Anyone use Galil mags?

Yes I do, there's a link in my signature line as well as a post at the top of the for-sale section.

Pics, prices, instructions as well as a tip sheet for modifying 223 mags and what mags I've has success with.

Holy crap Saigas are hard metal don't ask.Okay 2 broken #21 bits later. This was before I used a 5/32 step up colbalt.

Let me say this. Dinzag Great bullet guide, flat .223. I have some advise people adding Dinzag guide and 10-32 screw. First drill with a tiny colbalt bit like the one in the full kit I think it is 3/32. This is important next drill a bigger bit I went with 5/32 bit colbalt. The 5/32 is just a hair slimmer then the #21 drill bit. Then go with a #21 tap bit. Then Tap with a 10/32 tap. I went with a Irwin 10/32 tap and Irwin bit set. The both sold together $5 at Home Depot. Then Tap away. Go slow and oil with wd-40.

Colbalt makes the saiga look like thin tin metal. Love the Rigid brand Colbalt bits from the Home depot I hate the brand in the red and black package. I broke like 3 of those colbalt bits on other projects. I wasn't even drilling a Saiga and those crappy bits broke! Those are the worst colbalt bits ever. :chris: Go with the Rigid Brand Colbalt White and Orange package bits. :smoke:

The Dinzag flat .223 Guide works great with the galils, plastic. 36 Rounds no problem. I would have shot more but the Cross-Roads gun show is saturday@SouthTown Center near SlC Utah. 1/20/07 I don't have any more non ss109s I wanted to part with. :angel: I'm saving the ss109s for a rainy day. :unsure:

So in short great guide. Drill with 3/32 Colbalt then 5/32 Cobalt then #21drill bit, Then Tap with 10/32 tap. Mod the Plastic and away you go. Mod away! :killer:

By the way Dinzag I was impressed that guide was steel so you know it will last. Also fast shipping most impressive. Good work. Dinzag!

Holy crap Saigas are hard metal don't ask.

I'll give you an 'AMEN' to that regarding (at least) the barrel steel - that's the toughest barrel steel I ever threaded for a muzzle device (including other foreign military rifles, and US-manufactured commercial products).

I will say that the 'full house' bullet guide kit (including bits, etc.) that I bought from dinzag didn't have any problem with my Saiga receiver. 100% no problemo. Thanks again, dinzag!

;>)

On the 2 saiga conversions I have done, they both use AK74 2-rivet guides.

Both of the trunions were modified to accept UNMODIFIED 5.56 bulgy/Polish magazines.

Some of you only have 1 5.56 AK so it doesn't matter if you modify the magazine.

Also I have 50 or 60 5.56 Polish/Bulgarian 5.56 mags. More chance of screwing up atleast 1 mag when converting them.

I have several 5.56 AK's.

I have a SAM-5 which uses the unmodified Bulgy/Polish mags.

I have a SAR-3 that uses ALL 5.56 mags. I haven't found a 5.56 AK mag that didn't work with it.

I had to modify the center support rivet so that some of the mags would clear.

I am working on a Galil now. It will take only Gaili mags or M16 mags with the adaptor.

Yes I do, there's a link in my signature line as well as a post at the top of the for-sale section.

Pics, prices, instructions as well as a tip sheet for modifying 223 mags and what mags I've has success with.

Holy crap Saigas are hard metal don't ask.Okay 2 broken #21 bits later. This was before I used a 5/32 step up colbalt.

Let me say this. Dinzag Great bullet guide, flat .223. I have some advise people adding Dinzag guide and 10-32 screw. First drill with a tiny colbalt bit like the one in the full kit I think it is 3/32. This is important next drill a bigger bit I went with 5/32 bit colbalt. The 5/32 is just a hair slimmer then the #21 drill bit. Then go with a #21 tap bit. Then Tap with a 10/32 tap. I went with a Irwin 10/32 tap and Irwin bit set. The both sold together $5 at Home Depot. Then Tap away. Go slow and oil with wd-40.

Colbalt makes the saiga look like thin tin metal. Love the Rigid brand Colbalt bits from the Home depot I hate the brand in the red and black package. I broke like 3 of those colbalt bits on other projects. I wasn't even drilling a Saiga and those crappy bits broke! Those are the worst colbalt bits ever. :chris: Go with the Rigid Brand Colbalt White and Orange package bits. :smoke:

The Dinzag flat .223 Guide works great with the galils, plastic. 36 Rounds no problem. I would have shot more but the Cross-Roads gun show is saturday@SouthTown Center near SlC Utah. 1/20/07 I don't have any more non ss109s I wanted to part with. :angel: I'm saving the ss109s for a rainy day. :unsure:

So in short great guide. Drill with 3/32 Colbalt then 5/32 Cobalt then #21drill bit, Then Tap with 10/32 tap. Mod the Plastic and away you go. Mod away! :killer:

By the way Dinzag I was impressed that guide was steel so you know it will last. Also fast shipping most impressive. Good work. Dinzag!

