ak74 magazines and robarm follower

bought bakelites and robarm followers. works nice. got the bakelites from rpbusa $4.25 each though they are modified to work in sar3. magazine catch has been ground down. no rifle mods except for feedramp. some of the bullets feed without a ramp but every so often you need the feedramp. when I had the ak74 follower in I could 10 cartridges in and they fed great except for the last round. on metal followers bent the from up to act like feedramp and it worked.

bought 20 followers @$4.99 each and received them in nice time. normally $5.99 per follower. email and ask nicely could probably get the same if you order a number of them.

originally wanted bulgarian polymer magazines but the funky wood look of the bakelites grew on me.

tried the pipe method for feedramp it was not thick enough to lift the bullet. tried putting some epoxy on that didnt hold up. going to have to see if I cannot get someone to weld the pipe that or work on some aluminum stock I have cut. damn that aluminum builds up and transfers heat good.

Find the thickness of pipe that works, and do this = fit it in there nice and snug, the cut I mean, then place the whole thing on a stable surface. Make sure the gun is broken down to to JUST the receiver and barrel, prop some wood under the barrel, or clamp it or whatever.

With your finger, hold the ramp WHERE YOU WANT IT, then drill through BOTH the ramp AND the trunion WITH THE DRILL BIT SIZE THAT YOU'D USE TO TAP THE TRUNION! It's so easy, I have no Idea why everyone's so afraid to do it.

Tap the trunion (I used a 4/40) slap some epoxy down drill the right size for a clearance in the feed ramp AND RECESS THE SCREW DOWN FLUSH, so the bolt cycles through without problem.

oh yeah, before you do the drilling find a spot on the trunion that stays (loose) when cycling the bolt.

'com on just do it!!

Doesn't it!!!!! I don't mean to be such an ass about it - I just can't beleive the resistance to puting a drill to these guns! It's like drilling 101!

I tried messing with the magazines, it just was so much more a pain (if it even held together). I finally found an epoxy used to pot aircraft parts That's an oven bake, still it had to be reinforced with a little metal - whew!!!! fortunatly that's what we do, so it was a "gratuity".

feed ramp all the way!!!!!

I own the 7.62 also I don't think there's much difference, I don't mean to butt in over here - the feed ramp thing is just so silly!

Thanx for the vent. :cryss:

alot of difference between the 7.62x39 and 223.

that 30 cal bullet rizes alot easier and nicer even jhp.

using same piping the 223 just wants to nose below the chamber causing a jam.

223 rifle has tight clearence for feed ramp and bolt. either have to catch the bullet early as it moves forward(would be long enough to wind up where the feedramp is on the stock magazine) or if you have shorter ramp you have to raise it more.

dont want to modify the stock magazines much so have the length little short.

not using epoxy on magazines for feedramp. testing it on the piece of piping to raise the bullets enough and have the bolt clear it. just got it working early this morning. fed 30 rounds flawless now just need to replace epoxy with weld. wish I knew someone with welder.

on my stock magazine I ground down the top of the front magazine catch notch in front of the feedramp(squared the front eliminated the hemisphere protrusion 1-2mm from top) and when I insert the magazine the front meets the feedramp flush.

dont have any quams bout drilling and tapping feed ramp and trunion. I need a feedramp that works first before I start making holes.

• 5 weeks later...