Converting AK-47 magazine to fit Saiga 7.62X39

I have an unconverted stock 7.62X39 Saiga I bought two years ago.

It came with 5 and 10 rds mags.

So yes I would like to modify a stock AK 30 rd magazine to work in my unconverted Saiga.

Do I have to modify anything on the rifle itself. If not what I have to do with AK mag to work

in my Saiga. Pics will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I have an unconverted stock 7.62X39 Saiga I bought two years ago.

It came with 5 and 10 rds mags.

So yes I would like to modify a stock AK 30 rd magazine to work in my unconverted Saiga.

Do I have to modify anything on the rifle itself. If not what I have to do with AK mag to work

in my Saiga. Pics will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you are in the US you will need to do a conversion to comply with 922r in order to legally use hi-cap mags. If not, just a bullet feed ramp and either shaving the mag catch or modifying the mags slightly, depending on what kind they are.

I am in the USA.

Since I need to do a conversion, what I have to do to comply with 922r in order to legally use hi-cap mags.

Where can I buy a bullet feed ramps after the conversion is done.

Any pics how to do all of this including shaving the mag catch or modifying the mags.

Thank you all.

I am in the USA.

Since I need to do a conversion, what I have to do to comply with 922r in order to legally use hi-cap mags.

Where can I buy a bullet feed ramps after the conversion is done.

Any pics how to do all of this including shaving the mag catch or modifying the mags.

Thank you all.

Good conversion tutorial: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

Dinzag's bullet guides: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry110152

Can't find a link for the mags right now. Maybe someone else knows of a quick reference for you on that aspect.

I's a lot easier to file the Saiga's mag ctch than to dinker with each mag on an individual basis.

Any instructions/pics how much to file the Saiga's mag catch?

Can you still use the original Saiga mags?

Thanks.

The times I've seen and/or done it, you play it by ear, taking off a fraction of a millimeter at a time until the mag fits. Total amount is not that much really. The factory mags will still work. I had access to a milling machine with cobalt bits but don't think you would need that elaborate of a setup to get it done. Just shave off enough until the mag clicks and locks in.

Edited by tritium

small ratail file, mags (if you have NLFD use them since the european ones have larger tabs than the stick mags)

file for a bit, check the mag by inserting, don't force it in there because to get it out is a bitch (which you'll have to do to file the catch down some more)

I's a lot easier to file the Saiga's mag ctch than to dinker with each mag on an individual basis.

Any instructions/pics how much to file the Saiga's mag catch?

Can you still use the original Saiga mags?

Thanks.

good info. i always wondered how it was done. fit and file cool. i agree it would be senseless to file every mag. then they won't work with other rifles and would lower the value of the mag also.

If all you do it covert the feed ramp and mag catch to take AK mags you are in violation of the import parts law. This is really, really serious because it is well known that the Import Parts Police (IPP) and Federal Ramp Inspectors (FRI) are likely to raid your home and terrorise your family at any time. Further more, all police, federal agents go to school to learn the details of the import parts law.

Heck, just the other day, I was stopped by a state trooper and when he walked up I asked him if he wanted to inspect and count the number of US parts in my Saiga. I also showed him the list of US parts and sales receipts, and video tape of all US transactions to prove they were US made. He said "Sheeet, boy, you paid more for them dag burn parts than you did for that Rusky rifle." When he stopped laughing he let me go with a warning, but his look said, "don't take the import parts law lightly."

I know I am on someone's imported parts list somewhere, so I have to be doubly careful.

0acded89.bmp

Edited by mac66
If all you do it covert the feed ramp and mag catch to take AK mags you are in violation of the import parts law. This is really, really serious because it is well known that the Import Parts Police (IPP) and Federal Ramp Inspectors (FRI) are likely to raid your home and terrorise your family at any time. Further more, all police, federal agents go to school to learn the details of the import parts law.

Heck, just the other day, I was stopped by a state trooper and when he walked up I asked him if he wanted to inspect and count the number of US parts in my Saiga. I also showed him the list of US parts and sales receipts, and video tape of all US transactions to prove they were US made. He said "Sheeet, boy, you paid more for them dag burn parts than you did for that Rusky rifle." When he stopped laughing he let me go with a warning, but his look said, "don't take the import parts law lightly."

I know I am on someone's imported parts list somewhere, so I have to be doubly careful.

0acded89.bmp

A local enforcment officer actually knew about 922r?

0acded89.bmp

He is being sarcastic...............and a smartass to boot..........

0acded89.bmp

No he is just afraid to do a conversion, thats all.

• Like 1

0acded89.bmp

No he is just afraid to do a conversion, thats all.

And I thought I was trying to be facetious.

And I thought I was trying to be facetious.

I'm not going to shake my finger at you and tell you not to break the law. Rather, I'll tip my hat and say "More power to ya!". People that willfully ignore 922R have my respect, and no I'm not being sarcastic. We need more people to challenge the status quo and if you are one of those people willing to risk their 2nd ammedment rights to stand on principle, then you have my thanks.

However, please don't come in our threads, thumb your nose at everyone and make fun of those that choose to remain compliant with the law. We are all in agreement that the law is stupid and unconstitutional, but many of us are not willing to take that chance, however small of a chance it may be. We don't believe that there are ATF agents hiding out in the bushes (yet), but who knows what next year will bring.

None of us here are trying to enforce 922R, but we do want people to know about it so they can make an informed decision whether or not to comply with it. New people show up here everyday asking about that godawful russian folding stock or post pics of their stock Saigas with high cap mags. I think if we didn't tell them about 922R, we would be doing them a disservice.

/rant

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I think your both funny.lol I don't think anybody is serious or they would have answered the question. I think Kurbra wants some pictures. So get to it you two and add I just got a Saiga and I have the same problem, I want to put the Tapco Olive green magazine to match my furniture. Can you get a Tapco mag to fit to?

I think your both funny.lol I don't think anybody is serious or they would have answered the question. I think Kurbra wants some pictures. So get to it you two and add I just got a Saiga and I have the same problem, I want to put the Tapco Olive green magazine to match my furniture. Can you get a Tapco mag to fit to?

Dude, did you notice this was a 2 year old thread?

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...