FrankenMags

^^^^AegisDei, you crazy F'r................You went and sliced up your brand new mags already didn't you. This is just a b.s. post so at the end you can post "Like This" isn't it. I know you did, geeees. I'm gonna go take another look at your Avitar just to make sure.

Just in case Im wrong, someone who has pleas post. Jamshot stretched theirs out to what, 16(?) ,and they seem to be functining just fine and oddly enough the sem to be able to handle the gun just fine.

The avatar is my S20 with it's 15 rounder.

I haven't yet started carving up the new AGPs: it's the middle of a busy school week. :angel: Perhaps this weekend. :devil:

I figure if you cut one of the AGPs in half, and hack the top off of one and the bottom off of another, then weld the halves onto the topless/bottomless ones you'll get 2 15rnd magazines for $180, or $90/magazine: the same price I paid for a Russian 8rnder, but 2x the capacity!

I may see if 20 is doable once I check how the springs are and see if the 15rnders work reliably. I just think 20 would be too monstrous, and then I'd only get one magazine for $120, which is steep especially when many competitions limit stages to 10rnd capacity.

I just wanted to hear if anyone else has tried it yet...I know I can't be the only HIGH cap junkie here. Everyone talks about practicing reloads, I say "let's just not reload." :killer:

Aegisdei,

You are right that most competitions will limit you to 10+1. This WOULD be fun for the occasional match that would let you slide. There was video up a year back with Wakal using his USAS12 and a 20 round drum (can I say that? hehehe). VERY COOL. One or two "big sticks" would be nice to have for th range bag.

I'd guess there are limitations that keep the Finns to the length they have (thier open division is IPSC and has NO mag capacity restrictions). We should definitely learn from their previous work. I spoke with them some years back (via email). IIRC, they work to get them reliable, so that's got to be a smooth weld (inside) and good spring function. But the other reason is the torque of a long mag during recoil acting on the couple of contact points. As this is competition, and you chose the mag to fit the course and most shooting is standing (for shotguns), mags being "too long" never came up as a restraint. But, making 2 15 round mags seems like a good number to try. (remember that there is no insert in these mags). Kevin, will this void the waranty? LOL.

If you want to go longer, I'd suggest taping a full mag at a length to mimic your goal. Fire off some hot rounds and then carefully inspect the mag to see if torque has caused any damage.

When AGP has sold his millionth unit, and the pricing has dropped to $15 / mag, I just might have to try this. Untill then, I'm content to watch others to see if it can be done (me + welding of anything = sloppy!).

I just want to get my 3 I preordered from one of the vendors who ordered a bunch up. I know that that can't send them until they get them and I know AGp is booked but dang I really want them. I probably won't shoot it but a few times and throw it in the safe but at least I will have it! I got my first MG and thought I'd shoot the barrel off and I think I've shot 2k through it since I got it a year and a half ago. But hey it is mine and I can shoot it when I want!

Aegisdei,

You are right that most competitions will limit you to 10+1. This WOULD be fun for the occasional match that would let you slide. There was video up a year back with Wakal using his USAS12 and a 20 round drum (can I say that? hehehe). VERY COOL. One or two "big sticks" would be nice to have for th range bag.

I'd guess there are limitations that keep the Finns to the length they have (thier open division is IPSC and has NO mag capacity restrictions). We should definitely learn from their previous work. I spoke with them some years back (via email). IIRC, they work to get them reliable, so that's got to be a smooth weld (inside) and good spring function. But the other reason is the torque of a long mag during recoil acting on the couple of contact points. As this is competition, and you chose the mag to fit the course and most shooting is standing (for shotguns), mags being "too long" never came up as a restraint. But, making 2 15 round mags seems like a good number to try. (remember that there is no insert in these mags). Kevin, will this void the waranty? LOL.

If you want to go longer, I'd suggest taping a full mag at a length to mimic your goal. Fire off some hot rounds and then carefully inspect the mag to see if torque has caused any damage.

When AGP has sold his millionth unit, and the pricing has dropped to $15 / mag, I just might have to try this. Untill then, I'm content to watch others to see if it can be done (me + welding of anything = sloppy!).

The finns used a homemade magwell which helped to support the recoil torque of the long mag.

Also, regarding the AGP mags, I'm under the impression that they do have the metal inserts imbedded in there at the front and back lug areas.

The finns used a homemade magwell which helped to support the recoil torque of the long mag.

Also, regarding the AGP mags, I'm under the impression that they do have the metal inserts imbedded in there at the front and back lug areas.

I believe the finns originally had issues BECAUSE of the magwell. While it does help mitigate the torque by reducing the lever arm length, it also created a new contact patch on a weaker part of the magazine body not designed to deal with any torque. So I don't believe it's a magic solution.

I know the S20 has lower torque than a S12, but my 15rnders work fine in it. I've not tried with magnum loads, but I imagine it'd still be ok. And the AGPs are stronger than my S20 frankenmags (2 welded joints vs. 1 welded joint+metal inserts)

And a S12 will kick less than a S20 with the right recoil-reducing measures so I'm not too worried about the magazine length being an issue except when used in conjunction with a mag-well, and even then I don't think it will be a big concern.

Drum? :ph34r: :ph34r:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of drums. It gives the gun a bit more awkward balance IMO, they're VERY expensive to produce (even if production was a possibility), and they're impossible to carry. The 15rnders are awkward, but they do still slide into leg-pouches or vests. A drum, not so much.

Most of the problems we run into were just because of too low followers. Yes, we were too greedy to get +1. Too low follower doesn't keep feeding angle right and so cheapest 28g (IPSC limit) and short (67-70mm) birdshots we used did find a way to get stuck over BE. ...And Saigas were hardly shot enought to say they were broke-in. That magwell keeps the mag from rocking and thus mag catch has all the load to carry. :( In normal set-up it is divided to front and rear. And depending on what you use to feed your Saiga you either lower the torque or increase it. Light loads don't recoil that much and mag is also lighter but heavy loads recoil more and add weight to mag too. ;)

Use external metal inserts to give more strenght to it. I've been told that that 10 rounder is made of two halves, so cut another half shorter than another and reverse on mag to be added. Thus you can use existing skrews to align and fix those halves correctly plus weld isn't in one level anymore which also lowers possibilities to jam follower. ...At least with AR frankenmags (49-53 rounders) angled cut was only really efective solution to prevent follower jams. :D

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

Use external metal inserts to give more strenght to it. I've been told that that 10 rounder is made of two halves, so cut another half shorter than another and reverse on mag to be added. Thus you can use existing skrews to align and fix those halves correctly plus weld isn't in one level anymore which also lowers possibilities to jam follower. ...

Awesome idea!!! Thanks Jamshot!