Forearm Question

This may have been discussed here before, but I'm new and need to ask. Will a new Gali style, or other AK style forearm fit my Saiga 7.62X39 16" barrel without a lot of modification? Are they a simple retrofit or is there some procedure that needs to be done to install?

Also, what would you recommend? Tapco, or other brand? I'm leaning toward the Gaili style, but I'm flexible at this point. Thanks for your patience and input.

This may have been discussed here before, but I'm new and need to ask. Will a new Gali style, or other AK style forearm fit my Saiga 7.62X39 16" barrel without a lot of modification? Are they a simple retrofit or is there some procedure that needs to be done to install?

Also, what would you recommend? Tapco, or other brand? I'm leaning toward the Gaili style, but I'm flexible at this point. Thanks for your patience and input.

The Saiga forend guard doesn't use the traditional AK metal forearm retainer. So if you just went out and bought any AK forearm guard, it wouldn't fit because there is nothing the end of it to your rifle. Dinzag makes these for a Saiga but you must use a press and press the front site of your rifle to install them.

In short, if you don't have a press and experience working with AKs, you can't put standard foregrips on your Saiga. There are some other work arounds, but they still intail a good bit of work.

DONT WORRY. Tapco sells a nice Galil that you can use for your Saiga. It comes with that front end adapter to hold the guard still. You can also buy a rail kit for it and put accessory rails on it. You can even get it in OD green if you want.

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=19d5...ba-c129e3aa71e5

I have one on my x39 Saiga and I think it is well made. It is a simple drop in install.

For those who are shop-press declined, try a brass punch and a hammer to drive it off.

(Remove the pins of course first) The brass will not deform the ruskie steel.

You'll have to be crafty to balance everything and keep it aligned by yourself. A beer-buddy can work wonders. Try using a 1/2" diameter brass punch on the muzzle face and drive on the back of the FSB tower where it meets the barrel shroud with another.

For those who are shop-press declined, try a brass punch and a hammer to drive it off.

(Remove the pins of course first) The brass will not deform the ruskie steel.

You'll have to be crafty to balance everything and keep it aligned by yourself. A beer-buddy can work wonders. Try using a 1/2" diameter brass punch on the muzzle face and drive on the back of the FSB tower where it meets the barrel shroud with another.

Don't you still then need to do the same to the gas block? Then, how do you maintain alignment when you punch them back on?

This seems to me to be the hardest part of the "true" of complete conversion. There seem to be easier alternatives to everything else, just not the foregrip! Other than the "Saiga Galil Foregrip" by Tapco.

$60 :ded:

Yes, the gas block is the same. Make sure the sight and gas blocks aren't canted before you drive the pins in. If they are, rap them with a deadblow or rubber mallet.

Super easy with a shop press. I've disassembled every model of Saiga with brass punches before I got a press. I've disassembled/reassembled more than 20 plus AK's. Some of them several times. Also removed & replaced RSB's & barrels. It's not as scary as it sounds.

I tackled a parts kit first to harvest parts and applied to everything else. I use old broken drill bit shanks to tap the pins out with.

Yes, the gas block is the same. Make sure the sight and gas blocks aren't canted before you drive the pins in. If they are, rap them with a deadblow or rubber mallet.

Super easy with a shop press. I've disassembled every model of Saiga with brass punches before I got a press. I've disassembled/reassembled more than 20 plus AK's. Some of them several times. Also removed & replaced RSB's & barrels. It's not as scary as it sounds.

I tackled a parts kit first to harvest parts and applied to everything else. I use old broken drill bit shanks to tap the pins out with.

Fuck all that, you need to make your own version of that Tapco Gali-grip adapter that works with all standard AK lower handguards. Then you can make out like a bandit selling them to us here. Tapco won't sell their adapters seperately. You could make one for x39 and .308, then we could use whatever uppers and lowers that we want to on our Saigas.

That's a 2 piece shaft collar - a premade part that runs like $5. I bought a bunch of different sizes when I was trying to figure out a solution for my 308.

I can machine the I.D. and O.D. and then weld to a retainer with the shroud & lever portion cut off.

Probably needs a pointed set screw in the bottom to keep it from sliding forward.

Edited by dinzag
Well I dumped some chedda tonight & have some goodies on order.

I'll have $25 into parts + whatever it takes to get them done.

After the 1st I'll have some photos up. Gotta clean out the paid orders first.

so what your telling me is don't go crazy and attempt to do the removing of pieces off my barrel yet...