Hey bro,

The #21 bit just broke? Usually if it lets the smoke out it might, but usually the pilot hole alleviates that. I hadn't heard of that before. I can look into supplying #21 cobalts down the road if that becomes an issue. They're just a lot more expensive. Thanks for the heads up :up:

On the 2 saiga conversions I have done, they both use AK74 2-rivet guides.

Both of the trunions were modified to accept UNMODIFIED 5.56 bulgy/Polish magazines.

Some of you only have 1 5.56 AK so it doesn't matter if you modify the magazine.

Also I have 50 or 60 5.56 Polish/Bulgarian 5.56 mags. More chance of screwing up atleast 1 mag when converting them.

I have several 5.56 AK's.

I have a SAM-5 which uses the unmodified Bulgy/Polish mags.

I have a SAR-3 that uses ALL 5.56 mags. I haven't found a 5.56 AK mag that didn't work with it.

I had to modify the center support rivet so that some of the mags would clear.

I am working on a Galil now. It will take only Gaili mags or M16 mags with the adaptor.

yes you right when comes to more than one AK in .223 like you have

is worth to work the mag well to take mag with out mod to fit it, but when it comes

to a lot of the guys on the forum, with just one Saiga and probably the only

.223 and really no gunsmith tool and with budget don't really pay to go

to expense to rework the mag well or pay some one to do it.

The least effort and cheap priced mags were found on the orlite galil, and easy

to mod any other mag I guess is the way to go for the first time

or one time gun owner.

Some guys talk a lot of shit but they dont even do there own gunsmith

send the stuff out to be done and have the balls to tell regular JOE to

do what they pay a lot of money to be done on there guns I hate that people

because talk the talk, but when is time to walk the walk they

are just full of shit.

And not I am not referring to you at all, about talk the talk and walk the walk.

Any way I think some one some were have few ak-101 mags how they got them who knows

but will love to look at them even on pics and how they fit on the mag well of a regular

Saiga .223.

And when comes to drill metal, do it on low revolutions on the drill in few

in slow speed, more torque than speed, some oil and that is the way to go

don't burn the bit thats when problems come to be, even transmission

fluid cools really good bits is cheap and plenty in many stores

but nothing like a good cutting oil to get it done easy when comes

to small projects like a drill true a trunnion for a guide, just few drops

and slow hand will get it done.

Just my 2 cents worth of bull you know what.

Edited by vjor
...I do know that the rear catch on the orlites needs to be built up just a bit to keep them from moving. I'm working on getting the needed parts so I'll be in compliance with the regs...

Actually, you don't need to "build up" the mag catch, if you don't want to. The standard conversion cookbook...

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_5.htm

...suggests that you shorten the front trigger guard 'tang.' If you know you are going to be using only, or mostly, Galil Orlites (like yours truly - I bought more than I'll ever need when they were $5 each ;>), you can leave the front trigger guard tang 'long,' which allows the 'tang' to function as a 'filler' between the mag catch & the bottom of the receiver. In other words, you can make the Orlites fit 'rock solid,' by adjusting the fit - either by filing the 'tang' for thickness (which I did, & recommend ;>), or by filing the mag catch on each mag (which I also did, because I screwed up, on some of my '06' marked mags - which apparently have thicker mag catches than the 03 or 04 marked Orlites ;>).

Works great if you want to go that way. Obviously, 'YMMV, caveat emptor, offer not valid where prohibited, etc., etc.'

The best part - if you change your mind, all you have to do is remove the trigger guard (2 bolts) & shorten the 'tang,' as per the excellent Saiga 'cookbook' instructions, and you're ready to swap over to Bulgy mags, Weigers, or even Nancy-Pelosi's-custom-made-politically-correct-Saiga-mags-for-law-abiding-American-gunowners (1 round capacity? Or more likely, ZERO round capacity, with room only for a folded-up copy of the government-approved lirics to 'Kumbaya'... ;>)

(I was stuck living - if you can call it that - in Kalifornia for more years than I want to remember, so 'ask me how I know' about Comrade Speaker Pelosi... )

FWIW...

Hey Bob,

First, sorry about being so late in replying to your post. Things have been a bit hectic at my end for the last week or so.

I checked out the markings on my mags, & both have an "02" on them. For some reason, they seem to be fitting a bit tighter now, so I won't have to do any more mods to them. I did have to apply a bit of silicone grease to the inside of the body & the follower. It got difficult to load all 35 rounds before I lubed things, now they both load with no problems.

I'll not go into what I think of Madame Comrade Speaker "Lugosi" (wait, that's an insult to Bela) as I don't want to loose my lunch.