Cobra. I think that I will take a stab at it over the Christmas holiday.

A

Nice conversion job.

Thanks,

A

That slit is the factory trigger hole for the neutered imported models. I just looked inside mine and it already has the square hole for the PG nut cut out on the forward end of the small trigger slit. You should be fine for strength if you cut it out. The way the nut sits in there with an overhang around the top side it's not going anywhere. Just don't overtighten it any more than necessary and use a threadlocker.

It's really not that difficult. I just did mine. The only difficulty I had was in using a g2 fcg instead of the rsa for the 308. I finally got it working but the safety has to be replaced or another tab needs to be welded on the safety. The pistol grip is the easiest part.

Thanks Cobra. I think that I will take a stab at it over the Christmas holiday.

A

Nice conversion job.

Thanks,

A

Make a re-inforcement for the gripnut out of heavy banding. The kind posts and timbers are strapped with. I had some 2" wide stuff I used on the wife's .410 that I found on a loading dock, you could get some from the crap laying by the dumpsters at a lumber store. Cut a piece shaped like the top of the PG, and let the front come under the screw or rivit that you use to attach the rear of the triggerguard. It is good steel and is already blued. If you copy the contour of the PG pretty closely it is invisible. I used the screwhole to locate the piece, and scribed the square hole through the reciever. Then I cut fhat out and filed the hole so that the nut fight TIGHT. Then I put the PG on and scribed the PG onto the reinforcement. Up to the screwhole I "eye fucked" it. Touched up the cut edges with cold blue and it dissapeares.