(I have a Winchester model-70 super shadow) I am looking at buying the ultimate sniper stock by choate but I am confused on if mine is the short action or long because I dont have the gun here to measure it. By chance does anybody know if the 7mm WSM is short or long action. Also has anyone put this stock on a model-70 and is it worth a damn. Looks cool and appears to look comfortable.

I would guess that is a SHORT ACTION...

The long actions are for just that... LONG BULLETS... 30-06, 7mm magnum, etc..etc... ya know... bullets with a total length of like 3 1/2 - 4 inches give or take...

the WSM cartridge as its name suggests is winchester SHORT magnum... and is a SHORT cartridge... and it would stand to reason... a short action... :up:

:smoke:

Same as the above.

IIRC there are 3 basic action lengths:

1: Short action, ~308Win length and smaller

2: Long action, Longer than 308Win, ~30-06 Springfield length

3: Magnum. If they made bolt action elephant guns, they'd go here.

Now, there are of course exceptions. The Savage "short" action is about as long as most everybody else's long action (and the savage long action has no problem with magnums).

To answer your question: 7WSM is a short action round.

Edited by Rusty
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought .308 winchester fit into the long action realm, as it's only a couple mm's shorter than 8mm Mauser (both fit in the same mauser 98k actions).

I could be wrong, but I've generally seen .308 win and up as long action, .223/ 7.62x39 and shorter as short action.

I thought .308 winchester fit into the long action realm, as it's only a couple mm's shorter than 8mm Mauser (both fit in the same mauser 98k actions).

I could be wrong, but I've generally seen .308 win and up as long action, .223/ 7.62x39 and shorter as short action.

Every thing I've ever seen says that the standard short/long action split is between 308(7.62x51) and 30'06 (7.62x63).

The standard short action can be used for most anything based on the 308 case and smaller, down to rounds based on the 222 with minimal-to-no modification. The long action will handle all of this, plus rounds about the size (OAL) of the 30'06.

The magnum actions (I just learned this) are typically based on the 375 H&H cartridge overall length (OAL).

There's nothing stopping you from building a 222 varmint rifle off of a magnum action, except the weight and ginormous bolt throw.