223 Recoil VS 7.62x39 Recoil?

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot the .223s and have shot the 7.62s. To be anything resembling competitive, you cannot run 7.62 against 5.45 or 5.56 mm. The recovery time for follow-up shots with the 7.62 s just too much too consider to even try to win a match.

Edited by inparidel
Whats the difference in recoil between the two? I have the S-12, 308-1 and x39. Thinking of getting the 223. Thanks.

This might be 'old hat' to you (in which case I apologize), but as a general 'rule of thumb,' recoil tends to increase with bullet weight (at any given velocity & any given firearm weight). The average .223/5.56 round will push a 55-60 grain bullet out the end of the barrel at 3,000 feet per second, or better (depending on barrel length). The 7.62x39 M43 will generally be loaded with a bullet that weighs about twice as much (123 grains, plus or minus), at about 2,300 FPS (again, depending on barrel length, etc.). There are equations you can use to calculate recoil (I think I've got one at work, which of course is not where I happen to be). There is also an online 'calculator' available:

http://kwk.us/recoil.html

With an input of 8.5 lb (rifle weight - based on my 16" .223 Saiga w/military folding stock, 6 compliance parts, sling, & empty mag), 3050 FPS muzzle velocity (ball park for 55 grain 5.56, 16" barrel), and 27.5 grain charge weight (ball park, from Lee reloading manual), the calculator gives 3 ft/lbs recoil for the 5.56. With an input of 8.5 lb (same rifle weight), 2300 FPS muzzle velocity (text book M43), and 25.5 grain charge weight (ball park, from Lee reloading manual), the calculator gives 6 ft/lbs recoil for the 7.62x39. In other words, if the equation & input are correct, the .223/5.56 will (in general) generate about HALF the recoil of the 7.62 M43.

FWIW (& as a way to double check the online calculator), I've got a copy of a published chart here at home that lists 7.62x39 (123 grain) recoil at 5.1 ft/lbs in an 8.5 lb rifle. The .223/5.56 unfortunately isn't listed.

Also, and again FWIW, muzzle brakes act on escaping propellant gases, not the bullet. With that in mind, I believe brakes tend to be most effective with the lightest bullets, driven at the highest velocities, with the largest propellant charges, generating the greatest volumes of propellant gases. So a muzzle brake (AK-74 or other design, if that's an option for you) would tend to be more effective with the .223/5.56 than with the 7.62 M43.

Finally, based on personal 'seat-of-the-pants' experience, with Mini-14s, ARs, AKs, SKSs, and bolt guns, I would guess that the .223/5.56 recoil is noticeably less than 7.62 M43 recoil, given comparable rifle weights, etc...

Obviously, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.,...

The recoil of the 7,62x39 is heavier than the .223, now if you want all around

gun with a nice punch the 7.62x39 now ok to plink and ok when crap

can happens the .223

Ok my self love the 7.62 x 39 and it can do a lot of damage and recoil

to me is minimal, now wife likes the .223 recoil is light compare to 7.62 x 39

if all the family is to use the gun the .223 is the way to go, if mostly for you

and something that will quick some ass big time the 7.62x39.

Now like dick weed says, yea U can use the .223 for competition because of low recoil

compare to 7.62x39 but man that 7.62x39 with 30 rounders can do some real damage

in real world scenario.

...but man that 7.62x39 with 30 rounders can do some real damage

in real world scenario.

Not to mention an AK with a 75-rd or 100-rd drum - and 7.62 drums are a lot cheaper than .223 drums...

;>)

The recoil of the 7,62x39 is heavier than the .223, now if you want all around

gun with a nice punch the 7.62x39 now ok to plink and ok when crap

can happens the .223

Ok my self love the 7.62 x 39 and it can do a lot of damage and recoil

to me is minimal, now wife likes the .223 recoil is light compare to 7.62 x 39

if all the family is to use the gun the .223 is the way to go, if mostly for you

and something that will quick some ass big time the 7.62x39.

Now like dick weed says, yea U can use the .223 for competition because of low recoil

compare to 7.62x39 but man that 7.62x39 with 30 rounders can do some real damage

in real world scenario.

