Tapco stock question

If I install a Tapco retractable stock and pistol grip on my 308 with out changing any other parts, and not intending to use any mag other that the Saiga mags, is this legal?

Not from what I've read here and on other forums. The addition of a pistol grip (or pretty much any modification that changes the original design of the weapon) causes the weapon to lose it's "sporting" label, thus making it need to comply w/ 922r.

I was wondering if the 922r only came into effect with Hi cap mags, since it sometimes seems that is the main reason to do a conversion.

The issue is "Sporting". There are several things that can cause a weapon to loose that label. A PG, hi-cap mags, muzzle device, just to name a few.

If I install a Tapco retractable stock and pistol grip on my 308 with out changing any other parts, and not intending to use any mag other that the Saiga mags, is this legal?

If you put a stock and P-grip on it you're going to have to change FCG parts no matter what. The only part you'd be able to keep is the hammer and what would be the point of that. Buy an RSA adjustable trigger for the VEPR308 and you will be legal and HAPPY.

Any particular reason you want to keep the crappy stock trigger?

I'm sure he is intimidated by actually pulling the guts out of his brand new gun and trying to get new guts back in. He is scared, just like we all were when we first heard about the conversion. Just like many of us he is looking for another solution to 922R, ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL just to keep from having to drill and grind on his brand new rifle. Like the rest of us, he will eventually see the light.

Not picking on you Lesgeaux, we have all been where you are at now. Keep looking at the conversion tutorials, pick out the parts you think you mayhave trouble with and keep re-reading them.