Cutting a grip-nut hole sucks.

Ahh it's not so bad. Just drill four holes in a square and connect the dots with a cutoff wheel. I got lucky on the one I'm doing now and the PG nut hole was already there.

I'll tell ya what sux. I'm putting a Vepr stock on mine and I have to cut about an a 1 inch triangle off the rear of the receiver.

Getting it exact should be fun. I'm already dreading having to cut thru that hardened steel. :ded:

Cutting a grip-nut hole sucks.

Ahh it's not so bad. Just drill four holes in a square and connect the dots with a cutoff wheel. I got lucky on the one I'm doing now and the PG nut hole was already there.

I'll tell ya what sux. I'm putting a Vepr stock on mine and I have to cut about an a 1 inch triangle off the rear of the receiver.

Getting it exact should be fun. I'm already dreading having to cut thru that hardened steel. :ded:

I wanted to do that, but then I remembered that Veprs have a thicker receiver.

Is it safe to do it? Its actually not very hard to cut if you use the Dremel fiberglass cut-off wheels.

Edited by headshot
Well I cut that sucker off today. It was easy once the exact measuring was done. Used a 420 cutoff wheel. It's all or nothing now...

Maybe I'll just modify the Vepr stock instead.............

Your commitment to badass-ness of personal weaponry is admirable.

Wait until nazi pelosi has her way with us. It will probably got alot more complicated.

:lol::lolol::lolol:

Yeah I know, tell me about it!

I don't think anyone will ever know everything there is to know about this cockamany bullshit!

If there was a way to sum it all up in one sticky post it would have been done years ago and 90% of all the questions asked on gun forums would be easily answered with a link and a ;) wink. Instead it just stinks! I wish I had a Krink! I'd go shoot a mink.

Instead I just drink.

Uh oh Cobra's finally lost it I think...

I'm getting ready to convert my .308 and I've read about people having problems with the G-2 in the .308. Has anyone used one without the safety problem? Is this problem caused by not trimming the front right corner of the trigger cutout in the receiver?

Also...If I use a choate drag stock does that count as two parts or one?

Is this a joke? You are asking compliance and conversion questions?

Call me a gun-toting liberal.

(Political Bullshit)

My cold, dead hands, etc.,

Benjamin Granquist

BTW, I'm damn near done with the 308 conversion, hope for a range report next month.

As far as trigger guard hardware is concerned, my kingdom for a cherrymax. Cheers

Edited by 747mech

I just converted mine today. Took about an hour and a half, including pulling the G2 trigger group from another AK that I built a while back. I had to do it so I could legally use the 20-round mags.

I need to polish those surfaces, though. The trigger is creepier on this rifle than it was on the Romy AK for some reason.

Edited to add:

I used the dremel and cut off wheels for most of the job, including the holes for the grip nut. Those wheels are cheap, and you can use a piece of scrap metal to get their diameter down to the size you need for cutting the square hole. It's easier than drilling the four corners and connecting the dots.

I cut the spot welds easily with DeWalt Pilot-point bits and some lube. I used spray-on case sizing lube (the same stuff I use for reloading rifle rounds) to cool the metal as I was drilling slowly. It cut right through.

I cut the rivets with the dremel. I also cut the excess hammer material with the dremel and a cutoff wheel.

The job was a whole lot easier than I expected.

Edited by lazlong

Lazlong I hear ya on the small wheels for the PG nut hole. I always take mine off and save them when they get worn down to 1/2" just for that purpose. ;)

It's still nice to have the holes in the corners though. I use an old bottom plate from an S-12 for a pattern. It has the four holes already drilled and I just put two screws in it to hold it where it goes and drill thru it. No measuring, just bam, done!

Lazlong I hear ya on the small wheels for the PG nut hole. I always take mine off and save them when they get worn down to 1/2" just for that purpose. ;)

It's still nice to have the holes in the corners though. I use an old bottom plate from an S-12 for a pattern. It has the four holes already drilled and I just put two screws in it to hold it where it goes and drill thru it. No measuring, just bam, done!

I used the old chopped receiver from one of my Romy kits for a pattern. Worked great!

Lay the cut off portion against the receiver, scribe a line, cut, done.

There are probably as many ways to do this as there are people who've done it.

Cobra,that looks great! im usealy not that crazy about thumbhole stocks but thats killer.

Yeah man I hate butthole stocks too. They remind me too much of the AWB days. I just decided with this one I wanted something completely different than any other Saigas in country. I was gonna do a Drag stock like yours but I had this one already and I just love wood on a gun. Thanks dinzag! :super: Almost went with a Romy wood stock off a WASR but this is so much nicer and I'm keping my eye out for a real PSL some day. The handguard was more trouble to mount than the stock actually because there wasn't anything to fasten to at the rear and the front had no bracket to lock into the cross pin so I had to make one. I'm happy with it. Hell I already had 6 PG Saigas and a few more bone stock so I thought, why not? After the receiver mod I guess it's there to stay.