Stock Options?

Hi,

New on the board and I was after some advice. (Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but a search didn't find anything)

I have just taken posession of the below Saiga-M (mmm.. factory oil smell) and I would like to know what options I have for stocks since the receiver has a 45 degree chunk taken out of it. I'm limited (legally) to what I can do in New Zealand to the rifle, but new furniture would be first.

Thanks for any tips - PP

post-4896-1167896465_thumb.jpg

We can't get those over here because of our lame import laws. I'm putting a stock just like that on my .308 Saiga and it's off a .308 Vepr. I'm having to cut my receiver for it to fit.

Sounds to me like your choices are very limited unless you weld a bottom corner onto your receiver. Dinzag did that to the Vepr he sold me that furniture off of so he could use regular AK furniture. PM him and he can show you pics.

That's a great looking Saiga!

I say add a flash hider and a decent scope, then call it a day.

Anyways, if you are willing to do a little searching for the right stock, these should give you a good place to start looking for ideas:

Stock option #1

Stock option #2

Stock option #3

B)

Edited by hellgrün-K

The wood is nice but I'm more of a black plastic sort of guy. A Dragunov might fit, depending on where its anchored. The current wooden stock is bolted at the top of the receiver and through the pistol grip. Some interesting options above though!

I forgot to mention the butchered 5 round magazine that it shipped with. Looks like it has been cut in half and had the baseplate riveted on.

Sporting rifles in NZ are limited to 5 rounds, also no PGs, flash surpressors, bayonet lugs or folding stocks. -PP

post-4896-1168028232_thumb.jpg

Edited by Polymer Proselyte
I forgot to mention the butchered 5 round magazine that it shipped with. Looks like it has been cut in half and had the baseplate riveted on.

post-4896-1168028232_thumb.jpg

You're right about the mag - that looks pretty sad...

Other than that, though, the rifle looks very nice. Someone here put together a really nice looking 'mini-SVD' with similar furniture, which has me thinking about a .223 with a 20" barrel. Also, there's one thing about wood that plastic usually can't match: because it's solid (more or less), you have the option of modifying the shape.

FWIW, I've gone back-and-forth on wood vs black plastic furniture. For example, I still think the best looking FALs in the entire world are the Israeli FALs / FALOs with their wood furniture. However, my favorite FAL (the only one I kept, not being wealthy) ended up with plastic furniture - including a wonderful 8-slot handguard from NZ (thank you, Kiwis! ;>)...

FWIW, I've gone back-and-forth on wood vs black plastic furniture. For example, I still think the best looking FALs in the entire world are the Israeli FALs / FALOs with their wood furniture. However, my favorite FAL (the only one I kept, not being wealthy) ended up with plastic furniture - including a wonderful 8-slot handguard from NZ (thank you, Kiwis! ;>)...

The FALs (or SLRs as we know them as) are popular here, and there are still a few being traded. If your ever after advice or parts try this forum

IMAS there are a lot of SLR collectors/shooters posting there.

But back to the wooden stocks, the more I shoot it the I think I should keep it standard. It's a very comfortable stock. I was hoping the mag would just have a block in it to restrict capacity, but no it's been hacked in half.

Thanks! Well I have this lil 7.62x39 I'm toying around with some ideas on...

Just put this stock on it today. I'm gonna mill it out a little more so it will clear a 30 rdr but the tanker mags work just fine.

post-1293-1168212201_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1168212338_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1168212382_thumb.jpg

Just put this stock on it today. I'm gonna mill it out a little more so it will clear a 30 rdr but the tanker mags work just fine.

No kidding! It's looking sweet, bud. Something about underfolders and Rom side folders... they look so badass and utilitarian. Who needs comfort? B)

Where would you recommend buying the AK-style handguard set, like yours, preferably with gas tube? Any good deals on those you know of?

I'm always keeping my out for a used pair when someone upgrades to wood. K Var has em though. You can get the cheesy ones from Joeken or whatever they're called now for less. They're ok but not as cool as the K Var ones.

Love the grain on that wood stock!

ACE make a receiver block for the VEPR, from what I can find out the VEPRs are milled so I don't suppose they'd fit a 223 without modification.

Would this be another solution?

post-4896-1168370839.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot about those! That would be an excellent option. The wood Vepr stock I used fit perfectly inside the .308 receiver so that should work without modification. You could email Bob Weir at Ace and ask him for an exact width measurement just to be sure. Worse case you would just have to take away a slight amount of mtrl. on each side and at the bottom to make up for the thicker milled receiver.

Hmm...

Not too cool with removing the tang, as is required with this block. It would be nice to have something that didn't require a perminant modification.

Maybe I just have to wait for a .223 in black synthetics to get sold in NZ.

I'm always keeping my out for a used pair when someone upgrades to wood. K Var has em though. You can get the cheesy ones from Joeken or whatever they're called now for less. They're ok but not as cool as the K Var ones.

Hello, Cobra

Would you recommend the US made ones from K-Var? They look better than the Romy or Bulgy ones, not to mention that the US ones are in-stock at the moment...

US made AK-74 models, perhaps?

TIA for your advice...

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

hey Cobra 76 two how did that underfolder turn out did you mill it so it would clear that 30rd mag. That is the same idea I have for when i convert my saiga 223 rifle looks good . :smoke: