Finally getting one!

Ordered a new s-12 (iz-109) from Gilberts Guns. So now I can stop lurking and actually post something! Any new Saiga advice? Break-in, ect.. From what I have read, the rule seems to be don't use cheap shells. Anything else? My only immediate plans are for a LRBHO, a pistol grip, and some 10 rounders. Open for suggestions.

Ordered a new s-12 (iz-109) from Gilberts Guns. So now I can stop lurking and actually post something! Any new Saiga advice? Break-in, ect.. From what I have read, the rule seems to be don't use cheap shells. Anything else? My only immediate plans are for a LRBHO, a pistol grip, and some 10 rounders. Open for suggestions.

As far as ammo goes, I shoot the cheapest thing it will cycle (It'll cycle anything). Do a PG conversion and have fun!

Got it today!! went killin some paper! :killer: used Federal 2-3/4 power shoks 4 buck. Man was that sweet!! I need that PG asap. Another guy at the range said he has the same, but with all the bells and whistles.. sounded like about everything I'm gonna end up doing to mine. I like the Folder stock w/ the PG. and the looks of the folding tactical foregrip. How many use that style front grip? I just wonder if its a good feel as far as the grip goes. Also, this model came with a threaded barrel :smoke: , and has a small rail on the left side, just wondering if most came like this. A brake would be sweet too. Thanks for all the advise.

My RAA came with the threaded barrel too and I think that is standard now. As for the rail on the side, if you are talking about on the left side of the receivier, then it's not a rail but a safety for certain types of IZ folding stocks to keep it from from firing if I remember my instruction manual correctly.

One thing, on the front of the gas tube, you will see the number 1 and 2. That is for the amount of gas pressure that wil be transferred back up the gas tube. Make sure that you have it set on "1" if you are shooting magnum loads or you will get a lot of kick back.

The rail on the left side of the receiver is your sight mount rail. Safeties for folding stocks are not present on imported models. In Russia the gun laws do not allow the gun to be fired with the stock folded, thus the safety for domestic use there.

Edited by tritium
Well, I guess you learn something new every day. If that isn't a safety then I guess stripping the thing off won't affect the operation in any way and would give the receiver a more streamlined look.

It is usually left on. You may find it coming in handy some day. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I wanted to go and buy a Saiga S-12 from Kiesler's but they were out of stock and told me they would sell it to an FFL dealer but not to me since I live in the Cincinnati area and the City of Cincinnati has 'assault weapon' restrictions. Now I have to find another dealer to sell me a Saiga shotgun. I just hope they don't gouge me on the price.

well i didnt want to start a new thread so i thought i might as well hijack this one. also got my saiga 12 from gilberts in same day as oneshot. picked it up yesterday and was up all night converting it to testfire this morning. took about 3-4 hours to convert. here is a picture of all my AK's right now.

up top is the rommy build, i just test fired it today along with the saiga so it isnt finished yet, wood still needs to be refinished and i have to norrells it. worked great, one of my mags wouldnt fit though. one out of the 10 i brought, so i know its a mag problem, also 2-3 FTF with light primer strikes, think the firing pin might be broken actually, have to check it out.

in the middle is the saiga 308, missing the pistol grip becasue i had to steal it for the 12 guage because the rest of my conversion parts are not in yet. (have the grip itself, even the grip nut, but no screw, forgot! damnit)

and the converted saiga 12guage on the bottom. i havnt plugged the holes in the side yet, im waiting for the new buttstock so i know how far i will have to sand down the rivets once i put them in. i plan to just drop some rivets in all 4 holes to cover em up. fired my highbrass buckshot perfect, would not eject the lowbrass (aluminium i think actually!) cheap federal birdshot at all. the bolt simply was not going far enough back to eject, it kept reloading the empty shotshells. either the spring is still "tight" or the cheat ammo was underpowered.

they will all get rommy side folders, which im probaly going to order tonight. all 3 will probaly be refinished at once with norrells.

now i need some 20rnd 308 and 10rnd 12guage mags!

aks.jpg

fired my highbrass buckshot perfect, would not eject the lowbrass (aluminium i think actually!) cheap federal birdshot at all. the bolt simply was not going far enough back to eject, it kept reloading the empty shotshells. either the spring is still "tight" or the cheat ammo was underpowered.

I hate to ask...were you using the #2 gas setting?

fired my highbrass buckshot perfect, would not eject the lowbrass (aluminium i think actually!) cheap federal birdshot at all. the bolt simply was not going far enough back to eject, it kept reloading the empty shotshells. either the spring is still "tight" or the cheat ammo was underpowered.

i tried both because i honestly didnt know what was what. it failed on either setting with the lowbrass cheap ammo. worked fine on either setting with my buckshot. in fact i didnt notice a differnce between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

i tried both because i honestly didnt know what was what. it failed on either setting with the lowbrass cheap ammo. worked fine on either setting with my buckshot. in fact i didnt notice a differnce between the two.

ok, yesterday i ran 100rounds of remington highbrass #5 shot through the gun without problems.

then i tried my cheap birdshot again. runs just fine now. put an entire 30cal ammo can worth through the gun without a problem.

like i figured, just needed to be broke in some more.

the saiga-12 can cycle FAST. best purchase ive made. damn fine gun.

Yesterday I wanted to go and buy a Saiga S-12 from Kiesler's but they were out of stock and told me they would sell it to an FFL dealer but not to me since I live in the Cincinnati area and the City of Cincinnati has 'assault weapon' restrictions. Now I have to find another dealer to sell me a Saiga shotgun. I just hope they don't gouge me on the price.

Uzitger, you might want to talk to a local gun dealer in Cincinnati about this, but didn't the Ohio Legaslature override a veto in December and pretty much stripped Cin city from being able impose additional restrictions then what the state does. I believe I remember the news having a fit about it.

Like I said, check with a local dearler. They should know.

• 1 month later...

Im in the Cinci area. I bought a Saiga12 from a gun show (and I'm also waiting for my Tromix as well...yeah, so I'll have 2).

Try Target World up on Kemper Road. They suggest and will transfer from Blaine at Atlantic Firearms and also from Tony R. at Tromix

As for the law. I heard that what passed in December has to do with the magazine capacity laws and CCW while in a car etc. Essentially its to get everyone on the same page and not be caught on local ordinances for something they merely bought from a store 3 miles up the road~! What was happening was that city/town restrictions were not uniform -example: you have a drivers license and its the same rules pretty much anywhere you go... so too should be the rules for things like magazine capacity or transporting firearms.

(yes, if you had a 15 round handgun, in the trunk, and just "happen" to even be pulled over within a city limit that was over 8 rounds you could be in trouble....even if just passing through a town you never heard of. So if you lived just north of Cincinnati and wanted to go to a shooting event in Kentucky -best take the long way around a major city. That's all going to be "mostly" fixed now).

I do have a question though (which I'll have to research). I bought the replacement forend with the rail underneath. It says to check local laws etc before installing. I can't find much information on that part of things. Ok...so if you have a "stock" S12, is simply changing the forend an issue?

--> Essentially, at what point must you go down the road of 10 US parts? Is it when you choose to change/convert to a stock/pistol grip? Or is it simply "any" part change at all = all the way or not at all. If so, then what about scope mounts for that side rail?

etc etc.

I'll be sure to check with the guys down there on that part, but curious on other owners knowledge as well.

My thought is the forend and grip isnt a violation.

~S

Edited by whatmanual