Metal Finishing Question

I am trying to get all the parts together to do my conversion and I know that there will be an area that will need to have a new finish applied under the pistol grip and trigger guard. What types of product have you all been using to cover the metal? I was looking at Semi Gloss Alumahyde II for this. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Only drawback to Alumahyde is you have to let it dry for a week. It worked real well on my G3 build. If you plan to do the entire gun, it would do well.

For the Saiga I did, I just found some engine paint that was close, semi gloss or matte black. Matches close enough to the naked eye.

I used a black BBQ paint. I cleaned the area 5 times with MIK.

Then heated the area with a torch to get out any oils in the metal.

Clened it again a few more times. Then I hit it one more time with

the torch to warm up the surface. Then sprayed her.

To tell the truth,the finish is just about as perfect a match as one

could get to the stock finish.

Just my 2 cents.

CnR

With all due respect there CnRnut, the BBQ paint has a really bad track record. Duplicolor flat black high-temp (1200 degree) engine paint works really well - bake it in the oven to cure - very durable finish though it doesn't stand up to aggressive solvents - but I don't use them on the outside of my rifles so hasn't been an issue with me. Available at walmart for $5 a can that will do two entire rifles. Just degrease really thoroughly prior to painting.

Here is a pic of my Saiga 308's receiver - fresh out of the oven with this finish.

20500PDRM0356.JPG