TRIPLE OUGHT (OOO)BUCKSHOT THOUGHTS....

At one time I used triple aught for vermin like coons and such. It completely sucked. There were just not enough pellets and the coon could take a single pellet hit and keep on going, no problem. Slapping his hairy ass with a bunch of #4 buck, and it was all over.

Maybe on larger game it might work better.

000 buck is good for lots of things. it works well on medium sized game, lots more penetration and less overall damage than slugs. works great on hogs if you can get the whole pattern on them. wouldn't use it as defensive load in an apartment complex. also pretty good on automobile bodies as compaired with smaller shot. my grandma's favorite load for keeping blackbears away was 3" 000 mag, course she can't shoot a shotgun anymore, just too old. :smoke: not too long ago i shot some Remington 3" green hulled mag loads with, i think, 11 pellets, each about .35" diameter, nasty nasty stuff.

If you need penetration then this is the answer. But I'm guessing that car doors/windshields are the biggest need, seems like 00 buck gives plenty of penetration for game, and for bears I'd be thinking slugs anyways?

What are you thinking needs a "dose" of this stuff?

So what is everyones thought on triple ought (OOO)buckshot?I've played with it before and especially with the plated buckshot,power and penetration are awesome!

Unless a particular load isnt penetrating far enough, you always want to use the small pellets. You can just fit more lead into a cylinder if the balls are smaller.

00 works on pretty much everything smaller than a bear so I see no reason to thin out the already weak pattern of 12 or (god forbid) 9 pellet buck.

Personally I would use slugs on anything too big for 00. Finding affordable 000 loads is too hard compared to 12 pellet 00 and slug loads.