Saiga ak first impressions

well took the rifle out yesterday along with my sks and 2 CZ 40cal pistolas

the Saiga ran very well very impressed...this is a very well balanced rifle...i even cycled a 30 rounder a few times and that functioned great...the one thing i found was that it doesnt dispense heat very well...im sure the desert sun didnt help but the sks stayed cooler and cooled faster than the saiga did...this was the first time i got to shoot my CZ 40-p it handled great but the trigger bites (hard)...ill need to work on that with a few thousand dry fires with snap caps...still a great handgun for 300.00.

i cant wait till i get that saiga 308

I know how you feel man. I live in Az. And, I was only out about a half hour.. and my rifle was BAKED. HAHA. I keep a plastic baggie over the muzzle, to keep it clean.. and I had to take it off, cause it probably would've melted to the barrel while driving home. That rifle was HOT. The handguard works well though, but I'm thinking I'll replace the furniture with wood.. just in case. I'm thinking I'll go the route of making my own. :)

yeah the fore stock was getting pretty hot after we put about 50 rds thru it and set it down while we cycled the pistolas for about 15 minutes...i picked it up again and still pretty hot...i think this weekend ill get on a bench at a range to see how these sights are set....im your opinion were they on or did they need adjustment?

stripping this guns was a breeze...the only hitch was the latch for the gas tube...its way too stiff...it will loosen up as time goes by

i love this rifle just the way it is...i may refinish the furniture and add a bi-pod i think thats about it

Yeah, it was literally smoking today.. and I could see heat waves off it BIG time after cycling some rounds through it..(I hate reloading clips fast.. pain.) As for the sights.. they are good.. hehe, I had a gatorade bottle(one of those medium sized ones) filled with water, and I blasted it to he11. Err.. it was ripped to shreds. I shot like 10 rounds at it. HEHE. No stopping, just :killer:

Yeah, now that I've fired it and etc.. the latch doesn't stick like it used to.. it breaks down instantly. I love how ez it is now.. omg. It's not stiff at all.

I love the rifle, but the stock is a little long, and it's a little heavy. :P I'll get used to it though. HEHE.

As for sights.. I was firing like 1 round per second without stopping for a whole mag, at the gatorade bottle.. and I hit it 6 times I think(it was pretty shredded.. but there were like 8 holes in it that looked like separate shots). I think it was about 50m/54.5yards/163.5ft. away.

I liked blasted targets as decorations.. :P I need to get some mansize(and shape) targets.. and blast the nuts and head and chest.. then hang them on my walls. HAHAHA.

Edited by prophageus

thats cool...im jelous as im stuck at work and have 2000rds of wolf HP calling my name.

i dumped 30rds into a Directv dish as fast as i could pull it...twas exilirating to say the least.

i also dropped a hollow point into a frozen detergent bottle and the fucker expolded on impact it shot about 5 feet into the air...that was cool shit.

I think it's the black furniture, I went shooting all winter long - sometimes no sun (60 deg.F), it cooled off just fine! rest it in the shade, and if the you can get the bolt to stay open, do that.

yeah, if there's any oil in the gun at all, it'll smoke. Just means you gotta put more rounds through it! :killer:

I was going to ask:

are the cz's new? I've shot the cz Markorov - it's suprizingly smooth, well made gun! even for being pretty old, and looking kinda funny!

There's a cz 75 - pos-1 I've had my eye on, it's a sweet gun!! the upper slide is real thin though, i'll bet it's a pain to operate. Europe police are buying them:

post-5-1090255763.jpg

there is a CZ75 in my collection pic i posted elsewhere Saigalova....that particular one isnt mine, but it handles nice, shoots nice, and im told carries nice. great gun. buy one. I dont know if the american public can get the p-01 yet. Ive been eyeing a 75B for a while now....soon maybe. I need to get more assault weapons before first they etiher go up again, or they just ban them all LOL

There's one in my favorite gun shop!! IT IS SO FREAKING SWEET!!!!!! po-1, all the guys in the shop, want one! it fits soooo nicely in the hand, seems very balanced - I know it would shoot well, don't ask me why, I can just tell - seems very well made. They hate me 'cause every time I buy ammo I ask to handle about 5 guns - then leave!!!! I'll buy one one of these times.

My only problem is I kinda favor the 40 sw over the 9mm. although 9mm's can be bought for pennies, 40sw not so cheap! the po-1, only comes in 9mm.

but I'm with you Bvamp, I think it's going to be a smash'n grag on the rifles, in the coming year!! no lie. Most people in my city (VERY liberal) don't understand the importance of having the freedom to choose, or leaving people alone who choose to own!