Veej. . .after a few PMs and my invites for you to come out and shoot with us at my club, I THOUGHT we were friends. . .but. . . I am pretty surprised to read the "dick weed" comment. Cobra asked me to get to know you to get you out of the house and shoot with my club, but. . ."dickweed????" What have I ever done to you? Forget about shooting with us. Our club is one of the largest and most important in the Southeast US. We have some of the best shooters in the SE and have ex and current mil, SWAT and spec ops people from this country and from abroad. You could have learned alot. We also at least wait for people to screw with us before we call them names. I am sorry you turned out to be. . .well. . .it takes one to know one. Your loss bud. I am on the BOD of the club and therefore, I would have easily let you shoot for free for a while because Cobra said you were cool and needed to get out and didn't have much cash. I was willing to do all that, but now. . . . enjoy yourself. See, 'ya!

P.S.

read and learn something:

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Zielwirkung...d_patterns.html

Edited by inparidel
Go out and shoot a half dozen .30-378's.. then shoot the 7.62x39... you'll be thinking "recoil, what recoil".. LOL

If you're shooting .30-378's, sir, you're way, way out of my league (talk about 'HIGH performance').

Now, I do know a gent who has a .50 BMG (haven't gone shooting with him yet, dang it, even though I did offer to buy some ammo for the excursion when he has the time ;>). But most of those puppies weigh as much as your favorite dog, and come equipped with muzzle brakes the size of a pop bottle, so I'm not sure how the recoil would compare to your 'mega-30'...

Most 50 BMG's with any decent brake will have very mild recoil, comparative to what you would expect from a round that big.

Mine doesnt have a super high tech brake, just the machined "shark gill" brake, and it is far more comfortable to shoot than any pump action 12 gauge, with 3" shells, and many high power bolt actions.

I would rather shoot my .50 BMG than my buddies .416 Remington magnum, or his .308 Lazzeroni Warbird. Both of thouse have some serious OUCH factor... I can shoot the .50 all day long and enjoy it, without worrying about any sore shoulders! :up:

:smoke:

I seem to recall that, throughout my military career, Army small arms trainers refer to the recoil of the 5.56x45mm NATO (.223 Rem) as a "firing impulse". To me, that more accurately describes the recoil of a .223 AND 7.62x39. In my experience, muzzle-rise is slightly more of a problem with 7.62x39, but neither one are big kickers.

IMO, comparing the recoil of a 7.62 and 5.56 is the equivalent of comparing tiny versus tinier. My advice would be to let your family members shoot both to see that recoil is a non-issue with those calibers (hopefully!) and then pick the caliber you purchase based on the characteristics other than just recoil.

Go out and shoot a half dozen .30-378's.. then shoot the 7.62x39... you'll be thinking "recoil, what recoil".. LOL

If you're shooting .30-378's, sir, you're way, way out of my league (talk about 'HIGH performance').

Now, I do know a gent who has a .50 BMG (haven't gone shooting with him yet, dang it, even though I did offer to buy some ammo for the excursion when he has the time ;>). But most of those puppies weigh as much as your favorite dog, and come equipped with muzzle brakes the size of a pop bottle, so I'm not sure how the recoil would compare to your 'mega-30'...

A buddy from college had one... I wouldn't call shooting it an enjoyable experience.

...I would rather shoot my .50 BMG than my buddies .416 Remington magnum, or his .308 Lazzeroni Warbird. Both of thouse have some serious OUCH factor... I can shoot the .50 all day long and enjoy it, without worrying about any sore shoulders! :up:

:smoke:

Maybe I'm just a wimp. I used to have a friend who had a .300 Win Mag (built on a Mauser action) and a .375 H&H (or ".375 Belted Rimless Magnum Nitro Express," as the Brits used to call it, which name I prefer, because it kind of rolls off the tongue, and because it's almost as long as the cartridge case ;>). The .375 was a Sako, with an appropriate low-power Leupold scope mounted, that my buddy bought off a guy, who had purchased it (after much research) because it was the 'PERFECT' combination of hunting rifle/scope/cartridge. The guy fired half a box of ammo, realized a .375 H&H was not 'PERFECT' for him, and then planted the works (the Sako, with Leupold scope, & the remaining half box of cartridges) in his closet for 15 or 20 years. My friend got it for $600, in mint condition, including the 'spare' 10 cartridges.

Being an old fart, I'm running on like Grandpa Simpson (sorry). Bottom line: I've fired a light-weight(?) .300, and a medium-weight .375, and didn't much care for either one (.30-06 is fine by me). My opinion might be different, of course, if I had some critter with "blood in it's eyes" comin' down my throat (in which case I might wish I had your friends .416 in my hands ;>).

By the way: where do you live? If you can shoot a .50 BMG all day, you must have piles of ammo (and probably guns ;>), which means any number of guys here would love to go shootin' with you...

(Just funnin' you, sir... ;>)