- - - - -

Converting AK-47 magazine to fit Saiga 7.62X39

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kubura

kubura

• 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

Is there a link with pics that shows how to do conversion?

Thanks

#2 scoutjoe

scoutjoe

The village idiot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:30 PM

Is there a link with pics that shows how to do conversion?

Thanks

depends you planning on making a stock AK mag go into a stock Saiga x39?
"Additionally, I refuse to date a girl if she doesn't know how to proficiently load, unload, and operate any of my weapons"~AegisDei

"Tony has a credibility in the gun industry that bullshit cannot tarnish"~BobAsh

From the Skippy List
87. If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.

Gun owner in PA? You need to check this out http://www.pafoa.org/

#3 kubura

kubura

• 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

I have an unconverted stock 7.62X39 Saiga I bought two years ago.
It came with 5 and 10 rds mags.
So yes I would like to modify a stock AK 30 rd magazine to work in my unconverted Saiga.
Do I have to modify anything on the rifle itself. If not what I have to do with AK mag to work
in my Saiga. Pics will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#4 tritium

tritium

Top Member

• Super Moderator
  • 6,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

I have an unconverted stock 7.62X39 Saiga I bought two years ago.
It came with 5 and 10 rds mags.
So yes I would like to modify a stock AK 30 rd magazine to work in my unconverted Saiga.
Do I have to modify anything on the rifle itself. If not what I have to do with AK mag to work
in my Saiga. Pics will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you are in the US you will need to do a conversion to comply with 922r in order to legally use hi-cap mags. If not, just a bullet feed ramp and either shaving the mag catch or modifying the mags slightly, depending on what kind they are.
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
- Sigmund Freud (or not)
The indiscriminate use of vulgar language is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate motherf**ker.
-Anonymous
Complexity is easy; simplicity is difficult.
-Georgy Shpagin, mentor to M. Kalashnikov
Peace is that brief, glorious, quiet moment in history when everybody is standing around reloading.
-Anonymous

"Yes, Officer, I was trying to burn my house down.... Why do you ask ?"

#5 kubura

kubura

• 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

I am in the USA.

Since I need to do a conversion, what I have to do to comply with 922r in order to legally use hi-cap mags.

Where can I buy a bullet feed ramps after the conversion is done.

Any pics how to do all of this including shaving the mag catch or modifying the mags.

Thank you all.

#6 tritium

tritium

Top Member

• Super Moderator
  • 6,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

I am in the USA.

Since I need to do a conversion, what I have to do to comply with 922r in order to legally use hi-cap mags.

Where can I buy a bullet feed ramps after the conversion is done.

Any pics how to do all of this including shaving the mag catch or modifying the mags.

Thank you all.

Good conversion tutorial: http://www.cross-con...iga_Conversion/
Dinzag's bullet guides: http://forum.saiga-1...mp;#entry110152

Can't find a link for the mags right now. Maybe someone else knows of a quick reference for you on that aspect.
- Sigmund Freud (or not)
The indiscriminate use of vulgar language is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate motherf**ker.
-Anonymous
Peace is that brief, glorious, quiet moment in history when everybody is standing around reloading.
-Anonymous

#7 BlenderWizard

BlenderWizard

What will come out no more?

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

I's a lot easier to file the Saiga's mag ctch than to dinker with each mag on an individual basis.

The greatwater turkey sells rowboats in the cratered fields of Verdun

you and girl frend shou go dies a good det her is hourth go die

#8 kubura

kubura

• 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

I's a lot easier to file the Saiga's mag ctch than to dinker with each mag on an individual basis.

Any instructions/pics how much to file the Saiga's mag catch?
Can you still use the original Saiga mags?

Thanks.

#9 tritium

tritium

Top Member

• Super Moderator
  • 6,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

Thanks.

The times I've seen and/or done it, you play it by ear, taking off a fraction of a millimeter at a time until the mag fits. Total amount is not that much really. The factory mags will still work. I had access to a milling machine with cobalt bits but don't think you would need that elaborate of a setup to get it done. Just shave off enough until the mag clicks and locks in.

Edited by tritium, 04 January 2007 - 11:22 PM.

- Sigmund Freud (or not)
-Anonymous
-Anonymous

#10 scoutjoe

scoutjoe

The village idiot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

small ratail file, mags (if you have NLFD use them since the european ones have larger tabs than the stick mags)

file for a bit, check the mag by inserting, don't force it in there because to get it out is a bitch (which you'll have to do to file the catch down some more)
"Additionally, I refuse to date a girl if she doesn't know how to proficiently load, unload, and operate any of my weapons"~AegisDei

"Tony has a credibility in the gun industry that bullshit cannot tarnish"~BobAsh

From the Skippy List
87. If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.

#11 qbertquartz2

qbertquartz2

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:16 AM

Thanks.

good info. i always wondered how it was done. fit and file cool. i agree it would be senseless to file every mag. then they won't work with other rifles and would lower the value of the mag also.

#12 mac66

mac66

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

If all you do it covert the feed ramp and mag catch to take AK mags you are in violation of the import parts law. This is really, really serious because it is well known that the Import Parts Police (IPP) and Federal Ramp Inspectors (FRI) are likely to raid your home and terrorise your family at any time. Further more, all police, federal agents go to school to learn the details of the import parts law.

