"proper" use of russian sniper scopes

I think whoever suggested that the russians desgined their sniper scopes to be used with the left eye must be left eye dominant.

Check this pic out:

czeczenia_30.jpg

That's a russian squad marksman using his dragunov in Chechnya - and he's using his right eye... hmmmm

Maybe he didn't pay attention during training? :lool:

Oh, found another one that didn't pay attention:

czeczenia_38.jpg

And another:

czeczenia_78.jpg

Seems that none of these guys is doing it right:

czeczenia_83.jpg

I think we can safely say that you're supposed to use your right eye with these scopes.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

I use my left eye on my PSL and get better groups. I'm not saying it's the way it was intended, but it works better for me and it makes sense. There's no way for me to get a good cheek-weld with the right eye without an ugly-ass cheek pad added on. And, if I swap from left to right eye without moving my head, I'm in line for the irons. I will admit, peripheral vision sucks when shooting that gun left eyed, but I'm not really using it to engage multiple targets, so who cares.

my .02

p.s. I don't think the gentleman in the last pic is Russian......... :ph34r:

I use my left eye on my PSL and get better groups. I'm not saying it's the way it was intended, but it works better for me and it makes sense. There's no way for me to get a good cheek-weld with the right eye without an ugly-ass cheek pad added on. And, if I swap from left to right eye without moving my head, I'm in line for the irons. I will admit, peripheral vision sucks when shooting that gun left eyed, but I'm not really using it to engage multiple targets, so who cares.

my .02

p.s. I don't think the gentleman in the last pic is Russian......... :ph34r:

Dude - he is "Russian" - probably a descendent of the Monguls. I am German and British by ancestry but consider myself an American. ;)

The evidence seems incontrovertible...however it seems all the rifles shown in the pictures have a raised cheek rest to allow use of the right eye. If one uses a Saiga with the standard or standard converted stock it is far easier in my opinion to use the left eye to get good cheek weld. It also happens the right eye is quite close to the still usable iron sights in this position. Since I'd rather have good cheek weld than use the "correct" eye to shoot I'll continue to shoot with my left eye and encourage others to at least try using the left eye if not using a raised cheek platform.

P.S. Thanks for posting the great pics!

i'm in agreement about the cheek weld thing. if i had a 2" cheek rest, i'd probably use my right eye (like every other scoped gun i have) but with a regular AK stock i just cant keep my eye consistantly in the right place when using my right eye. when i use my left eye, it's a good solid cheek weld, hence better results.

i've seen some pics from chechnya of left-eyed shooters, i'll try to find them and post here.

really, it comes down to whatever works for the shooter, and for me, with a regular AK stock and an 8x42 posp, the left eye definitely works better.

Well, I am just going from my own memory of the posts about this - and at the time, I didn't know what the proper use was - and so just didn't comment.

But I seem to recall that it was being put forth that the "proper" use of the these scopes is to use the left eye. That sounded weird to me.

Then, I come accross these pics - posted on another board and see all of these actual Russian marksmen using their right eye to sight.

So, I'm just addressing the "proper" part of the whole subject.

As to how anybody likes to use their rusky scope - more power to you :)

But the left eye method is your own invetion so to speak, not something intended by the makers of the scopes.

That is all.

I know of a few guys who served in the Russian army. They told me that in the Russian army you shoot only right handed, they don't believe in left handed shooting. They would have made life impossible for me being a left hander. I have a scope that I can mount on my Saiga and I have to tilt the rifle to be able to use it. It does have great optics and a lighted reticle and being military it is rugged.

I know of a few guys who served in the Russian army. They told me that in the Russian army you shoot only right handed, they don't believe in left handed shooting. They would have made life impossible for me being a left hander. I have a scope that I can mount on my Saiga and I have to tilt the rifle to be able to use it. It does have great optics and a lighted reticle and being military it is rugged.

Well good thing your an American :D If the need arises and you have to serve in the military - they'll let you shoot left handed :) And the rifle and optics will accomodate you just fine. Sure, you have to look at the brass zinging in front of your face but at least you'll shoot straight!

Sufficient beatings and threats of a Makarov headache will improve your right-handed shooting, Tovarisch. :haha::haha::haha:

I am right handed, but my left handed mother encouraged me to try and do things with either hand. I can shoot reasonably well left handed, but it does lead to odd questions at the range when you change back and forth. Being able to shoot that way seems to make some folk nervous.

Let 'em sweat. :donatello::donatello::donatello:

Sufficient beatings and threats of a Makarov headache will improve your right-handed shooting, Tovarisch. :haha::haha::haha:

I am right handed, but my left handed mother encouraged me to try and do things with either hand. I can shoot reasonably well left handed, but it does lead to odd questions at the range when you change back and forth. Being able to shoot that way seems to make some folk nervous.

That is a plus, big help around corners, when you can shoot from left or right.

The 2 pics at top look like Chechen Rebels.

Edited by vjor

I agree O.S.O.K.

Somebody posted this nonsense a few weeks back that they went to Russia and found out the Russian's actually shoot offset scopes with the left eye. I remember that clearly. I do not remember who posted that though.

I raised the BS flag on that one as well and never got any proof. I think somebody at that alleged range had too much vodka the night before or was simply making things up.

Every single photo or video I have of soldiers shooting PSLs and Drags were using the right eye.

These pictures are all suposed to be from the Chechyn conflict- don't think the chicoms were in on that... but if that's a .308 then he's probably Chinese. I'm not a Dragunov expert.

The Russians do have asian people in their military though - I've seen it many times.

Like GonzoX said, I've never seen any Russian's using their left eye from the right side - or the left side.

When I came accross these pics, it reminded me of that post.

I have an offset optic on my Saiga 410... and its WAAAAAAYYYY offset to the left of the centerline... in fact its almost offset outside the edge of the receiver.

I shoot it with my RIGHT EYE... and with the thumbhole stock, it is VERY comfortable... just pop the shotty to the shoulder, head up straight, both eyes open... and where that little red dot is... death follows promptly...

I dunno... I guess I would say shoot however you are comfortable and ACCURATE... thats all that really matters...

hell... my spinning reel is on the BOTTOM of my fishing pole, but I reel it in with my RIGHT HAND... just like the baitcaster mounted on TOP of the pole is reeled with my right hand... someone told me " I was wrong" .... hmm... funny... I reel with my right hand both ways... I catch lots of fish... I dont see how it makes ANY difference...

:smoke:

I am naturally left handed, but when I was in school I was forced to right handed. Because of this I can do anything with my right or left hand. I am have a right eye dominance and I can shoot a rifle with the left, but I have to work at it to see down the sights or through a scope. (I shoot with both eyes open)

The cool part about most fishing reels is that you can switch them from left-handed to right-handed in 5 seconds by removing one nut or bolt.

If only guns were that easy.

I am a righty but my right eye is much worse than my left. My Son is a lefty though. Some day I will buy him a left handed bolt gun. At least there are some guns that you can switch to one side or the other with some work. Walther G22 is one of them.

Edited by GonzoX