Sellier and Bellot 3" OO Buckshot

S&B buck, to put it simply, sucks.

It is soft lead, unbuffered, no shotcup, and takes up the length of a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" offering.

On top of that, it has the LOWEST velocity out of any shotgun round I have ever tested. velocities of around 800-900fps are common. It also patterns worse than any other buckshot I have tested (due to the reasons mentioned earlier).

If you want a good economical 12 pellet buckshot, get the Nobel Sport buck being offered at places like AIM and Sportsman's Guide. It is unbuffered, but VERY hard lead shot (harder than many plated buck) and is actually slightly larger than the typical 00 pellet. It also has a good velocity of 1290fps, and patterns decently.

I endorse Nobel Sport all the way, and would use it for bear defense.

Cool.I should look into the Nobel Sport rounds.I have always had really good patterns with the Sellier ans Bellot in 2 3/4" loadings in all of my 12 gauges.12 pellets to boot also.It sounded like 15 pellets out of the 3" would be even better.True the pellets aren't super hard but pellets hitting and deforming within the target would be a kin to the old "chilled shot" loads.Old timers liked these loads as more knock down power was added by the flattening pellets acting kinda like soft points.For bear though,I would go with the hardest pellets. :ded:

Cool.I should look into the Nobel Sport rounds.I have always had really good patterns with the Sellier ans Bellot in 2 3/4" loadings in all of my 12 gauges.12 pellets to boot also.It sounded like 15 pellets out of the 3" would be even better.True the pellets aren't super hard but pellets hitting and deforming within the target would be a kin to the old "chilled shot" loads.Old timers liked these loads as more knock down power was added by the flattening pellets acting kinda like soft points.For bear though,I would go with the hardest pellets. :ded:

I'm using the S&B for home defense, just because I'm never going to get a full across house shot where it'd actually spread to a pattern bigger than a human. Plus, I figure if it actually gets a bigger spread, then there's a slightly better chance that I'll hit if I don't aim absolutely 100% precise.

For anything like hunting, property defense, zombie hunting, bug out, etc, it's 3" Remington or 3" Federal all the way. IDEALLY I'd like to get brass cases and load them with a nice heavy, powerful, 3", but un-shotcupped, 15 pellet 00 load. I want a nice powerful and plentiful load, but at least for home defense I don't want a really tight grouping. I want at least some spread.

i cannot speak for S&B, but nothing low brass of reduced recoil will cycle reliably on #1 in my gun. I use the reduced recoil speer lawman for HD purposes....for that and birdshot, i gotta keep it on #2 to keep things running smooth. I dont switch to #1 unless im shooting 3" buck or slugs

S&B buck, to put it simply, sucks.

It is soft lead, unbuffered, no shotcup, and takes up the length of a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" offering

I use it exclusively in IDPA competition (USPAS/IPSC does dot use anything over #6). It IS 3". And as such responds a bit different than 2/3/4".

As a mattert of course, I bevel the S-12 giude tang and the bottom of the cylinder opening. Performance WITH A BLACKJACK OR HALVED bLACKJACK buffer is 100%. I generaally use Buffertech bufers in any gun I own that can have a buffer, HOWEVER, Blackjack buffers, whole and halved run 3" S&B rounds (and all 3" rounds) MUCH better tha