Dinzags retainer set

Please Keep in mind through this entire bit of typing that this is the way that I did it, also I randomly misspell words so take it as a rough set of directions not the bible. (Also keep in mind this was sent to see if someone with little mechanical ability could pull it off). Dinzag has not endorsed these directions, so you can wait for a typed set or just read...

That disclaimer being out of the way on with the pictures :super:

post-1914-1168546968_thumb.jpg

minus the packaging (and the 12 gauge shell) this is what you get in the mail

post-1914-1168547014_thumb.jpg

And thats what the retainer looks like in pieces

post-1914-1168547047_thumb.jpg

That is a Saiga x39 ready for some AK handguards, now if you can't get to that part look up "handguard removal". Ready to begin?

post-1914-1168547182_thumb.jpg

Lower handguard slides in like so

post-1914-1168547230_thumb.jpg

That is lower part of the retainer on the lower handguard, My lower's "spring" was quite stiff so it took some grip to get the retainer to stay put.

post-1914-1168547318_thumb.jpg

That is the Upper part of the retainer threaded (just barely) onto the lower part of the retainer, To get this without going a bit nutts I actually slid the whole retainer assembly forward off the handguard to start the screws, then I pushed it back on. The middle screw in the top of the upper handguard is loose at this time

post-1914-1168547476_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1168547492_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the fuzzy pics but I can't see to find (if there is one) a setting on the camera for close up shots. What is going on here is I was screwing down the two outside screws (the ones that were just threaded so I could slip the assembly back onto the lower handguard). Take it slow and try to line up the lower part of the retainer and the upper part of the retainer so the gap level. Once you have the gap leveled out make sure those screws are tight. Then take the smaller allen wrench and tighten down the middle screw once you have the retainer seated on the handguard (In my finished pictures you can see a gap still).

post-1914-1168547934_thumb.jpg

Ready for the upper handguard

post-1914-1168547976_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1168547824_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1168547842_thumb.jpg

and ta-da one mechanically non-inclined college bound monkey way's of making Dinzags lower retainer fit

Nice write up!

With diznags new retainer, you almost don't even need one. Great job to both of you!

This is definitely on my personal "Must-Have" list. If all goes well and stays well, it is certainly worth the price.

Well after about another 10 mins with the retainer I got it on more soild than when I took the orginal pictures, there is no gap now between the retainer and the lower handguard. Let me rephrase there is the normal ammount of gap there is there with a standard retainer but not as much as a gap as my pictures show.

Totally awsome product :super: The handguard is soild on there.

Nice work & write-up my man! :up: I purposefully left out instructions to see if you could do it.

I'll just use yours now, thanks!

Thanks for posting up pics too, I only took two before I shipped it.

Just drop me a line if you need more, but as you can see my Pic-fu is weak

Nice work & write-up my man! :up: I purposefully left out instructions to see if you could do it.

I'll just use yours now, thanks!

Thanks for posting up pics too, I only took two before I shipped it.

Just drop me a line if you need more, but as you can see my Pic-fu is weak

Ah yes, but you are now strong in the way of Saiga-Fu.

• 1 month later...

The set screw on the top of the retainer holds the assembly in place, in addition to the clamping pressure of the retainer. Once it is on it's very solid.

Dinzag is updating the design a little, so that the set screw will be on the bottom in order to be more accessible to those with larger diameter barrels (ie .308).