Today's gun show indescretion-9mm star(CHEAP) Anyone have one/knowlegable?

This one will get laser grips for wife who can't aim worth crap. Will be sometime personal /home defense,limited use plinker.(not for carry)

Any warts to avoid?(this one seems to have been refitted with a hard chrome barrell.) Will know more in 7 days!

G O B

Which model?

I have a model B super, bought as a plinker. I'm not sure I have enough in it to ever sell it, but it mostly sets in the safe. Mine uses 1911 stuff (holster, mag carrier). Decent accuracy.

Parts are hard to come by.

Like a dummy I forgot to write the numbers/model down (will know all about it in 7 days.) But it is a 1911 clone ,uses full size grips-that is most of the attraction as I will be putting laser lite grips on this one. Also was seduced by the hard chrome barrel and VERY good fit of slide.

G O B

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the star today. Model B yearcode/O 1944. There are 9mm parrabellum,

9-19. German contract but no nazi markings. The earlier B's were 9x21 largo as are all A's. This one is in VG condition - now I need to get to the range and SHOOT the silly thing! :killer::killer::killer:

G O B

• 2 weeks later...

Range report- Damn fine shooter.Mag is very worn needed lips'massaged'. Otherwise a SWEET shooter. Went to the range with the worlds most understanding woman (wife). Went thru a box of winchester and a box of wolf. Didn't notice much difference except that wolf fed better- the winchester needed further massaging of the mag. Wife grouped tighter than I could -I am very glad thet woman LIKES me! I found this one for<$200 . If you come across one of these beauties GRAB IT! I don't think that you will find a full frame 1911 clone in 9mm anywhere near this nice for twice the price! :wub:

G O B

(p.s. Wife lied about not being able to aim for crap-her father had her shootin a pistol at 125 feet as a child -no wonder she could't get many in the bullseye!) :eek:

Edited by G O B
  • 2 weeks later...

Really like the Stars. Have a Firestar and a Model 30. Neither has ever had a jamb or misfire. About as reliable as you can get. Accuracy is pretty good at 15 to 20 yards. Finish of the pistols is nothing fancy but these were never meant to be display pieces. Understand the company is no longer in business. Too bad. Seems everyone today wants something pretty not just raw functional.

AK108- I agree a weapon should be functional and reliable. It is a TOOL. (Of course many people go for 'bling bling' like massive engraving,gold inlays ect. but as a mechanic that does not appeal to me!)

G O B

• 4 weeks later...

The Modelo BM which is a cut down Modelo B is a sweet deal right now. Wholesale on them is around $139 with plastic box, instruction manual (en Espanol), and two magazines. They are all steel and the controls are all in the same places as a 1911. They will even keep a 3-foot group at 100 yards! I would recommend an Modelo BM to anyone looking for a quality self-loading pistol.

• 3 weeks later...

Modelo B was one of my first pistol purchases years ago and it is still my favorite pistol out of all the ones I have. Maybe I'm a sentimental old schmuck but Gawd, I love the Star the best. Never had a lick of problems with it although someone did mention a problem with the mag needing lip service which come to think of it one of mine needed the same thing but wasn't a biggie.

Coastie- Mine has been claimed by the wife! (but fortunatly she lets me shoot it)

The mag that came with it was split down the back. I bought 2 mags a new one from bob's and another origional from sarco. Both function flawlesly. Everyone that has shot it loves shooting it. It is a little heavy for a carry piece,but that weight makes it SWEET when letting the smoke out of 50 or 100 rounds of wolf!

G O B

LOL, well G O B maybe you need to sweet talk that sweet pistol away from that sweet thing you're married to and have some more fun with it. I couldn't agree with you more, they Star Model B is a great pistol and I too, purchased additional mags for mine as well.

Old wooden grips on 1911 style pistols can shrink,or be damaged from over tightening the grip screws. This will cause one or more of the grip screws to bind the mag. The repair is easy, either sand the offending grip screw or use a TINY bit of PC-7 to build up the shoulder in the grip.

On another subject-It seems that at the same time that star was making pistols for the german war effort in 9mm,they were making .45 cal. pistols for england! Wouldent one those be perfect to compliment the model B ! (the way the british melted guns after the war, I wonder how many of those are left?)

G O B

• 1 month later...

Hey G.O.B., have you thought about picking up one of the Star BM models? I've been reading about them and I've yet to see any at the local gun shows. Since I don't have an FFL, I'm thinking maybe I'll order one. For the price, $129.00, it doesn't look like it would be a waste of money. Looks like it might make for a nice little C&C pistol.

Just wondered what your thoughts were and if you've purchased one. By the way, have you talked that Star Model B away from the missus yet..lol?

Coastie- Missus keeps the star company while I am at work! I have had the star out several time lately-once to the range at the NRA museum! (see post in free for all section) Haven't picked up a BM yet, but if the quality is even close to the B it is a bargain!

G O B

• 2 weeks later...