Does anyone know anything about Vulcan Arms? They make an AK clone called the V47. They also make an AR clone, H&K clone, and Galil clone. Are these rifles any good?

The only AK's I have fired were actual Kalashnikovs and the Chinese made type 56-1. This was about 10 years ago while I was in the military. And most of those rifles were probably 40 or 50 years old. They were still kicking, and being used by commando units in the Balkans. Although I had never been a huge AK fan, I have always had a healthy respect them. So, are Vulcan Arms worth even considering? I would greatly appreciate the feedback...

I'm new here, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.

This question is frequently asked, but for the sake of good firearm business and your own health and safety, it is good that you asked this.

Vulcan is known for making very very poor quality firearms, and I'm not talking crude and simple; I mean shotty, crooked, flimsy, and unreliable. Examples include AR-15 barrels without gas ports, pinned brakes with pins obstructing the bore, and some really stupid manufacturing methods, such as welding an AK receiver to the trunion, and piling up weld material for a feedramp.

While most companies offer generally good products with low error rates, Vulcan, formerly known as Hesse, offers products with a low success rate.

Now to be fair to them, they do have some good ideas with their configurations and accessories. And if you were to buy components made by them for your own build, your results would improve greatly over theirs.

Bottom line, buy their parts if you check with those who've used them and know how to use and modify them yourself, but buying a complete rifle is really like playing the lottery.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback. The last thing I want to do is spend my hard earned money that will maim me from the wrong end. So, what should I spend my money on? Or better yet, when the AWB crashes and burns, will Saiga begin making rifles with pistol grips? Or kits possibly? I guess I would just like to know on what AK style rifle my money would be best spent on....

Thanks again.

txlepad: have you checked into the SAR1 or WASR rifles from romainia? An SAR1 is about 350 or so, depending where you are, and if your dealer is price doubling, and is great bang for the buck. It is post-ban though, so I dont know if that is what you wanted, was the option to add a folder or any other accessory....my SAR1 shows almost no signs of wear in the reciever after about 2500+ rounds and not one cleaning, save dry rodding it once after each session. I have a post that I put it side by side to my saiga12 part for part if you are curious. The Siaga 7.62x39mm from what I can tell from the huge amount of info on this board, looks like a very easy conversion to pistol grip, but like i said, I dont know if you wanted options of folders, flash suppressors, etc etc. The only hesse I have shot wasnt THAT bad like BattlerifleG3 described some of them, but the guy who let me shoot his did say the same thing, and that he had gotten lucky and got it from the shop practically as it came off the truck. That flawed, I wouldnt ever consider them, due to price. But thats just me. Ill take the cheapo SAR1 any day over a pre ban for 1400. It is JUST an AK you know....

I don't know if I trust myself enough to do it on my own. I also don't need a folding stock, bayonet lug, or flash suppressor. I don't need an AK for any type of tactical use, I have my Bushmaster for that. Besides after the AWB sunsets I should be able to add on any of these anyway. Basically I just want another toy. :D

Not all Hesse/Vulcans are complete trash, just too many to take the gamble. I seriously hear far more bad about them than good, and I mean on orders of magnitude.

I would second the recommendation of doing your own Saiga conversion.

This is why:

18043BRG3s_AKs.jpg

Center is converted Saiga 7.62x39mm, left is yet-to-be converted Saiga 223, and right is Saiga 308 in the midst of a drastic conversion.

hey BattlerifleG3, when you do your conversion to your 308, are you going to leave the wood on it? or did you put it on there....I need wood for my saiga12. let me know if you want to part with the stocks, or if you dont, where you got them if they arent original.

I am keeping the forend, at least for now, but when all is finished I will be selling the buttstock. I doubt that I would recommend using the forend from the 308 on the 12, so I'd suggest doing your own custom forend (give me dimensions and I could help make this determination, and possibly make a custom forend, depending on time and material availability). The buttstock should be totally interchangeable, though it was dang freakin tight in the 308 receiver and might benefit from some sanding if used elsewhere.

well, LET ME KNOW when you are getting rid of the buttstock. I am calling dibs on it. the forearm, well, a 12 gauge is about 1", and the length of the forearm shouldnt matter too much, but it looks similar....I have a good woodworking shop at my fathers house, and access to milling machines elsewhere, so I can do the little bit of inletting that I am sure will be needed. shouldnt be a big deal, just an adjustable router head and a custom jig. I need wood on my damn shotty. this plastic b.s. is killin me. I am this close to breaking down and making one myself...but if you are gonna part with yours maybe, maybe I'll save myself some work and buy yours :)

p.s. why is the wood discolored rearward of the reciever in that picture?

Edited by Bvamp

The buttstock is not inserted all the way in. I just threw what I could on for the photo. The handguard is not screwed in, nor is there any action rod or bolt carrier. Lack of everything below the receiver.

Since you have access to those nice tools and I'm planning to keep my forend, I'd recommend making your own handguard, but I'd be happy to sell my buttstock. Come to think of it, I'll PM you on the matter.

BattleRifleG3,

That Saiga conversion looks great. I think I might be able to scare up someone who can help me do a conversion. Or at least keep me from killing myself.

JesusCow,

The AK-USA rifles are very sweet, but too rich for my blood.

I think I may just look into converting a Saiga. Now I just need to decide on a caliber....Leaning toward .223 just because I already buy it in bulk. But I have always been partial to .308.....