Saiga .308 Accuracy Improvement Methods

I think the product is a good one. David Tubb is a fantastic competitive shooter. I think it is intended for new stainless or chrome moly barrels that are a little rough or to speed break in, not for chrome lined bores such as the Saiga.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Don

I agree with ironhead. If you're not already hand-loading ammo, get some reloading equipment and give it a try. You'll be amazed at how much better carefully loaded ammo will shoot over production surplus ammo.

I still can't get over the difference in my groups when I load my own. And I'm not very experienced at reloading.

I agree with ironhead. If you're not already hand-loading ammo, get some reloading equipment and give it a try. You'll be amazed at how much better carefully loaded ammo will shoot over production surplus ammo.

I still can't get over the difference in my groups when I load my own. And I'm not very experienced at reloading.

What is your Saiga grouping with handloads? What is a good set up for reloading .308 and .223 - on a budget. How much and where to buy. Thanks.

What is your Saiga grouping with handloads? What is a good set up for reloading .308 and .223 - on a budget. How much and where to buy. Thanks.

Using surplus I average 4-5 moa. With handloads it drops into 3-4 moa. This is prone shooting, no bench or bipod.

I don't suddenly shoot better with handloads, I'm still a lousy shot, but the handloads are more consistent from one round to the next, so there are fewer flyers. I hate it when I call the shot and it didn't go where I know I put it.

I got myself a Lee Anniversary kit about a year and a half ago to start loading my pistol ammo. Since I got into shooting a lot more with my pistols, I got a Lee Loadmaster progressive press. The Loadmaster leaves a lot to be desired. I'll probably step up to a Dillon later this year for progressive loading.

But the Lee Challenger press still works very well for rifle, which I prefer loading on a single stage press.

You'll need a press, decapping/resizing die, shellholder, case trimmer, primer tool, powder measure, and seating/crimping die.

I learned the hard way that your shell holders need to be the same brand as your resizing dies. I use RCBS dies, and was unable to get my .308 ammo to work with the Lee shellholder. It wouldn't go into battery. Switching to the RCBS shellholder, though only slightly different, was enough to allow it to go into battery on my Saiga.

Your best bet, if you want to get into handloading, is to get some reloading manuals and read them. Then read them again. I recommend Speer and Lyman reloading manuals. They give you a lot of good information. Get others if you can afford it. Each one will have some useful information that you won't find in the others. One alone will be enough to get you started.

If I could have only one manual, it would be the Speer.

The Lee Anniversary Kit is sold either with or without Lee's "Modern Reloading" manual. I got mine with the kit and it's a good one, though it often seems like a running advertisement for Lee's products.

Shop prices online at Midwayusa, Natchezss, Cabelas, and other suppliers.

Using surplus I average 4-5 moa. With handloads it drops into 3-4 moa. This is prone shooting, no bench or bipod.

I don't suddenly shoot better with handloads, I'm still a lousy shot, but the handloads are more consistent from one round to the next, so there are fewer flyers. I hate it when I call the shot and it didn't go where I know I put it.

I got myself a Lee Anniversary kit about a year and a half ago to start loading my pistol ammo. Since I got into shooting a lot more with my pistols, I got a Lee Loadmaster progressive press. The Loadmaster leaves a lot to be desired. I'll probably step up to a Dillon later this year for progressive loading.

But the Lee Challenger press still works very well for rifle, which I prefer loading on a single stage press.

You'll need a press, decapping/resizing die, shellholder, case trimmer, primer tool, powder measure, and seating/crimping die.

I learned the hard way that your shell holders need to be the same brand as your resizing dies. I use RCBS dies, and was unable to get my .308 ammo to work with the Lee shellholder. It wouldn't go into battery. Switching to the RCBS shellholder, though only slightly different, was enough to allow it to go into battery on my Saiga.

Your best bet, if you want to get into handloading, is to get some reloading manuals and read them. Then read them again. I recommend Speer and Lyman reloading manuals. They give you a lot of good information. Get others if you can afford it. Each one will have some useful information that you won't find in the others. One alone will be enough to get you started.

If I could have only one manual, it would be the Speer.

The Lee Anniversary Kit is sold either with or without Lee's "Modern Reloading" manual. I got mine with the kit and it's a good one, though it often seems like a running advertisement for Lee's products.

Shop prices online at Midwayusa, Natchezss, Cabelas, and other suppliers.

THANKS LAZLONG!