Hi all

The Tigr rifles will soon be avaliable in England so i am taking the time to ask you guys about the accuracy of the Dragunov / Tigr (milled reciever)rifles in 7.62x54r?

I have heard mixed reports , some say it is capable of the highest degree of accuracy while others say it is capable of only mediocre accuracy so i would preffer to trust the opinnions of any of you guys that have owned/fired one.

many thanks

assassin

go here get info

http://www.dragunov.net/

dragunov they are ok , use mach ammo or reload , if you use

wolf or any other ammo , the rilfe is a good hunting gun , if you

goin for paper well mach ammo is the best , this is not a

sniper rifle like the M21,M40 or G3-ZF .

The one fired by my self got groups of 1.5 inches at 100 meters

mach ammo fmj .

• 1 month later...

The problem w/7.62x54 Drags is the lack of good lightweight match ammo. I prefer the NDM-86 in .308 (Chinese Drag) as w/168gr match ammo my personal best at 100yds is 4 shots ctc into .44" and 3 shots ctc into .24". The Drag is capable of excellent accuracy but only if you feed it right! Can you get the .308 Tigr instead of the 7.62x54?

Tomac

give me some time and i will find you a link, but there is light ammo out there in 7.62X54, some as light as 60 or 70gr

The problem isn't light ammo, it's the lack of lightweight (appx 150gr) match ammo. Wolf's new production 148gr ammo is good but not match-quality. S&B's 174gr load appears too heavy and risks damage to the rifle (same w/the 200gr load).

Tomac

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post this blurb from a army sniper guy about the svd.

Mel's sniper page:

The SVD (Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova)-Dragunov Sniping Rifle was the first rifle designed from scratch as a sniper rifle, and was introduced in the 1950's. It has very limited similarities to the Kalashnikov series of rifles. The SVD can be expected to shoot 2 MOA with quality ammo.

I have some personal experience with an original SVD (circa late 1970's). While the weapon was a bit crude when it comes to workmanship, it still functioned flawlessly. We shot extensively out to 900 meters. The rifle is extremely deadly, even with cheap surplus ammo, out to about 600 meters. After that, your pressed to hit consistantly. We easily were maintaining sub 2 MOA. The SVD is not a true sniper rifle in todays terms, but it performs exceptionally well for what it was designed for, a weapon to extend the range of the average rifle squad.

Dude! the new tigers look soooo mean! I've tried to look all over the web I'm not sure that too many make it into the counrty. if the gun fairy gave me any wishes....................... the tiger would be one of 'em!

Here is mine from CDNN.

30316DSCF0111-med.JPG

There is just alot more options in.308 for match ammo, and I wanted to use it to compete with all of my M1A buddies out here at the range. I got tired of my M1A and wanted something that would stand out. THis rifle out shoots my "loaded" SA M1A, and I can out shoot my friend wih my SVD and him using his National Match M1A. I'm not sure if it the rifle or the shooter that is better in the last case. Next time we go out I am going to shoot both and see what I can grop better with.

THe only downside to my NDM-86 is that the 4x scope it coms with is a little underpowered for what I want to do. I am going to put a Leupold adjustable milldot with drop compensator on it as soon as I find a mount that allows the scope to be as close to being over the bore as possible.

THe only downside to my NDM-86 is that the 4x scope it coms with is a little underpowered for what I want to do. I am going to put a Leupold adjustable milldot with drop compensator on it as soon as I find a mount that allows the scope to be as close to being over the bore as possible.

IOR makes an excellent 1913 milstd picatinny rail mount for the SVD, I used it w/an IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical on my NDM-86 before I switched to the new Russian 8x42D w/mildot reticle & .5moa adjustments.

Tomac

• 4 years later...
The problem w/7.62x54 Drags is the lack of good lightweight match ammo. I prefer the NDM-86 in .308 (Chinese Drag) as w/168gr match ammo my personal best at 100yds is 4 shots ctc into .44" and 3 shots ctc into .24". The Drag is capable of excellent accuracy but only if you feed it right! Can you get the .308 Tigr instead of the 7.62x54?

Tomac

• 4 weeks later...
give me some time and i will find you a link, but there is light ammo out there in 7.62X54, some as light as 60 or 70gr

The problem isn't light ammo, it's the lack of lightweight (appx 150gr) match ammo. Wolf's new production 148gr ammo is good but not match-quality. S&B's 174gr load appears too heavy and risks damage to the rifle (same w/the 200gr load).

Tomac

BTW....the info posted here in this post is dead wrong....for a real Dragunov (TIGR or SVD) with a milled receiver and not a PSL the S&B 174gr Match load and the Russian EXTRA 200 gr. (or maybe it's 203 or something like that) are excellent and perfect loads for a Dragunov in 7.62x54R. No need to worry about shooting heavy ammo out of one of these. Even Izhmash says so as they reference on their website:

"Specifications of cartridges

Cartridge designation Bullet weight, gr Muzzle velocity, m/s Muzzle energy, J

7.62x54R 13.2 720...780 approx 3600"

13.2 grams = 203.7 grains

Everyone I know in Russia that shoots TIGRs and SVDs/SVDSs use the heavy EXTRA match ammo almost exclusively.

Just clearing up more internet MIS-information.

:rolleyes: