Anyone use Galil mags?

Anyone use the Sythetic Galil mags from CDNN? Did it take alot to mod them so they will work?

Do a search on "Orlite" (the manufacturer of the synthetic Galil mags) and you will turn up a bunch of information. The answer to your first question is 'yes' (which is probably why CDNN sold out the $5 used Orlites so fast). The answer to your second question is 'no' (which is probably why CDNN sold out the $5 used Orlites so fast ;>). The new Galil Orlites at $10 a pop are still (IMO) a real bargain...

Anyone use the Sythetic Galil mags from CDNN? Did it take alot to mod them so they will work?

Do a search on "Orlite" (the manufacturer of the synthetic Galil mags) and you will turn up a bunch of information. The answer to your first question is 'yes' (which is probably why CDNN sold out the $5 used Orlites so fast). The answer to your second question is 'no' (which is probably why CDNN sold out the $5 used Orlites so fast ;>). The new Galil Orlites at $10 a pop are still (IMO) a real bargain...

You'll need a bullet guide....DINZAGs is very nice and very affordable...Like $30 or something? Then some simple dremel work (about 20-30 seconds per mag...seriously) and your all set.

galilmagmod.jpg

Got 10 so far and plan to keep ordering 5 a month until CDNN runs out or I run out of space to store magazines.

Glad you mentioned that Dinzag. I was wondering if you were going to have to do any mods on the steel ones you had. I do know that the rear catch on the orlites needs to be built up just a bit to keep them from moving. I'm working on getting the needed parts so I'll be in compliance with the regs. BTW, where are the orlite mags made?? I didn't see anything on mine to indicate this.

Edited by Hylndr

I have an old ragged 50 and a couple brand new 5's. All of them sit too low (even while I push them up in the back) to feed reliably. Comparing to the orlites and weigers the rear catch to top of the top round is 0.06" less. If I don't pull completely up on the back of the mag, the bolt misses the round completely. If I pull up it will catch it, then slip off the base and drag the round forward. :wacko:

Yes, they work great! Only mod is the outside of the front sides so they fit in the magwell.

The steel ones are another story. Looks like the rear catch needs to be lowered 0.050-0.060".

Dinzag do you have any .223 flat cut trunnion bullet guides left?The full kit kind with all the drill tap and screw.

Yes I do, there's a link in my signature line as well as a post at the top of the for-sale section.

Pics, prices, instructions as well as a tip sheet for modifying 223 mags and what mags I've has success with.

You'll need a bullet guide....DINZAGs is very nice and very affordable...Like $30 or something? Then some simple dremel work (about 20-30 seconds per mag...seriously) and your all set.

galilmagmod.jpg

Got 10 so far and plan to keep ordering 5 a month until CDNN runs out or I run out of space to store magazines.

Good pic, but. . .I found that the top of the mag may (depending on the gun) "quish" and prevent feeding unless you also file down a tad of those vertical ribs at the top of the mag. You then have to get a pencil wrappped in 100 grit sandpaper to about the same diameter as a round and angle the inside of the feed lips so the front is a bit higher than the back, although all of the lip needs to be thinned out. Also, I am one of those that modded the bpottom of the trunion lugs to original AK spec, so I can use my mags in all my .223 AKs without altering the front of the mag (the so-called Saiga cutouts).

I have an old ragged 50 and a couple brand new 5's. All of them sit too low (even while I push them up in the back) to feed reliably. Comparing to the orlites and weigers the rear catch to top of the top round is 0.06" less. If I don't pull completely up on the back of the mag, the bolt misses the round completely. If I pull up it will catch it, then slip off the base and drag the round forward. :wacko:

I originally had the same result with half of the rounds feeding from my 12-rd steel Galil mags. The mags fed cartridges just fine from the right side, but not from the left column of cartridges (exactly as you describe it: the bolt would ride over the left-hand cartridge, drag it forward a bit, and put a heck of a dent in the case as it jammed). I don't know why it was a problem on only one side - the feedlips on both sides looked absolutely identical.

Since you're way ahead of me when it comes to "gunsmithin'", I'm sure you thought about removing some material from the bottom of the feed lips, so the cartridges could rise a bit higher inside the mag body. Being a glutton for punishment (i.e., working with hand tools ;>), that's what I did: I made a 'relief cut' in the back of the mag, so I could get a small file on the bottom of the feed lips, and filed a pretty good angle on them, without allowing the extreme edge to retreat any (didn't want to let the gap between the left & right feed lips to increase). Worked like a charm - the left-hand cartridges pop up high enough now for the bolt to engage them reliably (100% so far), and the file work seems to allow the bullet noses to rise more than the base of the cases, which I figure promotes reliable feeding with the 'low-rider' Galil mags.

I liked the results so much on the left side of the mag that I did the same work on the right side, also. The feedlips are so over-built that you could probably pound nails with the top end of the mag, so removing some material won't (IMHO) weaken them to any significant extent...

Your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

Inparidel, all of my orlites feed flawlessly in my 223 with the new guide I put in there. I didn't have to do a thing to them other than the mod you see there. I didn't mill the trunnion lugs as I wanted to be able to use a variety of mags.

Bad Bob, good post. :up: I thought of doing that, but I might try grindinng off the rear catch & welding a new thicker one on a little bit lower. When I get some time I will mess with it. You gotta love the looks of that 50 rounder!

You gotta love the looks of that 50 rounder!

Absolutely! I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need one - but in all honesty, I think EVERYBODY needs one, because they're so freaking cheap right now. (Remember when AK drum mags were cheap? Wish you had bought one??? ;>) And if one is worth having, then it's also worth having a spare! And maybe one for 'investment' purposes...

(M-u-s-t n-o-t r-e-a-c-h f-o-r c-r-e-d-i-t c-a-r-d... ;>)

(And thank you very much for the 'thumbs up' on the file work! ;>)

Edited by Bad Bob

By the way, I've been meaning to ask - has anyone else noticed that Orlite mags from (what I assume are) different production runs fit differently? If you look to the right of the "ORLITE-ENG. CO" label (look outside the rectangle), there's a circle with a line through it. Below the line are two numbers: 03, 04, 05 or 06 (on the mags I got from CDNN, anyway - I assume there are numbers below 03, and above 06). Anyway, I've noticed that the 03/04 mags seem to fit looser than the 06s, with the 05s being kind of mixed.

I don't know if that's something that's common to all Orlite mags (maybe they thickened-up the mag catch in later production runs, on purpose, to more closely match the steel Galil mags???) or if it's just a 'random chance' thing with my order...

Rotflo

Sorry I was just laughing at some people, still stock on the same

stuff, I guess they do not know better, any way bad bob what you post is interesting

I was into getting some 35 rounders steel ones but 35 bucks for one at DSA is kind of high when you can get orlites for 10 bucks, and 50 rounders damn kind of big one.

Edited by vjor
Aren't those numbers the DATE (year) of manufacture?

I doubt you will find too many with higher than 06 if that is the case... least not for a while... :up:

:smoke:

You got me - for all I know, the numbers refer to the number of wives the president of the Orlite company has run through, as of the date of production...

;>)

FWIW, I got my batch of mags several months ago (I bought the mags BEFORE I bought my .223 Saiga ;>). If those numbers are the year of manufacture (06=2006), then the Israelis must surplus the things pretty dang quick (I got more 06s than any other designation), and CDNN must have some sort of 'Super Express' import license set up, to get them over here that quick. I'm not saying it's impossible (especially since the mags look brand new - thank you agan, CDNN! ;>), but I'm not even sure the Israelis use the same calendar we do (some countries don't).

That's not the important question anyway - has anyone else noticed 03/04 Orlites fitting more loosely than 06s, or was it just my batch? (Heck - maybe wife #6 has a bit more impressive dimensions in some places than the previous 5, and Mr. CEO modified his product to celebrate! ;>) That may (or may not) be important to some folks. If the higher numbers fit tighter, it might be worth knowing. Guys that need the tighter fit could swap with those that don't...

I was into getting some 35 rounders steel ones but 35 bucks for one at DSA is kind of high when you can get orlites for 10 bucks, and 50 rounders damn kind of big one.

You're right, Compadre - $70 for 7 Orlites looks a lot better to me than $70 for 2 steel mags. As for the 50-rd mags, I figure it might be worth having one for 'home defense' (not likely to need to go prone). Or maybe for taking pictures: if I can figure out how to mount a camera on the Saiga, I could use that freaking-long 50-rd mag as a monopod...

;>)

Just to make things clear, when I post before that I was laughing at some one, I was not refering

to you Bad Bod but some one else.

I just think that prices for ak stuff sucks big time, when you find something usually is over

price like hell.

Edited by vjor
Just to make things clear, when I post before that I was laughing at some one, I was not refering

to you Bad Bod but some one else.

Hey, Sir, no problem, I didn't take it that way. And if anyone here ever really wants to laugh at me, they've got my 'pre-approval' - I know I'm among friends (which is the most important thing ;>). Plus, that's why I picked the screen name "Bad Bob," years ago, on a different forum. As I think I mentioned to dinzag recently, "Bad Bob" was a supposedly 'bad-@ss' character in the movie 'Judge Roy Bean,' who lasted about 3 minutes before Paul Newman shot him in the back (blew a hole through him so big you could see 'blue sky,' if I remember right ;>). Now that's the way, IMHO, to deal with anyone who thinks they're a real 'bad-@ss' (figuratively speaking, of course: all State, federal, and local laws obviously apply ;>)...

So, please 'pull the trigger' if I ever get too full of myself! BTW, I'm a cantankerous, gray-haired, old-fart - pulling my chain (if you ever decide to do it ;>) just adds years to my life. Have at it (and thank you!!!)!

(But - FWIW - I'm not promising I won't pull back! Not that you have anything to worry about!!! ;>)

Edited by Bad Bob
...I do know that the rear catch on the orlites needs to be built up just a bit to keep them from moving. I'm working on getting the needed parts so I'll be in compliance with the regs...

Actually, you don't need to "build up" the mag catch, if you don't want to. The standard conversion cookbook...

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_5.htm

...suggests that you shorten the front trigger guard 'tang.' If you know you are going to be using only, or mostly, Galil Orlites (like yours truly - I bought more than I'll ever need when they were $5 each ;>), you can leave the front trigger guard tang 'long,' which allows the 'tang' to function as a 'filler' between the mag catch & the bottom of the receiver. In other words, you can make the Orlites fit 'rock solid,' by adjusting the fit - either by filing the 'tang' for thickness (which I did, & recommend ;>), or by filing the mag catch on each mag (which I also did, because I screwed up, on some of my '06' marked mags - which apparently have thicker mag catches than the 03 or 04 marked Orlites ;>).

Works great if you want to go that way. Obviously, 'YMMV, caveat emptor, offer not valid where prohibited, etc., etc.'

The best part - if you change your mind, all you have to do is remove the trigger guard (2 bolts) & shorten the 'tang,' as per the excellent Saiga 'cookbook' instructions, and you're ready to swap over to Bulgy mags, Weigers, or even Nancy-Pelosi's-custom-made-politically-correct-Saiga-mags-for-law-abiding-American-gunowners (1 round capacity? Or more likely, ZERO round capacity, with room only for a folded-up copy of the government-approved lirics to 'Kumbaya'... ;>)

(I was stuck living - if you can call it that - in Kalifornia for more years than I want to remember, so 'ask me how I know' about Comrade Speaker Pelosi... )

FWIW...

As a general rule, the front 'LUG' on the Olite mags needs to me added onto (i.e., made thicker). That makes the thining and raising of the feed lip angle minimal. Any god Saiga .223 conversion results i a slight filing down of the mag catch surface. IF you have dne this, as well as added the bullet guide (rega,rdless of type), you can shoot ANY .223 AK mag, so long as you reduce the trunion lugs to stock size. Otherwise, you will have to do the front of the mag "cutout," which makes the mag S-.223 exclusive. Your SAR 3 and other .223 AKs are out of luck with that mag (more or less due to the sloppy fit). My S-.223 has internal "dimples" I made rom sections of an HK G3/91. That's why I need to thin out the vertical ribs to avoid the squishing of the mag top and feed problems.

Here's the factory chamber grind on the SAR 3:

gallery_108_110_465892.jpg

Here's the copy of that grind "ramp" on my S-.223"

gallery_108_110_273051.jpg

Here's the factory trunion lug depth/heiht so ALL AK .223 mags can be used:

med_gallery_108_110_76888.jpg

Here's the matching depth/height of the modified S-.223 trunion lugs:

gallery_108_110_296760.jpg

Edited by inparidel
As a general rule, the front 'LUG' on the Olite mags needs to me added onto (i.e., made thicker). That makes the thining and raising of the feed lip angle minimal. Any god Saiga .223 conversion results i a slight filing down of the mag catch surface. IF you have dne this, as well as added the bullet guide (rega,rdless of type), you can shoot ANY .223 AK mag, so long as you reduce the trunion lugs to stock size. Otherwise, you will have to do the front of the mag "cutout," which makes the mag S-.223 exclusive. Your SAR 3 and other .223 AKs are out of luck with that mag (more or less due to the sloppy fit). My S-.223 has internal "dimples" I made rom sections of an HK G3/91. That's why I need to thin out the vertical ribs to avoid the squishing of the mag top and feed problems.

LOL, you still at that crap, damn.

If you have the means to do things the way this Gentleman suggests (he can provide the info/links), it sounds like you can use any 5.56 AK mag in the world, in your own converted Saiga. Check out what he has to say - the ability to use any .223 mag in the world can not be argued with.

On the other hand, I did not go that direction myself, so I can not vouch personnally for the procedure in question. And I'm not saying that I'm not happy with my own work. In fact, I would grab one of my own FALs, AKs, or ARs, ahead of anyone else's build, any time, any place, under any circumstance.

(That's the ultimate advantage of building your own - you build it, you know it, you can bet your life on it! ;>)

Listen and learn...

Here's the factory chamber grind on the SAR 3:

gallery_108_110_465892.jpg

Here's the copy of that grind "ramp" on my S-.223"

gallery_108_110_273051.jpg

Here's the factory trunion lug depth/height so ALL AK .223 mags can be used:

med_gallery_108_110_76888.jpg

Here's the matching depth/height of the modified S-.223 trunion lugs:

gallery_108_110_296760.jpg

Edited by inparidel

FWIW, most folks add a bullet guide, and modify the mags (if necessary), rather than machine the trunnion.

The reasons are:

1) The old WECSOG 'rule of thumb' - "always modify the cheaper part;"

2) Most guys can add their own bullet guide (& modify their own mags, if needed), so it's cheaper for most folks; and

3) Most guys can add their own bullet guide (& modify their own mags, if needed), so it's more satisfying for most folks - if you're converting a Saiga, odds are you like doing your own work.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, Comrade Speaker Pelosi may ban (or confiscate) your Saiga, etc., etc., etc...