Illegal saigas

Is it legal to have a saiga without a stock and only a pistol grip. For some reason I think that its not.

TO CLARIFY. im talking about a saiga 12 that has NO stock! JUST a pistol grip. Like the ar15 pistol.

Awaiting enlightenment..

As long as it has an 18" bbl and 26"(I think) overall length and has the correct number of US parts it's fine.

You could have a micro S-12 if you bought it as a SBS. I don't think you can have a 12ga pistol.

12ga pistol = 12ga AOW, must be registered and carries the same stipulations on receivers that an AK pistol would.

You can make your own short barreled shotgun with the same paperwork to the ATF and a $200 tax.

If a Saiga-12 were already made as an AOW you could transfer for $5 and all the same papers. But making either one without a license is $200, so I would recommend that route as opposed to trying to build a Saiga-12 on a virgin receiver.

In order to make an AOW it must be a virgin receiver, or a pistol receiver. It must never have had a stock on it. I don't believe any virgin receivers have been imported, or clone knock-offs created. So for now SBS is the only option, but SBS can be stockless.

Confused yet? :unsure:

Geister

A shotgun only becomes a short barrelled shotgun when it becomes less than 26" OAL or 18" barrel length. A saiga with no buttstock and an 18" barrel is still about 27-28" long. It hasnt become an SBS or AOW.

To become an SBS, you would need to cut down the barrel below 18" or cut off enough receiver to render the gun non-functional.

To make a saiga AOW, you would need to bend an AK pistol receiver (it is the same as a normal AK only with different guts and barrel) and build up your saiga on it. And it would still cost 200 dollars unless you were an SOT (in which case it would be free to make and $5 to transfer thereafter).

Now, just some clearification? So, If you bought a ak receiver marked "pistol" are you saying that since the Saiga was never offered as a pistol, your saying you couldn't build a AOW Saiga??? I'm confused as there are a number of AR15 "pistols" being sold as well as Ak "pistols" that use the receiver marked "pistol"..... maybe Tony will jump in???. I'm familiar with NFA stuff. So, clear the air??? Looks like Beer slurppy is on the know? mike NM

Edited by mikeNM

In short, you can't make a 12 gauge PISTOL in the U.S.

- A smooth bore pistol pistol is not a pistol... it's an AOW.

- A rifled bore 12gauge pistol is not a pistol, it's a DD because the round is greater than 50 cal.

You can make a 12 gauge AOW, but (as others pointed out) you need to start the conversion with a receiver that has NEVER had a stock on it, and preferably was papered on the 4473 as a pistol. In short, home building your own receiver is probably the easier route if you absolutely have to have an AOW. That way you can make sure all the specs - dimensions, sheetmetal gauge, cuts, holes, etc are exact.

If you want NFA and you're not an SOT, you'll pay $200 making tax for an AOW or an SBS. Personally... I see no reason for the AOW unless you live in a state that does not allow SBSs. With an SBS, you have a folded stock and get the same pistol effect with the capablility for shoulder firing. Alternatively, you could just remove the stock as well.

So if I had the credentials to own a SBS could one theoretically own one of tony's micro s12's w/o the stock?

You already sound as if yoyu know the answer to your question. A reminder, no amount of bad advice will overcome the guilt under the law, bud, if that is what you are trying to acquire.