The other choosing question, we're covered!! we're so freakin' weird politically in this state!!!

the PO1 is an excellent gun...one of the more pricey CZ at 420-475...it is only chambered on 9mm...its an alloy frame...the slide is squared off not as thin as the 75 model which is very similar to the browings...the 75b is a great gun for under 400.00 in my opinion the best gun for under 400.00 i paid 370.00 locally in .40...the other gun is a 40p which has been dubbed the "frankengun" this is a limited production gun (1500) this uses the same compact alloy frame as the PO1 but with a full length slide chambered in .40 for 300.00 flat..the mag that was used with this gun belongs to the full sized cz75...so it extrudeds from the gun and they put a plate on it...how ever compact cz mags will work and fit flush...i bought both guns new the 75b about 5 months ago and the 40p 2 weeks ago.

not sure if you can see these but ill try copy and paste i guess

http://www.lssix.com/forums/attachment.php...ntid=2408&stc=1

http://www.lssix.com/forums/attachment.php...ntid=2409&stc=1

http://www.lssix.com/forums/attachment.php...ntid=2410&stc=1

http://www.lssix.com/forums/attachment.php...ntid=2411&stc=1

There's one in my favorite gun shop!! IT IS SO FREAKING SWEET!!!!!! po-1, all the guys in the shop, want one! it fits soooo nicely in the hand, seems very balanced - I know it would shoot well, don't ask me why, I can just tell - seems very well made. They hate me 'cause every time I buy ammo I ask to handle about 5 guns - then leave!!!! I'll buy one one of these times.

My only problem is I kinda favor the 40 sw over the 9mm. although 9mm's can be bought for pennies, 40sw not so cheap! the po-1, only comes in 9mm.

but I'm with you Bvamp, I think it's going to be a smash'n grag on the rifles, in the coming year!! no lie. Most people in my city (VERY liberal) don't understand the importance of having the freedom to choose, or leaving people alone who choose to own!

The other choosing question, we're covered!! we're so freakin' weird politically in this state!!!

look forward to a .40s&w version of the po1...i belive the po4...i think they are set for next month

YOUR FRIGGIN' KILLIN' ME HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS!

ugh! I wish I were a more patient man.

I guess I'll just have to makle a list, and plink them off one by one!

The assault riffles HAVE to bought while they can!!

I'm a single dad, SO MANY TOYS=SO LITTLE MONEY! could drive a man to swear!

I was going to say, I'm pretty sure that the full extended hand guard trapes heat. and if you have the 16" barrel your even more screwed! I'm going to slot my hand guard I think, If I can do it uniformly and make it look good. It's a problem for me only when the sun shines, which makes me feel it's a solor thing.

If I get brave, I'll try the conventional hand guard conversion.

The only thing that bothers me is the gas vent peice, and the weird pin - if any one could explain that one out - I think I'll start another string for that.

YOUR FRIGGIN' KILLIN' ME HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS!

ugh! I wish I were a more patient man.

I guess I'll just have to makle a list, and plink them off one by one!

The assault riffles HAVE to bought while they can!!

I'm a single dad, SO MANY TOYS=SO LITTLE MONEY! could drive a man to swear!

i feel you...im just glad there are companies like CZ-USA and Saiga that make such high quality, affordible and dependiable products

so for the price of an new HK USP i can have 2 cz pistols and a saiga ak

i think you hit the nail on the head with the extended hand gaurd..it completly envelops the barrel and the gas tube on 3 sides...there really isnt any were for the heat to escape...i think clean holes drilled thru both ends in even spacing would look great and be very functional as well as easy to do.

Edited by Robgrandam

I don't think it matters. I just more lean twards the synthetic for gun furniture, it just seems more modern to me.

like i said keep it out of the sun, or paint it camo or something. I lean mine up against the car in the shade, with the bolt open. take a little break, drink a beer (or whatever). I really only have a heat problem when I rest the gun on top of the car in the sun. I shoot 1 box at a time too! any gun's going to heat up if you don't give it a rest, anyway.

we'll see after some hole drilling, maybe it'll get a little better.

I noticed the heat problem too. I took a quarter inch drill bit and drilled holes 1 inch on center down the sides of the hanguard so the holes were between the barrel and gas tube. I then took a pocket nife and tapered the holes inward. This helped the hot handguard greatly. It looks great too. If I had a digital camera I'd post a pic, but I've been spending all my money on guns, ammo (bump firing is just too much fun) and accesories. I'm sure u all understand

well the shade didnt help me much today...i took it to an indoor range to get a better feel for its accuracy...i rand off 5 mags and it still get very hot on the hand guard...it just dosent dispense heat like wood. unforunatly the rifle range was not open yet but the let me shoot it in the reg range but no bench...and 30 yds max...so i sent it out there 30yds and shot a 9" group off handed open sights...not bad but the sks shot 5" groups same environment.

you get the gun out with a ruler and you mark off your holes. Just draw a straight line, then you use a punch, or some type of hole marker that makes a dent in the material. be mindful of the slots that hold it on, 'cause if it touches the barel at all it'll melt a little!

then just put the drill to it and whamo! voulla!

I'll do it this weekend. It should look mean.

I know, I've GOT to get even a decent little camera. I found a real creative way to fix the belerus scope mount from drifting, that I know you guys would benefit from.

and I seriously want to show that bad boy off - in front of all my guitars or somethin'. dress the boy up like arnold s. (gov.) and show every one how he won't take no hotwheels car jackin'!!!!!

it'll happen, maybe this weekend.

I'm soooo serious when I say, there's not much you can do to ruin this thing!!

I've put holes in stuff chopped stuff off - put new stuff on. when something wears a little - put a screw in it! (like the front handguard). it's a remarkably forgiving design!!!!

If you've used your hands at all, you know that there's always a fix if you mess something up. The perception of "can't do it" is the only mistake you can make!!!

check me out the "guru"hehe