new to Saiga, few conversion questions.

OK, first of all I'd like to say AMAZING site, i've learned more in the last couple weeks than I imagined. And thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.

I have been looking for a .410 suitable to "my standards" to use as a deer gun (forget about all the blah blah of using a .410 on deer, I'm using one and that is final). After searching for about every form of .410 available, I stumbled across the Saiga. WOW, love the look, love the concept, love the EVERYTHING. I had to have one. Next week, I will have =) Now, on to the question.

My question is about the 922r stuff (of course). Saiga shotguns, out of the box, without a removable choke, have a parts count of 13. If I want to make it compliant, I can change the FCG (parts count of 3) to get it down to 10 Foreign parts. NOW, if I add a pistol grip, does this make my original Saiga that had a parts count of 13 now have a parts count of 14? Thereby making my FCG "not enough" to make it 922r compliant? or does the pistol grip, being US made, also count as a US part making it 14 parts - 4 (FCG and pistol grip) making 10 foreign parts.

Sorry if i'm confused, never had to be compliant with any of my guns before, just making sure I understand correctly.

I think I am right by understanding that it would be 14 total parts count by adding the pistol grip and the grip itself, being US made, counts as a -1 foreign and that the FCG counts as a -3 foreign and that I would be legal.

Its also late, disregard this if i'm just dumb :P lol.

Thanks in advance :)

and

Glad to be aboard :)

I think I am right by understanding that it would be 14 total parts count by adding the pistol grip and the grip itself, being US made, counts as a -1 foreign and that the FCG counts as a -3 foreign and that I would be legal.

You are correct there! Welcome to the forum.

All the Saiga 410s I've ever sen DO have a removable choke.

The website that i'm ordering it from doesn't say anything about a removable choke. I'll call them tomorrow to confirm. Thanks for the heads up :)

website is gilbertsguns.com, here's the link to the 21.5" saiga .410.

https://www.gilbertsguns.com/store/products...41e265619d923be

edit: If I would have ordered it a week ago, I could have had it for $225 :(

Edited by Jkimes

Yup. To the best of my knowledge, all Saiga .410s come with an attachable/detachable choke whether they call it a 'thread protector' (which I always keep on mine -- except, of course, when cleaning it) or a 'nozzle'.

Gotta agree with Ol' Smokie about the 4-shot mag. Just can't justify to the wife the high cost of one -- let alone two -- high cap mags. Even getting an additional 4-shot mag seems to command $35-$40 each! Now, mind you, this is a wife who said I should go ahead and shorten the shoulder stock, put cooking vents in the handguard, replace the rear sight, get rid of the bead sight/replace it with an AK front sight and even get a muzzle break. Now, how's that for a good wife?

Gotta agree with Ol' Smokie about the 4-shot mag. Just can't justify to the wife the high cost of one -- let alone two -- high cap mags. Even getting an additional 4-shot mag seems to command $35-$40 each! Now, mind you, this is a wife who said I should go ahead and shorten the shoulder stock, put cooking vents in the handguard, replace the rear sight, get rid of the bead sight/replace it with an AK front sight and even get a muzzle break. Now, how's that for a good wife?

Now, did she tell you, or did you ask her? More importantly, did you ask her while she was half-awake? "Should I do all that?" "Hmm? Oh, yes, sure." ;) ;)

Either way, if she puts up with it... sweet.

Its HEEEEEEERE! I love it! haven't even got to shoot the thing yet. I'm tempted to squeeze a few off on the way to work in the morning (only work 8-12, but I gotta go to the bank and then work 2-10 at my part time job :( ). I hope I can find time to squeeze some off soon! my trigger finger is itchin'! I'd shoot it here at the house, but its in town and the older folks in the neighborhood might have a heart attack and die or something. Then I'd get called out for that (on fire department too) !

Bought a box of #4 3" Winchesters as prescribed by James (I hope I remembered that right :bag: )(who had a very very nice S12 converted and modified to the max). He works at the gun shop that I had my gun shipped to, showed me his S12 while I was doing the paperwork, offered to help me with anything I might want to do to mine :up: EXCELLENT! !

I'm thinking scope(on receiver with see through mount if it fits?), raised front sight, muzzle brake, pistol grip, and gotta get another clip and modify it to only hold 2 (3 capacity for shotgun here in Ohio).

Awesome forum, I learn TONS by searching. Excellent conversions, some pretty guns out there. Keep on rockin Saiga!

You can make a disk, or a square of plywood thin enough to fit within the spring... it will act like a plug for a tube fed shotgun, and limit the amount of shells you can insert into the mag.

:smoke:

Or you can order some of my mag limiters made out of galvanized steel. ;)

You go Dave! Get that X 39. You know you want it! You know I already want to cut it up for ya...lol!

• 1 month later...

Good for you!!You're gonna love it. Mine is the 21.5" version as well, but they used to import a 19" too. I've been rabbit hunting with mine since November and can't say enough about it. Its all original configuration except I put a little flo. paint on the front sight bead. I'm not into the conversion stuff much because it serves me just fine in the sporter configuration. I've never had to shoot more than twice at a bunny with it(and there's usually 13-16 beagles chasing them). I'm very pleased with the accuracy and chambering. It has never jammed. I've shot 3" Federals and Remingtons in #4,#5, and #6 shot with gas setting on 1. Its always a great conversation piece when I hunt with guys that don't know me. They think I'm a Russian mercenary or something when I wear my rabbit fur hat(LOL). Have fun with it, I know you will.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what can I say. :wub: I love this gun! :killer: I've been through ~100 rounds but it was worth every bit! :dollar: Was at a local gun show yesterday and I'm going back today to see if I can score any stuff to mod my Saiga. I found a rubberized SAW style PG with a thumb groove and a compartment in the bottom for $17 that I may have to buy tomorrow as well as one of the telescoping 6 position stocks ($47 in black, olive, or tan). I'm kinda torn between PG/stock or the Fiberforce stock set with built in PG that I can get for $53. I added a 2 rail picatinny/weaver mount with a 1X zoom red/green dot scope so far and I'm looking to add a raised front sight and Muzzle brake.

I'm not quite sure what my approach to the handguard will be, multi rail or just a Galil style. . Decisions! :cryss:

Anywho, picked up some Silver Bear 97 grain sabot slugs for $3.50 a box and some Winchester Super X 000 Buckshot for $4.00 a box.

Also, my brother wondered why I wanted one of these things soo bad. So, I let him shoot it. :D:lol: He likes it, to say the least :)

Tons O info here, this forum is amazing and has answered TONS of questions without having to ask =) I've been searching a lot =))

Keep up the good work! :super::up:

Edit: also added a sling from Wallyworld, actually a rifle sling but it seats my .410 shells perfectly. Its camo with 4 elastic bands to hold shells and has a very comfortable neoprene shoulder strap. :up:

Edited by Jkimes

Enlisted into Dinzags services, ordered me a FSB and Brake from him, ordered me 150 rounds of silver bears from the above link, ordered 4 more mags, and i'm going later today to get somekind of a handguard and something else to make my gun compliant now that I've added the PG. I can't wait to get all my parts and pieces together and get my gun finished (as if i'll ever actually be "Done"). OH yeah, bought some black grill enamel to paint up the epoxy that i'm working on sanding down.

This is fun!