Heck, just the other day, I was stopped by a state trooper and when he walked up I asked him if he wanted to inspect and count the number of US parts in my Saiga. I also showed him the list of US parts and sales receipts, and video tape of all US transactions to prove they were US made. He said "Sheeet, boy, you paid more for them dag burn parts than you did for that Rusky rifle." When he stopped laughing he let me go with a warning, but his look said, "don't take the import parts law lightly."

I know I am on someone's imported parts list somewhere, so I have to be doubly careful.

Posted Image

Edited by mac66, 17 January 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#13 scoutjoe

scoutjoe

The village idiot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

If all you do it covert the feed ramp and mag catch to take AK mags you are in violation of the import parts law. This is really, really serious because it is well known that the Import Parts Police (IPP) and Federal Ramp Inspectors (FRI) are likely to raid your home and terrorise your family at any time. Further more, all police, federal agents go to school to learn the details of the import parts law.

Heck, just the other day, I was stopped by a state trooper and when he walked up I asked him if he wanted to inspect and count the number of US parts in my Saiga. I also showed him the list of US parts and sales receipts, and video tape of all US transactions to prove they were US made. He said "Sheeet, boy, you paid more for them dag burn parts than you did for that Rusky rifle." When he stopped laughing he let me go with a warning, but his look said, "don't take the import parts law lightly."

I know I am on someone's imported parts list somewhere, so I have to be doubly careful.

Posted Image

A local enforcment officer actually knew about 922r?

From the Skippy List

#14 Vermiform

Vermiform

Recovering Democrat

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

Posted Image

He is being sarcastic...............and a smartass to boot..........
"She is a hot, sexy little Russian that someone dressed up like a librarian. Strip those clothes off of her and let her hair down. She deserves to be a saucey, hotblooded Russian AK. When you shoot her, don't baby her. You can be rough with her, she likes it!"

#15 vjor

vjor

DEUS EX MACHINA

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image

No he is just afraid to do a conversion, thats all.
  • cheeseybacon likes this
Some people say I'm a grumpy, mean, old man.
That's not true.
I have the heart of a kind and gentle soul...
in a jar on my desk.

No man is a match for a woman's tears.
When in need! Use and RPG……

If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted.

I don't care what people say as long as I get what I want.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

"One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
—George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia, 1938

I CAN HAVE THE WEAPON I REALLY ALWAYS WANTED !!!! I DO IT MY SELF,
WHY!!!!!! BECAUSE I CAN, CAN YOU?????

Posted Image

#16 mac66

mac66

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

Posted Image

No he is just afraid to do a conversion, thats all.

And I thought I was trying to be facetious.

#17 BlenderWizard

BlenderWizard

What will come out no more?

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

You're being unneccessarily flippant with a law that could be used to burn your ass.

It's your choice, but I'd rather not take any risks.

You have heard of Ruby Ridge, right?

The greatwater turkey sells rowboats in the cratered fields of Verdun

you and girl frend shou go dies a good det her is hourth go die

#18 Vermiform

Vermiform

Recovering Democrat

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:17 AM

I'm not going to shake my finger at you and tell you not to break the law. Rather, I'll tip my hat and say "More power to ya!". People that willfully ignore 922R have my respect, and no I'm not being sarcastic. We need more people to challenge the status quo and if you are one of those people willing to risk their 2nd ammedment rights to stand on principle, then you have my thanks.

However, please don't come in our threads, thumb your nose at everyone and make fun of those that choose to remain compliant with the law. We are all in agreement that the law is stupid and unconstitutional, but many of us are not willing to take that chance, however small of a chance it may be. We don't believe that there are ATF agents hiding out in the bushes (yet), but who knows what next year will bring.

None of us here are trying to enforce 922R, but we do want people to know about it so they can make an informed decision whether or not to comply with it. New people show up here everyday asking about that godawful russian folding stock or post pics of their stock Saigas with high cap mags. I think if we didn't tell them about 922R, we would be doing them a disservice.

/rant
  • THE RIPPER likes this
"She is a hot, sexy little Russian that someone dressed up like a librarian. Strip those clothes off of her and let her hair down. She deserves to be a saucey, hotblooded Russian AK. When you shoot her, don't baby her. You can be rough with her, she likes it!"

#19 mac66

mac66

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

Lighten up Francis. I just wrote that tonge in cheek.

#20 Vermiform

Vermiform

Recovering Democrat

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

Lighten up Francis. I just wrote that tonge in cheek.

Hehehehe

From STRIPES:
"Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you."

#21 hangemhigh2000

hangemhigh2000

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

I think your both funny.lol I don't think anybody is serious or they would have answered the question. I think Kurbra wants some pictures. So get to it you two and add I just got a Saiga and I have the same problem, I want to put the Tapco Olive green magazine to match my furniture. Can you get a Tapco mag to fit to?

#22 nalioth

nalioth

Citizen Soldier

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

I think your both funny.lol I don't think anybody is serious or they would have answered the question. I think Kurbra wants some pictures. So get to it you two and add I just got a Saiga and I have the same problem, I want to put the Tapco Olive green magazine to match my furniture. Can you get a Tapco mag to fit to?

Dude, did you notice this was a 2 year old thread?

Posted Image
"Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

#23 hangemhigh2000

hangemhigh2000

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

the

Edited by hangemhigh2000, 08 April 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#24 motoguy

motoguy

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

Dude, did you notice this was a 2 year old thread?

Maybe so, but that conversion link was helpful to me! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users