SBS $5 or $200?

Maybe someone will be kind enough to clear up the confusion. If I buy an 8" SBS conversion from Tromix, do I pay the $5 transfer tax, or does it cost me $200, or both? If I supply my own stock S12 for the conversion does that make a difference? Which is cheaper, and about how long does it take? Thanks in advance for the help guys. :smoke:

I'd think the $200 tax stamp cost will be passed on to you one way or another. There was a recent post that Tromix wait time is about 3-4 months. The NFA approval may take longer--just depends on how fast they are moving at the ATF. I sent in a Form 1 almost three months ago for a SBR and they are just getting to it now based on my check clearing. If you supply your own S12 then your total cost will be reduced by the cost of the shotty. Maybe Tony will see your post and you can get the info directly.

Edited by tritium

The transfer for a SBS or SBR is $200 no matter how you slice it. The $5 transfer is on an AOW. Yes there are shotguns included in that group but here is the difference. An AOW is a shotgun that was originally manufactered with a pistol grip only and no shoulder stock. Since the saiga had a shoulder stock at the point of original manufacter then it becomes a SBS even if you were to have a pistol grip only. If you have any other questions just ask!

The transfer for a SBS or SBR is $200 no matter how you slice it. The $5 transfer is on an AOW. Yes there are shotguns included in that group but here is the difference. An AOW is a shotgun that was originally manufactered with a pistol grip only and no shoulder stock. Since the saiga had a shoulder stock at the point of original manufacter then it becomes a SBS even if you were to have a pistol grip only. If you have any other questions just ask!

So either way, the BATFE is gonna get their $200. Figures. So if I order a SBS build from Tony will he do the forms so they will be cooking concurrently with the conversion? Or do I have to do the forms on my end and wait for the BATFE's reply before even ordering from Tony? I want to know how to stay legal, not that I am happy about having to jump through their ridiculous hoops. But I also want to know how to minimize the time consumption. And while we're at it, what would be the difference in applying for the full auto version of the 8" Tromix, and killing all birds with one shot, so to speak? Thnx again for all the help guys. :smoke:

Edited by badman400
And while we're at it, what would be the difference in applying for the full auto version of the 8" Tromix, and killing all birds with one shot, so to speak?

As a regular peon civilian you can't own a newly mfd full auto.

Edited by tritium

So the correct procedure is as follows:

- Hook up with your local Title 2 (a.k.a Class 3) dealer. Transfers from them should range from $50-$150 on average. They should be able to help you out.

- Send your gun off to Tony. He'll do a Form 2 that allows him to manufacture the SBS

- Tony does the work, then does a Form 3 that allows the new SBS to be transferred back to YOUR Title 2 dealer.

- The firearm is shipped to your Title 2 dealer with a copy of this Form 3 paperwork. Dealer calls you saying it's arrived.

- You do a Form 4 and send it (and other paperwork + $200) to the BATFE.

- If there's no issues in about 4 weeks the BATFE will return the stamped Form 4 to your Title 2 dealer.

- They call you, you pick up firearm and paperwork, and pay the dealer their fee for the transfer.

So, you need a:

- Dealer

- Form 4 + other when you get it back.

- Overall with BATFE tax and transfer fee, I've never paid less than $250 for a Title 2/NFA item.

Unless I'm wrong, please correct me.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys! Great forum with lots of knowledgeable folk. :super:

Let me get this right. As a common "peon civilian" I can own a machine gun here in SC, but I can't own a "newly manufactured" one? If it's lawful for me to own one, then why not a beautiful Tromix S12 8" full auto, with Galil handguard and OD green furniture? drool, drool. How old does the gun have to be before us common folk can have it? This all sounds like more ridiculous BATFE crap to me... :rolleyes:

Thnx again for all the quick replies! :smoke:

I guess I'll just send mine to you Tony for the conversion like "osprey21" found here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...13312&st=30

Edited by badman400

And another THING!.... Not everyone has someone who will sign the "cleo" part??? You may want/need to set up a corporation to get a transfer if the LOCALS arn't friendly....(Corporations don't need the "cleo" signature/signoff). (ask someone who had to wait 14 months for the sign-off) and already had NFA stuff. Do it !!!, nothing to fear if you are clean.